can you feel the energy?

J

JohnEmmett

Piet Mondrian.jpg

Mondrian

people often claim you must "see in person"

whereas I can feel the energy from the image

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't do much for me. Nice graphic design/composition but I'd likely walk right past it in the museum. I far prefer his early flower paintings:

85909104b52581821ede97a076c6b83d.500.jpg

piet-mondrian-chrysanthemum.jpg

Having said that, Mondrian's geometric paintings are a great way of introducing students Horizontal and Vertical Lines, Primary Colors, Abstraction, and beginning to use paint.

I see Mondrian's pieces like these another step in the cubist's tradition, IMO. Simplified.

K, although you should know better…
than to say it is just what it seems
and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mondrian's best and most-often quoted expression of this theory, however, comes from a letter he wrote to H. P. Bremmer in 1914:

I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things… I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true.

From Wikipedia

I was just saying the energy from the image is felt by me.

Positive, austere, calming…

I once saw a woman at a party wearing a dress with a mondrian pattern. The way her figure enhanced the pattern was energizing.

Contrast! Hard edged geometry and natural curves.

I was just saying the energy from the image is felt by me.

And I was just saying it did nothing for me.

Back