Aphantasia

What happened to science being misleading and the reasons why we make art being based on imagination not being much of anything? :LOL:

imagination is very helpful in writing a novel

but the novel is the vision

even the author can't read until he writes

It's not barely anything. I disagree, but then again, I disagree with most of your statements--mostly because you don't put them in the context of opinion. You write them as if they are truths.

Based on this theory that imagination is hardly something, that would not be a reason "we" paint or write. Sorry, but I am not included in this "we."
Please add me to the "we not included" list

Last edited:
Maybe there is only darkness in your eyes. On a bad day when I close my eyes I "see" a kaleidoscope of fractals in rainbows of colours. On a good day I can see complete abstracts or landscapes and can examine any detail I choose to zoom in on.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Wow, thats really unusual. I had never heard of it.
I had never heard of it either Katie, until about a year ago. I didn't realize I was any different from anyone else. I just thought black was what everyone saw. Now I find those are in the minority. :giggle:

I think it's likely they see black

they speak misleadingly about what they "see"

I'm not going to argue the point with you John. I started the thread to see what others thought of the "condition", not to start a debate.

Last edited:
Are you able to visualize images Musket? I am sincerely interested to know.

I have phenomenal long term memory recall in every respect, visual, aural, olfactory and emotional, and can easily conjure up images in my mind. I could do the same with a prospective piece of artwork, have an image in my mind of what I wanted it to look like.

But I'm not sure this is the same thing as visualization. I can do it with my eyes open or closed. It isn't like I see things projected on some sort of screen when I close them.

Me three. My short term memory is not great at all. Like when someone (mjp) shows me how to do something on the computer, I seem to forget the next day. Ha.

When I was painting large abstracts I would often mentally take the image to bed with me so that I could work on it in my mind's eye. Looking back that was probably borderline obsessive but at the time I used to find it helpful.

Back