Artyczar

I'm not sure if I ever showed this one, but it's one I dropped off at LAC+USC Hospitals recently as a donation to their collection. They also picked another one I can post called Fool Fitted. This one is oil on birch panel. It's 20 x 20 inches.

215detail.jpg

I'm enjoying the beautiful grain of the birch as a subtle element supporting this bright abstract.

I love those little feet, too! ❤

What is 215 in relation with the painting, if I may ask?

Thank you Terri, Iain and Wayne. 215 is the time of day I made the drawing for this (2:15) and the drawing comes from a sketchbook practice I do called the "eye-book" where the top of the page always includes the date and time of day. I couldn't think of a title for this one, so that's what it ended up with because it was sorta mysterious. It seemed like a dance or something to me, like the "two-step" or something.

This is not the greatest picture of this painting, which is a shame now that it's gone. I usually hire a professional before paintings leave if I can't get a great picture myself. I don't know why the seal on this birch picked up more shine than normal. I use a matte sealer, so it's shouldn't have. I probably didn't give it a perfect sanding between coats.

Ha! I love this explanation. So simple but makes perfect sense! I love it!

You've got me started on this eye-book thing, BTW. ;) One of my weaknesses, and there are many, with painting is sussing stuff from my brain out to the paper. This seems like a great exercise. So thanks!

Oh, you read the eye-book thing? I hope I posted it here somewhere and not just talked about it. I keep meaning to make a YouTube "class" on it, but I'm so shy and also time-challenged that I haven't done it yet. But I did get permission from the person who made up the exercise to be able to do it.

There was a link somewhere....I don't know where now, haha. But it sounded interesting and it actually IS interesting. I had just bought a 9x12 spiral bound mixed media sketchbook, so it almost seemed like kismet. :ROFLMAO:

I need stuff like this to give me a little kick.

I like this one a lot Arty. I love that you let the beautiful grain of the Birch show. ❤️♥️❤️

It’s very engaging for me. Feels like a personification of geometric forms. The feet dot the eye and run across the “T” kinda like a Klee.

Thank you sno. Thank you Patrick--Klee is my biggest influence since I was a wee thing.

Terri, I have been thinking about making that YouTube class, but I also have been thinking about making a book of images (and some writing) of a 10-year kind of retrospective of my eye-book practice. I may ask Ellie Blankfort, or her art critic husband to write some essays for it...before they get so old that...I don't know! It might be a cool thing for 2022. I can pair them all with the sketches, and maybe even some of the writing, though it would be quite personal. Something I'd have to think about sharing.

Thank you sno. Thank you Patrick--Klee is my biggest influence since I was a wee thing.

Terri, I have been thinking about making that YouTube class, but I also have been thinking about making a book of images (and some writing) of a 10-year kind of retrospective of my eye-book practice. I may ask Ellie Blankfort, or her art critic husband to write some essays for it...before they get so old that...I don't know! It might be a cool thing for 2022. I can pair them all with the sketches, and maybe even some of the writing, though it would be quite personal. Something I'd have to think about sharing.
It sounds like a beautiful project! But yes, super personal. Heck I hesitate to show my back pain paintings and prattle about all that, so I completely get it. But it might be, hmm, liberating is the word I'm looking for, for you. That's a long time for the eye-book and your work is so beautiful. The person who came up with this technique should applaud this project idea.

Just sayin'. :)

Wow, thank you for that wonderful compliment! ♥️

Yes. It could be liberating. I will continue to think about it and I will probably do it, perhaps block out certain elements. Maybe. :unsure:

Back