Yes, it may indeed be possible to frame pastel without glass!

Light coats only (I use 4 or more) and with a mister spraying across from above, not at the paper. It works mostly.
I have a good mister, but with A3 pieces it sprays far and wide. I'm spraying closer to waste less product in these tests.

I have been experimenting with NATURAL Glass and OPS. I do know all the reasons why it won't work, but I needed a way to scan OPS without constantly cleaning it, and I want a way to sell works on paper to renters and travellers - so they don't have to live with bare walls 😀

Step 1: Using well worked with thin layers of hard pastels, I've let these two works sit for about 6 months. Still fell like OPS to the touch, but surface not visible affected.

Step 2: Spray with the 'glass'. It does go on in blobs for me. Gently move the material over the surface. I use lines of the OP strokes to reduce visual impact- there was some in early experiments. Let fully dry in cool place.

Step 3: scan! It worked. No mess to clean up. Image was fine to print on View attachment 28340View attachment 28341 paper/canvas. Did a small canvas test.

Step 4: Sell one. I did. And I explained it was an experiment. They didn't care. They were renters.

Now to go to the next stage. Use a work I really care about. #BABBA #Being A Brave Bold Artist
Hi JenniJo, I'm brand new to this site. Please explain what OP is? Very interesting paintings.

Light coats only (I use 4 or more) and with a mister spraying across from above, not at the paper. It works mostly.
Hi Bartc, I am brand new to this site. I found it looking for soft pastel framing alternatives. I ordered the Spectrafix Natural Glass. Curious, what's your ratio of water to fixative for this application. I'm sure hoping it works. I would love to frame my pastels without glass!! Thanks for any info.

Hi rburley, welcome to the site! We actually have a rule not to use abbreviations for this very reason. OP means "Original Post." Most forum users know what that means, but not everyone does. ;)

Are you a pastel user? Would love to see some of your work! :)

Hi rburley, welcome to the site! We actually have a rule not to use abbreviations for this very reason. OP means "Original Post." Most forum users know what that means, but not everyone does. ;)

Are you a pastel user? Would love to see some of your work! :)
Yes, I've been painting with soft pastels since 2015. Here are a few...
I'm a member of various pastel FB groups too. :)

Attachments

• Lunch Line.jpg
    Lunch Line.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Backyard Trees.jpg
    Backyard Trees.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 15
  • Color Canopy on S. Main 12x18.jpg
    Color Canopy on S. Main 12x18.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Easin on Down the Road 12x16.JPG
    Easin on Down the Road 12x16.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi JenniJo, I'm brand new to this site. Please explain what OP is? Very interesting paintings.
Welcome to the forum, rburley! :)

Yes, as Arty explained, we do have a rule here about avoiding abbreviations, to help keep things clear to all. Arty is correct that "OP" can refer to the original poster in a thread, but in this instance I believe Jennie was referring to Oil Pastels. They react differently than dry/soft pastels in that they really don't dry down. Framing is always a challenge.

Your work is lovely!

Yes, I've been painting with soft pastels since 2015. Here are a few...
I'm a member of various pastel FB groups too. :)

Welcome to the forum, rburley! :)

Yes, as Arty explained, we do have a rule here about avoiding abbreviations, to help keep things clear to all. Arty is correct that "OP" can refer to the original poster in a thread, but in this instance I believe Jennie was referring to Oil Pastels. They react differently than dry/soft pastels in that they really don't dry down. Framing is always a challenge.

Your work is lovely!
Thank you!!! Yes, that does make more sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize what forum I was in. Yes, OP would be oil pastels here. I remember when I first saw that here, and I was like, whaaa? :ROFLMAO:

I will certainly need to look into this in the future. The cost of framing my pastels at 80"Hx46"W is absolutely prohibitive. I have seen pastels framed under plexi... but it needs to be anti-static plexi to avoid pastel particles from adhering to the "glass". Personally, I like to very matte surface of pastel and would be wary of any fixative that changes that... let alone the color.

I will certainly need to look into this in the future. The cost of framing my pastels at 80"Hx46"W is absolutely prohibitive. I have seen pastels framed under plexi... but it needs to be anti-static plexi to avoid pastel particles from adhering to the "glass". Personally, I like to very matte surface of pastel and would be wary of any fixative that changes that... let alone the color.
I've framed smack up against plexi- the plain ol' plexi from Home Depot in fact. Works.

Of course, I work on a sanded surface, which is less wimpy about allowing static to tell it what it will do.....

Back