ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE, JUNE, 2023

Joy - Your Dolphin is really nice. Actually thats the best choice of media for the painting. Water, and colors match fluidly and is very natural looking. Well Done.
Lesley - Nice looking, looks like an illustration. Actually you should explore adding high contrasts as ink if you like to play with empty space.
Christel - Lovely rendering of the wolf. Charcoal is very easy to move while working, hope you used several layers of fixative while drawing. Difficult to handle from how delicate you need to be in every layer, yet the level of detail you can get out of charcoal is unmatch by other media.
Ams - So cute and lovely. Is really fantastic.
Joe - Good attempt, yet digital world allows you far more flexibility, I suggest you blur your image to the point is unrecognizable any detail and use it as reference to get general shapes, and light of the subject. Like the complete background. Then use the reference and get the delineation of what you would like to enhance.
Tam - Lapse of process is really cool. Certainly youer end dolphin image is really Jazzy.. Has a really nice color combination.
JStarr - super cool, I love the colors and the way you composed it. What media and size if applicable?
Fede - Big one.

Gasp! I just remembered now to post my work. I'll return with comments.
1/8 sheet of watermedia paper, ink and marker.

animals-june2023.jpg

Cheers,

JStarr - super cool, I love the colors and the way you composed it. What media and size if applicable?
It's small for me- 9"x12"; soft pastel on toned UArt sanded paper.

I caught a glimpse of it this morning as I looked at the clean-up I had to do in my studio and I really liked it; it looks whimsical and fun. I'm pretty sure I have a frame for it tucked away in a drawer someplace. If not, standard size, so cut a bright lavender-purple mat and frame it--
Thanks for your interest.

It's small for me- 9"x12"; soft pastel on toned UArt sanded paper.

I caught a glimpse of it this morning as I looked at the clean-up I had to do in my studio and I really liked it; it looks whimsical and fun. I'm pretty sure I have a frame for it tucked away in a drawer someplace. If not, standard size, so cut a bright lavender-purple mat and frame it--
Thanks for your interest.
pastels get ruined fast, better frame it soon.. is a keeper :)

lovely inputs eyepaint... have you tried rapidographs? they look very crunchy as ink work..

Gasp! I just remembered now to post my work. I'll return with comments.
1/8 sheet of watermedia paper, ink and marker.

View attachment 31370

Cheers,
These are terrific! I like the dabs of neon-ish pink- and I am not a pink-attracted person!
pastels get ruined fast, better frame it soon.. is a keeper :)
I have a roll of glassine and make envelopes for keepers. I'm thinking my older sister, who likes whimsical works, might need it for her upcoming still-older-than-me birthday....

Joy - yay the fun face on the dolphin!
Lesley - ooh lovely eyes on your critter
Christel - ooh lovely work on the brown paper.
Anne - awwww white puppy :)
joe1lt - all look at that lovely furry face :)
TamPaints - lovely jazzy twist :)
JStarr - lovely squiggly marks :) And thank you.
fedonty - oooh so! well! done! And thank you. I haven't heard of rapidographs - I must investigate. Oooh techinical pens I could buy from DeSerres. Koh-I-Noor? One I see has a price tag of $45!? Another is showing $40. What nib size do you recommend? I see 3x0, 2x0, 0.35MM, 4, 4x0, 1. 2, 6x0, 2.5. I don't know what they mean ...

fedonty - oooh so! well! done! And thank you. I haven't heard of rapidographs - I must investigate. Oooh techinical pens I could buy from DeSerres. Koh-I-Noor? One I see has a price tag of $45!? Another is showing $40. What nib size do you recommend? I see 3x0, 2x0, 0.35MM, 4, 4x0, 1. 2, 6x0, 2.5. I don't know what they mean ...
IMG_20230625_002320.jpg

You can do quite neat stuff.. a sample of my notebook:
IMG_20230325_210951.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments on my puppy.

EP, nice ones.

JStarr, love what you did with rapidograph.

I just realized that I had done a pen and ink of the dolphin not too long ago. It is about 5" x 7" in XL Mix Media sketchbook.
Here it is:

20230213Sk7 Dolphin (WDE).png

Thanks everyone for your comments on my puppy.

EP, nice ones.

JStarr, love what you did with rapidograph.

I just realized that I had done a pen and ink of the dolphin not too long ago. It is about 5" x 7" in XL Mix Media sketchbook.
Here it is:

View attachment 31384
Terrific work on the dolphon

Fedonty - oooh thank you for the samples of the rapidograph pense :) I love the swoopy wavy marks in your notebook page.
Anne - thank you. What a fun looking guy

JStarr, great work on the sheep. Love the texture and colour and I like how you carried it into the background.

Fedetony - lovely, I really like the light.

E.P. - Fun sketches, I like the touches of pink.

Anne - lovely linework!

Here's mine, I managed to get it finished today. It's ink and watercolour on hot press paper, 1/4 sheet.

20230625_202316.jpg

Long version:

I chose the butterflies, because I just love painting them. I thought the colours in the picture would suit a nice sepia tone. I decided to make the picture look like an old and weathered illustration, mainly because the narrow field of view which blurred some of the details, and also because I wanted to abuse my paper and see how much water I could throw at it. It turns out, quite a bit.

Some progress pics of the initial ink sketch (I used a sanguine Pitt pen)

20230610_202455.jpg

20230610_210406.jpg

Then I alternated totally saturating the paper using a water sprayer and throwing paint at it:

20230618_234413.jpg

I then added detail to the butterflies and threw water and pink paint at the flowers, then added more of the sepia wash over the top for good measure.

What I used: 300g hot press Arches paper (I love this stuff); yellow ochre, burnt sienna and raw umber for the background and butterflies; permanent rose, a bit of potter's pink and leaf green for the flowers, and a touch of lunar black for the antennae and various other things.

Not 100% happy with it, but I ran out of time. Maybe I'll come back to it in a couple of weeks.

Here's mine, I managed to get it finished today. It's ink and watercolour on hot press paper, 1/4 sheet.

View attachment 31407

Long version:

I chose the butterflies, because I just love painting them. I thought the colours in the picture would suit a nice sepia tone. I decided to make the picture look like an old and weathered illustration, mainly because the narrow field of view which blurred some of the details, and also because I wanted to abuse my paper and see how much water I could throw at it. It turns out, quite a bit.

Some progress pics of the initial ink sketch (I used a sanguine Pitt pen)

View attachment 31408

View attachment 31409

Then I alternated totally saturating the paper using a water sprayer and throwing paint at it:

View attachment 31410
Terrific perspective- a difficult angle to catch and you caught it!

Kay, what a wonderful version! Thanks so much for the WIP; I just love watching those! I have a block of the same paper, but have not used it yet. Since I use a lot of water, that was helpful info. I can't imagine what you don't like about it, other than perpetual artist's dissatisfaction with their work. ;) You can perhaps add a bit or orange about the periphery of the wings, and maybe a bit more color on the flowers just under them, to link them to the flowers more. But that may spoil the freshness and the effect that you have achieved. If I painted this, I would be well pleased.

thanks for the nice words .
Fedetony thank you very much for the advice.
ams, fedetony, EP ,Triduana wonderful job

i tried a colored digital drawing. I would like to ask for advice, if the previous drawings without color are worth it or better, coloring asks for 10 times or 50 times the time of the drawings I do without.
looking at him,

reference, it was more inclined, I don't know if I should have considered it finished or perhaps add texture?, fur, some detail in this one, and perhaps if the face should be highlighted with a line

2023-06-26 01-36.jpeg

..last question, does this digital brush have grain, is it ugly to look at?, i use this one because i find it easier to use and i like it quite a lot, doubt and if grain avoids making it more realistic if i could make fewer mistakes, maybe i should use one more for the details, but I didn't find it suitable, one I was thinking of looks like a little brush, the one I only use in pencil, I didn't think, bo

Last edited:
Triduana, I love your butterfly. Thanks for the step by step as well.

Joe, I love your wolf. I think this is one of the most successful color paintings you have done.

Back