First real attempt at colored pencils

16ga

Here's my first real attempt at colored pencils. Its a mix between colored pencil and graphite pencil (for the bowl and cup.) Its 5.5”x8.5”
fruit bowl colored pencil 09-04-23.jpg

Honestly I’m finding the colored pencils to be tedious and I don’t really like them so far.
But how’d I do? Anything I did wrong or should have done differently?

It's not bad, you know- you got the shine of the fruit, and a good go at shadow-form.

I've only done a few coloured pencil pieces and those a decade or so back, but this is what I remember:

-Good-quality coloured pencils because they have a higher pigment load- get the best you can afford if you're wanting to do this for real

-Think about the complexity in any one colour; for instance, "purple" on a round object near other coloured objects is not just one hue- it is various blues, reds, pinks, darks (such as green or winey red) so you need to think in a hue map of layers manner

-Because good CP is done in up to seven or eight layers, you need a good toothy paper, and to use a *light* touch every layer

This artist is a queen of CP- you could do worse than to read/watch and study what she does and how she does it and then adapt it to your own vision: https://www.facebook.com/ArleneSteinberg/

It is NOT easy to "get" first try out of the CP box- but it *is* a terrific medium, and wonderfully contemplative in which to work. It's a meditative medium.

Keep going- you're doing well, and will get so much better!

off to a great start. I don't have the disposition (re: patience and discipline) for colored pencil but I admire those that do.

I think this is damn good. I think putting in more contrast is probably going to improve it a bit, but otherwise, it is a very good first attempt, much better than mine ever were, but that's not saying much. 🤣

Keep at these. I think you might really surprise yourself! ♥️

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice.

I haven't decided if I’m going to stick with them and get a better set or not yet. I still prefer working with paint and oil pastels.

Colored pencils can be a versatile medium, but it may take time and practice to become comfortable with them. Keep experimenting, trying new techniques, and learning from your experiences to improve your skills. What I love about colored pencil drawing is its layering.. Colored pencils often require layering to achieve depth and richness in colors. Experiment with layering different shades of the same color or layering complementary colors to create interesting effects. And you could explore blending techniques to achieve smoother transitions between colors. You can use a blending stump, tortillon, or even a soft cloth or tissue to blend and soften the edges of your colored pencil marks. Anyway, if you're not enjoying working with colored pencils, don't hesitate to explore other mediums or techniques that resonate with you better. The most important thing is to keep creating and expressing yourself through art.

16ga; as others have stated, your piece is a decidedly good start as a first attempt at colored pencils. I have found that colored pencils are challenging because of the waxiness that makes layering them difficult. JStarr offered some good suggestions:

-Good-quality coloured pencils because they have a higher pigment load- get the best you can afford if you're wanting to do this for real

-Think about the complexity in any one colour; for instance, "purple" on a round object near other coloured objects is not just one hue- it is various blues, reds, pinks, darks (such as green or winey red) so you need to think in a hue map of layers manner

-Because good CP is done in up to seven or eight layers, you need a good toothy paper, and to use a *light* touch every layer

I've never attempted a work that is exclusively made up of colored pencils except for life drawings built up of maybe 3 or 4 colors: Burnt Sienna, Tuscan Red, Black, and White. I do use colored pencils a good deal in concert with several other media: pastel, oil pastel, acrylic paint, and metal leaf. Recently, I have made a concerted effort to employ better-quality colored pencils. One of the challenges I have found is learning which brands and colors work best for the way I work. Not too long ago, I picked up a broad array of colored pencils in various brands and have begun to make notes to myself as to which ones I like or dislike the most. As I have used pastels extensively for years, I have also recently begun picking up a good many pastel pencils... which I need to keep separate from the colored pencils as they work quite differently. Every now and then I have picked up what I thought was a colored pencil only to find it doesn't work at all over the waxy surface of colored pencil. I bring up pastel pencils because they may be a good alternative to colored pencils if you like the feel and control of the pencil, but aren't sure about how colored pencils handle. Like pastels, pastel pencils are easy to blend and layer better than colored pencils in my experience. Personally, I have found that both pastel and colored pencils work far better when beginning with a toned surface. I use toned papers with my life drawings with a limited range of colors, and I tone my painting surfaces with very matte acrylic paint in reddish hues. I find the colors of the colored pencils (and pastels) "pop" a lot more working on a toned surface. The surfaces I have primed also have a good deal of tooth which helps either media adhere better... especially when working in layers.

Colored pencils can be a versatile medium, but it may take time and practice to become comfortable with them. Keep experimenting, trying new techniques, and learning from your experiences to improve your skills. What I love about colored pencil drawing is its layering.. Colored pencils often require layering to achieve depth and richness in colors. Experiment with layering different shades of the same color or layering complementary colors to create interesting effects. And you could explore blending techniques to achieve smoother transitions between colors. You can use a blending stump, tortillon, or even a soft cloth or tissue to blend and soften the edges of your colored pencil marks. Anyway, if you're not enjoying working with colored pencils, don't hesitate to explore other mediums or techniques that resonate with you better. The most important thing is to keep creating and expressing yourself through art.
I find quite interesting things about colored pencils. I think it will be useful for new starters with colored pencils. You can learn more with: https://sweetrosestudio.com/how-to-erase-colored-pencil/ or https://sweetrosestudio.com/best-colored-pencils-for-adult-coloring-books/

Working with colored pencils like other mediums is a job of practice. When I started I purchased a book from a well know colored pencil artist and followed her instructions to the letter as I had never worked with pencils before. It took time to learn to layer and which colors to put over others. Keep at it I'm sure you'll enjoy it

I think you have done an admirable job for a first try. You can push your darks more but as everyone has said, go easy on layering. The thing I like about colored pencils is that you generally don't have to call them finished. Over time you can (if you haven't been too heavy-handed) pick them up later and add to the shading and color. As to tedious, don't try to finish a project in one sitting. You can lay them down and come back to them later. :giggle:

Working with colored pencils like other mediums is a job of practice. When I started I purchased a book from a well know colored pencil artist and followed her instructions to the letter as I had never worked with pencils before. It took time to learn to layer and which colors to put over others. Keep at it I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Thank you. Do you know what book that was?

And thanks Sno.

Back