Animal And Wildlife Challenge May 2024

Joy

Contributing Member
Hello, and welcome to our monthly ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE.

On the first day of each month various photos and a reference subject
will be provided,

Please choose from the photos or the reference subject provided or both
to create an artwork in any medium.

You can use the photo’s or reference subject to create any kind of artwork that you like .
Please use only the photo’s or the reference subject provided.

Please post your artwork starting on the 15th day of the month [This is the 'Reveal Day ]

You can continue to post your artwork from the 15th until the end of the month.

- AND , if you wish, any WIP [works in progress] photo’s that you might have
taken while you were doing your artwork and any comments about it.

These were all photos taken by me.

Our late cat, Jake.

IMG_3068.jpeg

Mantis on our window.

IMG_7494.jpeg

Family members Rhodesian Ridgeback, Gwennie

IMG_3846.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg
IMG_1540.jpeg
IMG_0717.jpeg

Above was green monkey in St Kitts, sheep in Canada, and penguins at Boston Zoo. I tired to put the text between the photos on edit, but could not.

Below is gull in Acadia Park, Maine.

IMG_6754.jpeg

Lemur in Bermuda Zoo

IMG_0477.jpeg

Fish in Bermuda Aquarium - Please identify if you can.

IMG_0169.jpeg

Cock-of-the-Rock in Cartagena, Colombia

IMG_8573.jpeg

This isn't part of the challenge, but some towel animals on a cruise ship!

IMG_1831.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Lovely photo's Joy. Thanks for hosting.
Cheers,
Patricia

Glad to, Patricia. IDK why the thumbnail of Jake was the only one that showed. I did upload him separately at first, but then saw a way to upload multiple files. I still do not see a way to get text between the photos for ID unless i upload each separately.

Joy, great photos. The cock of the rock made me smile. Gene's boss was given a stuffed one in Bolivia. He gave it to our son Larry. We carried it back to Texas. The art group had a bird painting show so I painted the stuffed bird. I tried to place it in a tree in the jungle and it just looked like a dead bird! A friend was a first grade teacher and she took it to class for a year and the kids petted it until the top was pretty flat. Then a friend in Maine took it and put it in the room where they grew orchids. From there who knows. Quite a migration for the cock. Thanks for the memories.

Joy, great photos. The cock of the rock made me smile. Gene's boss was given a stuffed one in Bolivia. He gave it to our son Larry. We carried it back to Texas. The art group had a bird painting show so I painted the stuffed bird. I tried to place it in a tree in the jungle and it just looked like a dead bird! A friend was a first grade teacher and she took it to class for a year and the kids petted it until the top was pretty flat. Then a friend in Maine took it and put it in the room where they grew orchids. From there who knows. Quite a migration for the cock. Thanks for the memories.
A well traveled "cock of the rock"! I loved read its history Jo!

Tomorrow is a busy day for me, and it is already the 15th for some of you! I am am currently working on another piece, but here are my entries. The mantis is Derwent graphitint and Ink in a Canson XL 140 CP book, 9 x 7. The cock-of-the-rock is watercolor on NY Central 140 HP, 9 x 6. I really wanted it to be fresher, but the feathers got rather overworked.

Mantis.jpeg

Cock-of-the-Rock.jpeg

Joe, excellent drawings! I really like the likeness of Jake, and the shading on the lemur.
Christel, I really like the handling of the water. It looks quite like the sea that day and very natural.

Back