WIP-Autumn

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks, this is a WIP and I have already made some small changes to the foreground and close bushes. On Canson MT 30x43 cm.
I think I have over stretched this experiment. I again went for an alcohol pastel wash, then applied some pan pastels. But the main painting is with Rembrandts and a few Sennelier for highlights. It really pushed my skillset in that I overworked some areas and did not control the coverage of the wash. Also the trees are very low and scrubby due to the high elevation, all stunted oaks and buckthorns. There was a fog in the far valley. Its based on a composite of 2 photos of the same area. I feel my eyeline is too high and the uniform "tree" hight made it hard to get a perspective.
The photo colour is close but not right, greens and yellows are brighter and the soft pinks are missing a bit.
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for passing by.
WIP-autumn-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. It is beautiful. My only thoughts are that it seems quite symmetrical. Nothing wrong with that, but if it wasn't, it could be a bit more exciting. It is just one person's (mine--which is not exactly the best) opinion. However, how you handled the colors and foliage is really stunning.

Very nice. It is beautiful. My only thoughts are that it seems quite symmetrical. Nothing wrong with that, but if it wasn't, it could be a bit more exciting. It is just one person's (mine--which is not exactly the best) opinion. However, how you handled the colors and foliage is really stunning.
Hi Arty, all comments are useful, even personal preferences :). Yes, the far slopes could be less "even" and I maybe will address that. The foreground has had some changes but the light had gone for a decent photo. Thanks for passing by, always welcome.

If this is WIP, then you're off to a good start! The way you've used those bright, warm oranges closer in the foreground makes for a great sense of depth as relates to those cool, receding mountain colors. Good stuff!

Lovely. I think your perspective is fine. I do agree with Penny about having three large orange trees. It could be the influence of my floral arranging rule of odd numbers.

Your fall colors are wonderful, but I do agree with Schuee on the numbers. You have 2 evergreens, 2 orange trees and 2 yellow bushes. Uneven numbers are much more pleasing to the eye. Well done in the technique though for sure. ❤️❤️

looking good .. as mention by Sno and I would lower the intensity of the orange trees as they are further back than the yellow and there is only one place the lighting is most intense.

looking good .. as mention by Sno and I would lower the intensity of the orange trees as they are further back than the yellow and there is only one place the lighting is most intense.
Thanks Wayne, thats useful and still able to be addressed. Appreciated

Your fall colors are wonderful, but I do agree with Schuee on the numbers. You have 2 evergreens, 2 orange trees and 2 yellow bushes. Uneven numbers are much more pleasing to the eye. Well done in the technique though for sure. ❤️❤️
I do agree and will adjust the trees. oddly, that is the way they are... but I have always adapted my art to what works regardless how much nature disagrees :)

Hi Laika and Queenbee - appreciate the comments and your input - I will look at making a few changes. The feedback is Soooo useful

This is such a beautiful autumn view, Murray! I'm wondering about the green hills in the middle ground. Are they two separate hills or one hill that dips in the middle? If they are two hills then maybe consider adjusting the farthest one to push it back a little? Your trees are gorgeous and I like the way the fog is sneaking in from the right.

This is such a beautiful autumn view, Murray! I'm wondering about the green hills in the middle ground. Are they two separate hills or one hill that dips in the middle? If they are two hills then maybe consider adjusting the farthest one to push it back a little? Your trees are gorgeous and I like the way the fog is sneaking in from the right.
Hi Donna, yes it is two hills. I have attached the latest WIP. I have signed it but am likely to still tinker a little. I am not totally happy but the inputs by folk have helped to enhance it. I think it is a little better now. I struggled with a number of parts and overworked areas.
Thanks all for comments and hints. The photo is a little off as you can see by the "white" mask but its as good as I can get it.

WIP-autumn-2.jpg

I don't think you need to tinker anymore, Murray; this is so beautiful! You made the fog move in and over that far hill and you balanced out the yellow trees. I think it's a little stronger image with some of the sky cropped off but that's just me. You did such nice work on this!

Murray.
Nice adjustments. You had the better idea of subduing the yellows and letting the orange shine: great idea as they are close to being one of the golden means.

I don't think you need to tinker anymore, Murray; this is so beautiful! You made the fog move in and over that far hill and you balanced out the yellow trees. I think it's a little stronger image with some of the sky cropped off but that's just me. You did such nice work on this!
Hi Donna, thanks for the input, it really helped.

Murray.
Nice adjustments. You had the better idea of subduing the yellows and letting the orange shine: great idea as they are close to being one of the golden means.
Wayne, appreciate the input and encouragement. I feel like it has gained from all the input. Learnt heaps this time. Its interesting how a few small changes can alter an outcome. Think I need to spend some time doing some small pieces to put into practice these lessons. Thanks again.

Back