Animal & Wildlife Challenge for May 2023

since today is the last day of the month, I made these early this morning. digital drawings.

I made the first and the penultimate with a brush that imitates a charcoal pencil,
since for some years real coal has been bothering my eyes, I thought I would use it a lot when I took a tablet with digital coal, but my result seemed further from the real medium, it seems to me better when I use digital pencil or digital crayon so it I'm using very little.
I think digital, it's a compromise but in reality I've seen drawings, there are artists who make drawings in digital charcoal that it's impossible for me to distinguish from real charcoal, like an artist from Cyprus, but in reality they make fantastic things even with real means and every instrument

2023-05-31 12-16 3.jpeg
2023-05-31 12-16 4.jpeg
2023-05-31 12-16 5.jpeg
2023-05-31 12-16 2.jpeg
2023-05-31 12-16 1.jpeg

Well, this is eleventh hour, and not so great. My first foray with Inktense was a learning curve. The Strathmore sketchbook was not good paper, and a lot got messy, as I was quite rushed at the end. I definitely need more practice with it! It seems as if it was not as vibrant as desired, and I could have done better with watercolor.

IMG_0919.jpeg

Please excuse any tardiness of my replies; I am having work done in my home. Ironically, it is painting! First there was a lot of wallpaper removal, which is the devil's invention. Several rooms, ceilings, etc. are being painted, and this is the third week. So we have been scurrying about moving furniture, cleaning, and transferring bits and bobs from one room to the next. Between doing our regular workouts, getting groceries and the like, I have done no art at all for almost a month. I missed all of the monthly challenges, etc. Wednesday they finally finished, staying past 7:00 PM. HUGE cleanup now - I am barely sane. We bought the house in 1991 and did nearly nothing to the house that was not necessary until a few years ago. The last few days we did a lot of cleaning, so things are better now. A lot of small things were missed in the big project, which is to be expected. It is nearly impossible to get house painters; we waited for months.

I really wanted to do a piece for many challenges here and on another forum. I started my A & W very early May, then got the call the painters had scheduled us. Oddly enough, the bathroom work that we have been waiting on since the beginning of the year wanted to start the same day as the painters, but we are letting that wait. They both called within minutes of each other wanting to start the same day. What are the chances?!

Joe, the drawings look good. You are really improving with the shading. One can never go wrong with some very dark accents to give more depth to the work.

Joy: A lovely bird - hopefully all the work is being wrapped up and you can get your house and sanity back! :)

Joy - Looks pretty vibrant to me. Inktense Pencils are always brighter when wet. Ive been using them for years and love them. They have rescued many failed watercolors for me. And find they are definitely more permanent than Watercolor Pencils.

Thanks everyone who took part in this May challenge! :)

(Once again I failed miserably ... I've been carrying my reference with me everywhere, all month, and still it is not even started :( )

Joe - thank you for starting us off! I love your sketches, the expressive lines and the energy. Really like the dog's fur. Love the cowbird too - the pose is perfect :). Your cat and prairie dog are really cute.

E.P. - great sketches, I especially like the catfish and the seahorse! Nice use of pink and green.

Kay - lovely take on the seahorse, it has a real underwater feel to it.

Christel - lovely moth, I like the textures on its body and wings and I like the way you've done the flowers.

Vivien - cute prairie dog, lovely soft look to its nose.

Joy - sounds like you are having a really busy time! I am impressed you find time to join in - lovely take on the bee-eater, I like the change to a more natural perch and the colours are spot-on.

Kay. - Thank you very much for hosting - it's very much appreciated, Sorry
I wasn't able to contribute, I had the ref printed but did not manage to do it. Hope to
contribute next month.

Thankyou for all the great work everyone.

Cheers,
Patricia

That's OK Patricia! I didn't get anything done either. I still have my printout though so I might get it done yet.

Perhaps very few will see this, but better late than never! This is ink/wash in a Strathmore Visual Journal, 140CP, measuring 7 x 11.

IMG_0943.jpeg

Back