What's Wrong With Colored Pencils ?

OK, that's good info. I tried burnishing with white last night, and you are right about that. Maybe my white pencil is old and hardened or something, but I can't tell that it imparts any white pigment, but burnishing it does well.
I'm glad it helped. I was just refreshing myself on method for colored pencil to finish a project that I left off of too long ago. So I went back to a tutorial by Kirsty Partridge where she uses white pencil for bringing out detail in feathers. (Kingfisher). I believe she was using Caran D'ache Luminance white. Check it out if you wish. I started with this tutorial when I first was learning and was very pleased with my results.

Great picture of the heron. I like how you've created a kind of bokeh effect in the background, an out-of-focus effect that happens in photography.
Yes, bokeh was what I was going for. I've seen some acrylic artists paint it in.

JS, that's easily the best colored pencil viddy I've ever seen! Thx for sharing the link. Her advice on when to use the solvent is very good to know. I noticed that she is using Polychromos pencils throughout, with the Caran'dache white pencil exclusively for white.
BTW, I sharpened my white Polychromos way back, and much of my complaint about white was indeed due to the tip being dry and hardened; the store sold me a very old pencil, apparently.

JS, that's easily the best colored pencil viddy I've ever seen! Thx for sharing the link. Her advice on when to use the solvent is very good to know. I noticed that she is using Polychromos pencils throughout, with the Caran'dache white pencil exclusively for white.
BTW, I sharpened my white Polychromos way back, and much of my complaint about white was indeed due to the tip being dry and hardened; the store sold me a very old pencil, apparently.
Yes, I learned a lot in a very short time watching her videos. Another I like watching is Amie Howard.
Regarding our discussion of white, go see my new thread on it. (y)

Back