What are you working on?

I've been taking photos of my paintings with my fancy camera and trying to learn all that stuff and trying to get the subtle reds correct and no glare with the lights etc. Shooting in RAW. It's a little more involved than I thought it would be. Haven't even gotten them into Photoshop yet. Fun challenge though.
Post them when ready! :)

Brian: I love your sketches, they are very lively with a lot of character. Now as far as Hergé is concerned it is interesting to see that his preparatory drawings were really messy, scratchy, etc. The final lines were drawn over these pencil drawings with as you say a very accurate hand. Look at one image of the last Tintin album. Hergé felt sick and never got the time to finish it...

Tintin-et-l-Alph-art.jpg

John, I am trying to do the same with all my drawings, paintings, etc. All sorts of formats and supports and media... I'm a bit lost in the process. For all stuff up to the A4 format I think I will scan everything. For the paintings my first photos are really bad ... I'll have to make some research to get good results ... In the meantime, any advice is welcome 😊 :unsure:. Many thanks and have a great day.

I've been taking photos of my paintings with my fancy camera and trying to learn all that stuff and trying to get the subtle reds correct and no glare with the lights etc. Shooting in RAW. It's a little more involved than I thought it would be. Haven't even gotten them into Photoshop yet. Fun challenge though.
It's definitely a learning curve John. Good on ya for working at it! Can't wait to see them when you're read enough. :)

I am working on more of my old family album paintings. I'm calling the series Discarded Snapshots. I've only painted two so far and have finally transferred four more drawings onto panels. I sketched the skeleton drawings smaller and then enlarged them on my computer. Then I printed them out and, instead of using carbon paper, I did it the "old fashioned" way by scribbling soft pencil on the back.

I sorta liked how the backs looked and am thinking of saving them. For what, I don't know. But they look kind cool/funny. Here's one of them:

holidaydinnertransfer.jpg

Brian: I love your sketches, they are very lively with a lot of character. Now as far as Hergé is concerned it is interesting to see that his preparatory drawings were really messy, scratchy, etc. The final lines were drawn over these pencil drawings with as you say a very accurate hand. Look at one image of the last Tintin album. Hergé felt sick and never got the time to finish it...

View attachment 26408

His figure drawings are extremely lively and expressive, and he achieved this by initially working very loosely, before settling on the final drawing.

His last book was eventually completed by some Hergé fan whose name I can't remember. It was unauthorized, and labor of love or not, the Hergé Foundation did all they could to have all copies destroyed. Alas for them, there are copies floating all over the web. No way to unmake it now.

Oh, I like that as a sketch, too, Ayin! The body language is still there and, as a sketch, it has a nice loose style to it. Kinda fun, I agree!

The scribbled soft graphite is the only way I've transferred - I usually work out a sketch in the sketchbook and, if I really like it just that way and don't trust myself to copy it well, I definitely transfer onto oil paper or whatever I'm using, taped to a piece of foamcore.

John, I am trying to do the same with all my drawings, paintings, etc. All sorts of formats and supports and media... I'm a bit lost in the process. For all stuff up to the A4 format I think I will scan everything. For the paintings my first photos are really bad ... I'll have to make some research to get good results ... In the meantime, any advice is welcome 😊 :unsure:. Many thanks and have a great day.

Well Erik don't do this...........so first I shot all thirty one paintings in RAW. Then found out that Picasa (my old free photo app library that I find works OK for what I do- but doesn't handle RAW images. So then I reshot all of them again in JPEG and then found out I could have shot in both RAW and JPEG at the same time. Oyy It seems that Picasa is still available as an offline download. I like it.

I found that the lights need to be quite close to the paintings so I didn't get glare. Using the peg board with centering marks made it easier to keep everything square and used pegs for the heavier stuff.

Ended up in manual setting 1/13 second shutter and 7.1 at 100 ISO. Did a custom white balance using the pegboard as the white card. So it's the same for each painting.

This is the setup. The lights were not that expensive. Under 100 US dollars.

Good luck! Any questions...let me know.

1669499455568.png

Well Erik don't do this...........so first I shot all thirty one paintings in RAW. Then found out that Picasa (my old free photo app library that I find works OK for what I do- but doesn't handle RAW images. So then I reshot all of them again in JPEG and then found out I could have shot in both RAW and JPEG at the same time. Oyy It seems that Picasa is still available as an offline download. I like it.

I found that the lights need to be quite close to the paintings so I didn't get glare. Using the peg board with centering marks made it easier to keep everything square and used pegs for the heavier stuff.

Ended up in manual setting 1/13 second shutter and 7.1 at 100 ISO. Did a custom white balance using the pegboard as the white card. So it's the same for each painting.

This is the setup. The lights were not that expensive. Under 100 US dollars.

Good luck! Any questions...let me know.

View attachment 26455
Many many thanks John ! Very helpful. I will try with the same setup in the daylight first to see the results. It's funny because I've read that in the past photographers were putting a pack of Marlboro cigarettes near the painting so that the printer could improve the color balance . You do the same for the whites with the pegboard. That's a super useful tip. Many thanks again. And yes Picasa is still available as a download. Will give it a go !

I am working on more of my old family album paintings. I'm calling the series Discarded Snapshots. I've only painted two so far and have finally transferred four more drawings onto panels. I sketched the skeleton drawings smaller and then enlarged them on my computer. Then I printed them out and, instead of using carbon paper, I did it the "old fashioned" way by scribbling soft pencil on the back.

I sorta liked how the backs looked and am thinking of saving them. For what, I don't know. But they look kind cool/funny. Here's one of them:

View attachment 26409
Ayin, I have seen a work from you with three persons in a room with splendid vivid colors and patterns. I can't find it back as I'm a bit lost in all threads and forums ;):unsure:;) The title was about correctness I think but I might be wrong. Well I just know its a painting I would buy and put on my wall ... This drawing is in the same vein. I think it is very strong and the little girl attitude is so natural... I really hope you will put you coloring skills at work to finish this one. It's beautiful !

Love that one Brian. ♥️

John, great tutorial!!! And awesome job!

Erik, thank you so much...do you mean this one? I finished it last week (it's a little blurry until I shoot it for real):

View attachment 26483
Yes it's the one ! disorderly conduct ...
I love this painting. Excellent composition, colors, the mix of textures / patterns, transparencies, people expressions, the overall atmosphere ... I've spent a good amount of time looking at it ... This is very good Ayin ! Go ahead with the sketch you showed above.
Congrats 👏👏

Back