Asking for critique

Grizabella

Was Ellen E. on Wet Canvas
I painted this cougar from a reference photo that depicted the animal as being dark like this. The background is snow and I realize that somehow I got a bloom or something at the top of the painting. I didn't see it in time to correct it.

I posted this picture on Wet Canvas and received 2 comments, one of them being that I should make some grass he's emerging from. Another commentor stated that they liked his expression. The only changes I made before posting the picture here is that I added light in the eyes and whiskers and "eyebrow" whiskers.

I didn't add any grass because I was afraid I'd mess up the whole painting. I'm quite well-accomplished at ruining paintings with last-minute details like that so I chose to be safe rather than sorry since I'm pretty satisfied with the cougar.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• 20221016_154351.jpg
    20221016_154351.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
It is a great snow scene, too, so play that up by adding cool and warm shadows to that, especially under his belly and behind/beside his right flank where there appears to be cast shadows. IMO that is all it needs.

I agree with Kay about the shadows. Otherwise, I think your big cat is beautiful! :)

Good job! Take Kay's suggestions on shadows and it will be a great job.❤️ :)

It's a very good cougar! I am also in agreement about the shadows, I don't think it needs anything else added to the scene because the snow is great. The bloom is fine, I didn't notice it.

I am wondering about the body shape of the puma. The backpart seems rather big, maybe not in perspective?

You’ve done an excellent job so far. I agree with all of the above, including E.J.H.’s comments.

It is a wonderful early winter scene. The expression on face and movement are well done.

It looks like your focal would be the face and extended foreleg and paw. I think that lowering the rump a bit, maybe starting a bit behind his left ear and slicing off a triangle shape back to the tail bone, and reshaping/softening that line might help with the size and perspective. It would also give more emphasis to the face and paw. (I would either trace it and try it on scrap paper, or place a piece of glass over him and try it with removable paint before changing that on here. I think that might also make his body look longer. As you soften that shape, paint it lighter, “fuzzier” so it’s a bit out of focus. Everything not the face or leg/paw should begin to lose focus. Review both linear and Atmospheric Perspective. (I struggle with both) So even on this animal, AP would suggest a slight lightening of contrast from front to rear.

I think your coloring is good, but your shadows are going to Viewer left, so I think his right side should be darker, his back lighter (reverse them) and the area on his left side (facing the light, should be lighter also.

Please remember these are my opinions only. I hope this helps.

Back