WIP-Autumn

Hi Jo, Jessie and Colour - Thanks for the comments, it is very encouraging to see the reactions to my "learning".

Murray, love the background and like the foreground grassy area. Same suggestions as others regarding the number and size of the focal point trees. They may very well be exactly right based on your reference, but this is your world (to misquote Bob Ross) and you can create it differently to increase interest. The old "rule" is that your trees should not be even numbers nor exactly the same height. That's the only part that doesn't work as well for me, but overall it's a very good painting.

Murray, love the background and like the foreground grassy area. Same suggestions as others regarding the number and size of the focal point trees. They may very well be exactly right based on your reference, but this is your world (to misquote Bob Ross) and you can create it differently to increase interest. The old "rule" is that your trees should not be even numbers nor exactly the same height. That's the only part that doesn't work as well for me, but overall it's a very good painting.
Thanks Bart, as usual, very useful input. I agree about the trees but I dont think I will make more changes as it will become too busy and that to me is not the essence of the area. I think If I were to do this again, I would do as you say and "plan" the scrub better. I do hope to get backup there to maybe do some onsite sketching but the weather is closing in again.... Thanks heaps.

Back