August 2022 Watermedia Challenge

Jo, you are learning and making progress. Tip: Lay in your darkest value/color first, then put in mid-tones followed by lightest lights and it’s much easier.

Watercolor on cold press
615E9804-FA6B-43E4-861F-E3AF7E3FE8D9.jpeg

Jo...Very nice work on the bike. At first I thought that you had posted the original and a close-up. But then I realised that they were two paintings. Both are lovely though I prefer the second one.

I too decided that I needed to do "something more" to my hydrangeas. This was also the view of a number of persons who viewed it and commented on it (elsewhere). I therefore spent some time on it yesterday and here is the result....

Hydrangea - WC.jpg

Mesmerizing nature up close, Scamall, I like this one very much!
Bah, the changes worked! Sometimes we have to let them simmer on a back burner awhile.

Thank you Kay.
I agree with you about letting them simmer for a while. Invariably I notice errors and get ideas for improving my work only after posting it. So these days I first post on whatsapp to a couple of small, closed groups, await comments and suggestions, and then post to the wider world.

Scamall, the butterfly is awesome. (I don't use that word often, but it fits here!)

Balaji, the hydrangea is beautiful. Both versions, but I always like richer colors. Nice work.

Scamall, I found it difficult as well. I love the way you did the grasses. It looks beautiful to me. Makes me smile.

This hasn't come out the way I wanted it to. But I enjoyed doing it. I guess I'll mull over it for a couple of days and then decide whether I would like to tweak it, and if so how to do it.

By the way, it is a 20 cm x 13 cm watercolour sketch in a 300 gsm Strathmore watercolour sketchbook.

Turbulent Waters - WC.jpg

Back