Exploring the How, Why, What and Where of Plein Air

Thank you ntl! This is so nice to see. I do love those fiery barrel cactuses. I like the golden ones too. My across the street neighbor has a whole variety of them. I should sit at the end of my driveway and set up a tv tray and bring everything out there at some point (soon!) Weather is pretty perfect this month and next.

I do urban Plein air in oil, so my colors are probably different than most landscape painters.

The way I approach is that - time and workspace are limited so more colors means less time mixing and less space on the palette. With acrylics after a few minutes you can mix on top of a previous mix and not contaminate the new mix - not so with oils - so that further limits the area to mix in. Currently, I'm using.

T. White
Cad. yellow lite
Cad yellow med.
Yellow Ocre
Alizarin crimson
Cad red (sometimes)
U.M.B.
Phalo blue gs
Sap Green
Burnt Umber
Paynes grey

I do urban Plein air in oil, so my colors are probably different than most landscape painters.

The way I approach is that - time and workspace are limited so more colors means less time mixing and less space on the palette. With acrylics after a few minutes you can mix on top of a previous mix and not contaminate the new mix - not so with oils - so that further limits the area to mix in. Currently, I'm using.

T. White
Cad. yellow lite
Cad yellow med.
Yellow Ocre
Alizarin crimson
Cad red (sometimes)
U.M.B.
Phalo blue gs
Sap Green
Burnt Umber
Paynes grey
Hi Bongo, thanks so much for your tips. I only paint oil in "studio" and mostly portraits. Outdoor oils I have never tried but Im sure other viewers will appreciate the tips. I have to say that the core of your palette is a bit like my "modernized" Zorn with a couple of additions.

Back