What are you working on?

Hit the halfway point on 100 Heads. Yep head study no.50 today.

I am being a little braver... rather than doing random DeviantART stock models I looked up some actors for the most recent three. It's one thing to be able to construct a convincing head, it's another to do a convincing expression, but then on top of that to try for a likeness of a well known face... It's scary.

Might entirely ditch the DA stock accounts from here and go for movie stills as reference images.

Is DA Deviant Art?

I have been painting this morning for maybe 3+ hours. I am already exhausted. I don't last very long anymore standing up without breaks. I do have a stool. I don't know why I don't use it! I lean against it here and there. Maybe that is "using" it. :ROFLMAO:

I don't have a WIP (does everyone know that's a "work in progress" anagram?) pic yet--not that I feel good about showing anyway. I'm working on a 16 x 20-inch oil painting that I don't know is a good idea or not. It's a cartoony aerial of North Joshua Tree above some streets and houses. It's just dirt roads and scattered rooftops. It's very simple, but it took forever to paint the main color around all the plants and houses. If it turns out the way I want it, I'm going to do a really big canvas like it.

This is something I really need to finish. I started it at the beginning of 2020. I was hoping to enter it into an exhibition ... anyway, the event got cancelled and I totally lost interest in working on it. It's been propped up in my spare room untouched since last March.

My idea is to do a detailed ink drawing then go in quite heavy-handed with watercolour. Lots of bright yellows and greens and a big brush. I've lost my reference photo now so I'm just having to make it up.

It's on a half-sheet of hot press paper.

20211129_191607.jpg

This is something I really need to finish. I started it at the beginning of 2020. I was hoping to enter it into an exhibition ... anyway, the event got cancelled and I totally lost interest in working on it. It's been propped up in my spare room untouched since last March.

My idea is to do a detailed ink drawing then go in quite heavy-handed with watercolour. Lots of bright yellows and greens and a big brush. I've lost my reference photo now so I'm just having to make it up.

It's on a half-sheet of hot press paper.
Oh I love that style of work. I'll be watching for the finished version :)

Wow! I love this just as is, such excellent details. I see you have some open areas where watercolors can fill in. It's going to be gorgeous, but it's already a great sketch. ❤

Wow Kay, that's some beautiful bones to work with.

I'm almost done with this one. 9x12 oil. I need to add two ducks in the middle water, which always scares me. And maybe adjust some color here and there.

I want to start painting more with pallet knives so I forced myself to use them here for everything below the horizon. I wasn't crazy about the cheapo canvas. I have an oil paper block with linen texture coming that should work better with knives. Flatter and easier to paint right to the edges and the finer texture will be nice. I think. I never used paper for oils before.

BlzLdX4Sfc85CavpRN9afQrERWpmHzcFie7BvNXFY39PvLi-sZyzjwHW72mhfW15sXUJAuRqWWLvAg-LEMttaHjgsYC7zuIvs7nJvHdj9k0irwTlp_XGIsOscHtqJ6BPPOt97NPVNXrAS2hefKXR8vAsIHb9SQJWc6N71QZXgQPf07YwVRl4AJ1RRJwhIkIYl-AlNACFM-M4pU_xZKPqCt7fgJXijCAxEB8qZaqTQGX9Q6quqRmDbjgjbQder-sSj_0nUhzDlP9EzH9eolx60aMZ_HfqyYGLeNSd3J7jE8cWIH_2KKSCxIipVzzxGsD2XG8s-6bE4ebD8y3aCwZYnWrG7L_hFdKWSO8RkcoBXysgR6i5-JE5lTfSdNJ7YtgQS0tTlNDCBK3pun3pzcdDPKTX9gZ9K54xDAvZ-rNLJzrVhUM-dGnn0Bvd3FH4QM6Bi57PHCwVgWsI7CHx6_SGmvi0r0TqIdiQTDd4hvQ0WaqQ2GfVxAOKhfSWA2SnQ_yLg7gJL8MWse1qZ4kNK3ZAr-hLSKh5SNNI-dQtUNZf1hFxZEaM3tMrkDGHLzyUsN5usGa3H2L_2yJeuOeIuUoe4D5V4G5B3DLHbqnd3_2jM9GFRGnQcwAuI0lzsbfUw_UXp5AIkv6AwJjKox2b_o0E1xNlv81kbOBZLa360vHPRREu312HYIaNf9ilbMCONoaV8VL_OTRdqZuOUJBUjsCbCj01=w1190-h893-no

Thank you John. :)

Your painting looks great, there are some beutiful textures in the vegetation.

Wow! Those colors are to die for! I really love this. I wouldn't change anything about this. The grass in the foreground is excellent, and I love how you treated the sky. ♥️

Thank you Kay and Ayin. First painting in 7 months. Wanted something fairly simple. I spent half the time trying to open the tubes and cleaning the cap threads and remembering how colors mix. Hopefully now that I'm retiring a little more I can paint more consistently.

I think all that stuff you described is all part of the process. I have just as much fun with that too. (Almost.) ;)

Wow! Those colors are to die for! I really love this. I wouldn't change anything about this. The grass in the foreground is excellent, and I love how you treated the sky. ♥️

Thanks, but once again the phone camera amps up the warm colors, especially the yellow. Luckily in real life it's not so high key. I should get photoshop going again and do some adjusting. But maybe it's my monitor.

My first time posting here. I enjoy seeing all of the works in progress.
This is an abstract landscape I am attempting to do. 8"x10" in acrylic.
I still have work to do in some areas. The top and bottom are flat colors
and I hope to show some brush work in them.
This isn't my usual thing but I am enjoying the challenge.
progress.jpg

I really like that Perry. The colors are fabulous and the composition is good, though it is quite symmetrical. But I don't know if you're looking for critique. I do really like the way your painted this. It's very nice. :)

I've been working on a small series of oil paintings (three), and don't know if I mentioned them. They are abstract-ish, aerials of little houses over desert dirt roads. They are pretty simple, but will take a lot of time dotting all the little bushes and brush.

I'm making a small (16 x 20-inch), medium (24 x 30-inch), and a large (60 x 40-inch, vertical) one. I have only started the first two and I mixed the wrong color for the first small one. I painted the whole background (the "dirt") and the color turned out way too mustardy. I am going to try to tint it once it's dry. I also made the roads too light, so I have to totally repaint those. I'm disappointed. :(

I only just finished painting the background for the medium one and I think I got the color right on that one. But now I'm out of paint needed to mix enough for the large piece. I have to wait for it to ship. Woe is me.

In the first one, the dirt/sand is supposed to be pretty yellow/orange for that section of the desert, but it just did not look right once I got the paint on the canvas. I am hoping to mix a tint with a bunch of Liquin and cover over it, but will it make it the correct color? I don't know. I don't know what color to mix, because it can't be a darker mustard. That would be bad. It has to be more beige than orange.

I just don't want to repaint the whole thing all over again if I can avoid it. If I can tint a very thin, transparent layer over it, I will still be able to see all the little houses, roads, and bushes I'd painted around, if that makes sense.

abovesunburst272.jpg

Here is the reference image--the color I'm trying to match:

Above-Sunburst-Mock-up-pixelated72.jpg

Back