What are you working on?

Cool idea Ayin. I also have been thinking of getting buildings more involved in my paintings and aerial perspectives. The geometry adds interest to landscapes.

Thanks Arty......I'm not crazy about the symmetry I have there.
I'm going to change it.

Really liking that aerial thing Artyczar even if you're not so keen on how it's going. I think it's very attractive - I like the pale roads a lot! Something about the stronger division splitting it up into all patterned fragments like a quilt... I don't have any idea how to talk about this instinctual touchy-feely stuff hahahaha. But I like it.

---

I did my 58th head study today.

How it started
1-5.png

How it's going
55-58.png

I do a sketch of Skully to start each spread, he (or maybe she? I'm just gonna say he) is a resin-cast I was gifted years and years ago. Until now he was just a dust collector on top of the wardrobe. Skully has been very helpful. I'm glad I have him.

After nearly 60 heads drawn I have a pretty solid ingrained "system" for constructing which is partly lifted from Bridgman and partly just me figuring stuff out for myself. Do a sphere wrap a vertical and horizontal line around its surface for the direction then drop a straight line down through the intersection for the mid-line of the face... then divide that line into three top/middle/bottom put eye sockets and nose hole in the middle section then you know where everything is and can start putting the facial planes over the top. It is impressive that it works for everyone. Well, all adults! System broke down a bit with the Childlike Empress there (first child attempt). They have much less "lower face" so three equal divisions doesn't work for them. I think I'll have to deal with kids on a case-by-case basis.

Wow drizzle! These are excellent! I love how you used the white and red pencil with these. It's SO good! Your sketchbook is hella cool too! These should be displayed in a gallery or a website.

I wound up tinting my smaller aerial painting and now I really dislike it. I don't even want to post a picture of it. I thought it looked a little better before, even though dirt roads are not white! The contrast looked a bit better to the eye. Now everything looks very monochromatic because of the tint. However, I'm going to keep going. I can always lighten the roads later. I am going to start dotting the thing with the dark green and brown brush, and then I'll make the brightly-colored squares and rectangles that will represent the houses and see where it goes. Maybe then I'll post a new pic.

Well, I didn't start dotting the small one with the greenery yet. Instead, I worked on the 24 x 30-inch one and lightened the roads on the 16 x 20. I like it slightly better and I think once I color the houses and put all the details in, I'll like it more. Here is how they look so far. It's not much to look at yet because they are so bland, but when the greens and the bright colors come in, I think they will "pop." And these are kinda dark pictures because I took them before the sun came up this morning.

abovesunburst472.jpg

over_north_jt172.jpg

Wow! I haven't been on this thread in a while and don't have time to comment on everyone's work but there is some amazing stuff going on here! Keep up the good work everyone! :love:

Here is where I'm at on these two:

abovesunburst572.jpg

This is the medium-sized one:

over_north_jt272.jpg

I have to finish the roads on this one, then I can dot both with all the green bushes. (Oh, and also some have sidewalks--gray.) I don't know how long that will take but it won't be as tedious as coloring the little house shapes. I finished mixing those sand colors and the paint went dry, so I couldn't mess those squares up or I would have been screwed. This second one is 24x30 and the first one is 16x20. The next one will be huge, but I can't start it until these two are out of my way. I'm starting to like them more as abstracts.

Last edited:
I dunno Arty, if you are submitting these to the Planning Commission you are going to need an environmental impact statement regarding the habitat for the 3 legged mudfish an the endangered sand flies.
Lottsa luck.

Soothing images to contemplate anyway.

Thanks everyone. Not that it matters, but I just realized they are both upside down. That's how I've been working on them lately, so I forgot to turn the pictures the right way. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. Not that it matters, but I just realized they are both upside down. That's how I've been working on them lately, so I forgot to turn the pictures the right way. :rolleyes:
Holly Molly ! I love these! reallly reallly (reallly) love these! :love::love::love:

I've been working on this painting 10 x9 inches on oil paper. It's from a photo of one friend's house that was designed by my other good friend who is an architect. The photo was great. Dusk with the full moon and it was around Christmas so they had some cool blue lighting on the porch. I had to paint it. I'm going to give it to my friend whether he wants it or not. :)

I'm not used to painting these straight lines. I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with the technical part here. Tried using a straight edge and still it crooked was better off freehand with a flat brush. Then one little smudge and, oh well, something else to paint over again. I thought this would easy. Just paint by numbers, fill in the line. But no. Just another humbling experience painting. At some point here I have to make some straight lines.

And then, I'm thinking the top of the roof was pointy, but no, it has a flat section. And literally while I'm trying to get the line right my architect friend calls and when I told him he goes " Oh yeah, that's a Dutch peak" or something like that. So I yelled at him for making it even harder on me.

It is partially about the challenge. Climbing a mountain makes the view from the top better right?

After this I'm going back to landscapes. Wavy lines everywhere. :)

1641591682457.png

I can't even imagine working on such a small scale after years of working 46x80". I picked up a 9x12" sketch pad and some pencils and I suspect that's going to be a challenge.

I can't even imagine working on such a small scale after years of working 46x80". I picked up a 9x12" sketch pad and some pencils and I suspect that's going to be a challenge.

Thank you for saying that. I was thinking that. I'm sure some people have the fine motor skills and technique, but I don't. I had to use reading glasses. I suspect Sno for instance would find this much easier.

Back