Art Reincarnation

MrBungle

Not sure how i feel about this…

I mean it’s cool. Giving the art a 2nd life. How would you feel seeing your art work treated this way?

That is sort of my thought too. I don't think I could paint over those beautiful paintings. The painting is good but the originals were beautiful.

Prints are different I think.

Original paintings--I've seen tons of artists do this. It seems like a gimmick to me, but it is what it is. I don't think it's legal in a lot of states to tell you the truth. I doubt anyone is getting in any kind of trouble for it, but as far as I know, in California, you can't destroy an artist's work, even after it's sold to you (or the secondary market). It's still not "your" image to desecrate.

Prints are different I think.

Original paintings--I've seen tons of artists do this. It seems like a gimmick to me, but it is what it is. I don't think it's legal in a lot of states to tell you the truth. I doubt anyone is getting in any kind of trouble for it, but as far as I know, in California, you can't destroy an artist's work, even after it's sold to you (or the secondary market). It's still not "your" image to desecrate.
Total gimmick.

I think even Ed Ruscha has done it, unless he actually painted the original artwork in the backgrounds, which may be the case. They look like old thrift store paintings from the 60s or something. I'll try to find some, or find out.

Back