ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE APRIL 2023

This is an ink/wash on CansonXL 140CP, 9 x 6. I took some photos when the ink was applied, then the BG using plastic wrap (cling film), and the final piece. The paper lifts too easily, so it is hard to layer.

IMG_0866.jpeg
IMG_0869.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

Vivien, beautiful, vibrant painting. I had a free sample of the Atelier and had trouble using them also but to be fair, I haven't done much in Acrylics. I like how yours came out.

Joy, nice work on your tiger. I know what you mean about difficulty having multiple layers on the sketchbook paper. Despite the problem, the end result is lovely. I like what you did with the background. That is always a problem for me.

It seems that every medium or support has it's pros and cons. I haven't found the "perfect" combination yet!

The reveal day kind of sneaked up on me so I guess I better get painting! With all these beautiful references, I have to at least do one and maybe more if I have time.

Joy - Love your plastic wrap background! Goes so well with the beautiful tiger.
Anne - Thank you. Yes Atelier Interactive are difficult! Ive had them for about 10 years and I bring them out to try once again, from time to time. Ive never heard from anyone who actually likes them!

Vivien, beautiful painting.
Joy, beautiful tiger, and I really like, even the background and the surface

Joe, nice work. I especially like the baby ram.

EP, nice ones this month. I especially like the flamingo, the parrot and the crowned crane.

Vivien - what a lovely flamingo!
Joy - what a sunning expression on your tiger's face! Love the effect on the bg :)
joe1lt - look at the curious face on the first little guy (lemur?) and thank you.
Anne - thank you
Kay - yay there is your lively flamingo :) Do you mind me asking you what colours of wc you used here? I have a lot to learn about the medium.

Kay, beautiful work on the Yupo. Your technique worked really well. One of the best Yupo paintings I have seen. Love the colors and the way they blended.

I did the turtle. This is a small sketch I started in the dentist's office while I was waiting for my husband to be finished. It's only about 3.5" x 5.5". I started with a freehand pencil sketch, added ink and then finally watercolor.

This was done in a Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook. I didn't like the surface as much as I do the XL Mix Media pad I usually use. This paper was a little rougher so the ink didn't go on as smoothly.

20230421Sk4 Turtle (Wildlife Challenge-CS).png

Joe - The head of the meerkat and body are drawn well. I think putting a shadow under the body near the paws (feet) and making the feet not as long near the body would make it look more natural. The little goat is very nice with nice shading.

EP - Always look forward to your montage!

Kay - Rich, juicy, and vibrant!

Anne - I thought that came out really nicely! Thanks for the info on the Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook, as I thought they were highly rated. Interesting you like the XL Mixed Media pad, as I loathe the Canson XL watercolor sketchbook.

:D And thank you all for your kind comments!

Anne - I thought that came out really nicely! Thanks for the info on the Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook, as I thought they were highly rated. Interesting you like the XL Mixed Media pad, as I loathe the Canson XL watercolor sketchbook.
Joy, I have worked in Stillman & Birn Zeta and liked that better. That one is heavyweight which I like but it is very smooth, like hot press. I like a little more texture. XL Mix Media seems to be in the middle of the two. Stillman & Birn makes several different weights and surfaces. You have to try different ones out to see if one fits your requirements.

Things that will affect your preference are how wet you like to work, how many layers you like to use, whether you want to be able to lift paint after it dries, whether you like to use pen and ink with it, etc.

Reactions: Joy
Christel, love the dark BG. I couldn't get the open mouth looking natural in mine, so I altered it.

thanks very much, ams ,Christel, wonderful job
Joy, thanks so much for the pointers and tips for drawing the lemur. I will try to make these changes and publish the drawing

Back