When stuck in the house

Bartc

My preference is painting outdoors from life, but I've always been able to create from my head.
Today our painting group session had to be cancelled due to rain storms (which we need desperately in the West). Didn't stop the flow of ideas.
So trapped indoors and with a composition working out in my head, I grabbed my short set of Nupastels and sketched this out. "Birch Clearing", about 5x7 on toned paper.
birch clearing.jpg

Nice! I like your birch trees and the arrangement. Time inside well spent!

Lovely composition! You are quite creative to have thought of that without a reference.

Lovely composition! You are quite creative to have thought of that without a reference.
Joy, honestly, it's not as though I haven't seen trees and rocks all my life! Sometimes it's easier to make it up, because the composition is not influenced to match some objective reality.

A lively little sketch! Nice use of your time, Bart, and I hope you'll be out in better weather soon.

Joy, honestly, it's not as though I haven't seen trees and rocks all my life! Sometimes it's easier to make it up, because the composition is not influenced to match some objective reality.
Bart, That brought a smile to my face, as I have such a tendency to over complicate. I live in the mountains, so if I want to paint trees, I could look out any window. But instead I look for a reference photo! :oops:

Bart, That brought a smile to my face, as I have such a tendency to over complicate. I live in the mountains, so if I want to paint trees, I could look out any window. But instead I look for a reference photo! :oops:
And beyond my orange tree I only see neighbors! LOL

This is super. Love the light airy feel. Hope we get some of that rain tomorrow, way behind here, too.

Back