Abstract Expressionism

Good little mini doc on "The Cool School." To me, only a couple of those guys stand out.

Thanks. This is interesting and makes me wish I could see some of those big paintings in person.

Thanks. This is interesting and makes me wish I could see some of those big paintings in person.

Yeah, a Pollock up close is impressive. The size of many of these has a lot to do with their impact. I'm lucky to live near NYC and so it's easy to get to MOMA and see these works. Standing near a Pollock or a Rothko so it's all you see is interesting. The images on a computer monitor don't do these works justice.

That's where these new VR goggles will be very cool. You will be able to move up close and look up and down at it as if you were there. They already have a virtual tour of his studio space that one can do.

I agree about having to experience these paintings in person, especially the Rothkos. I wasn't that impressed with his work until I saw them in person. I had some appreciation for Pollock in person as well, even though I really don't care for his work. I appreciate how they made a mark in Art History, but I still don't find them appealing like I do the Rothkos. Those knocked me out.

I agree about having to experience these paintings in person, especially the Rothkos. I wasn't that impressed with his work until I saw them in person. I had some appreciation for Pollock in person as well, even though I really don't care for his work. I appreciate how they made a mark in Art History, but I still don't find them appealing like I do the Rothkos. Those knocked me out.
If one puts one's nose as close to a Turner as the guard will allow, his brush strokes look like the work of an Abstract Expressionist. Regarding Rothko, someone described his paintings as Buddhist television sets.

I love the Buddhist TV sets! That is a good description. I almost wanted to say "spiritual," but couldn't bring myself to use that word exactly. I've incorporated a lot of his philosophies in my own process. Agnes Martin too. They both had great disciplines.

I agree. I was at the Dallas Art Museum and trying to take it all in when came upon a Rothko, and it was like ahhhhh. Relaxing. It was just a sphere/circle over a plain. With depth and texture. An essential basic landscape. I was actually surprised how much I liked it. After all the complicated wonderful paintings - my brain was overloaded - this minimalist thing was so profound.

Yeah, if I had to choose Pollack or Rothko I would choose Rothko. Maybe I prefer minimalism over complexity.

I think it was one of my favourite people, Susan Sontag, who said that modern art is as difficult as modern physics.

Modern art is at the cutting edge of comprehension, from the chaos of the universe through the eyes of one of it's most marvelous organized confused creations, us, due to physical laws. So it may be logical to think that art then is more complex than the physics that gave rise to it.

Modern art is at the cutting edge of comprehension, from the chaos of the universe through the eyes of one of it's most marvelous organized confused creations, us, due to physical laws. So it may be logical to think that art then is more complex than the physics that gave rise to it.
Now you make it make sense! :)

I wasn't that taken with the Rothko's at the London Tate Modern, but then the pigments he used on these aren't the most permanent apparently. Or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

Not listed as a Abstract Expressionist, but functionally so, was the now late Howard Hodgkin's work. Unlike Pollock who was generally better when he when big. Hodgkin was much better small, almost smaller the better.
I remember a statement from a review, (was it the New York times?) that went something like; "After years of flailing around in the deep end, he has learnt to masterfully dog paddle in the shallows."

Ouch! And as much as I liked some of his pieces, a degree of truth to it.

Yeah, a Pollock up close is impressive. The size of many of these has a lot to do with their impact. I'm lucky to live near NYC and so it's easy to get to MOMA and see these works. Standing near a Pollock or a Rothko so it's all you see is interesting. The images on a computer monitor don't do these works justice.

That's where these new VR goggles will be very cool. You will be able to move up close and look up and down at it as if you were there. They already have a virtual tour of his studio space that one can do.
Agreed. There was a Rothko's exhibition a couple of years ago in Brisbane, Queensland. I was blown away by the large works. Had real impact on me.

Back