What are you working on?

Artyczar

What's the latest painting or project you've been working on? Describe it or post a work in progress (if you feel like it). Would love to know! Perhaps this thread will keep us on our toes.

I'll just describe it because it is at the ugly stage. I'm painting a mockingbird sitting in a pink dogwood tree. My heart hasn't really been in it so I'm going very slowly, only a very little progress per day. When I get into the finishing of it, I'm hoping for a little more enthusiasm on my part. :)

Still in the planning stages, but large canvases with less than ideal domestic scenes with thick gauge yarn spelling out phrases like "God Bless This Mess."

It's a take on the needlepoint I would see hanging on the walls of my older relatives when I was a kid.

I'm dithering and procrastinating over the next steps on a 100x100 canvas. I started with enthusiasm, stopped when I realised I was producing nothing cohesive🙂 and that I actually had 2 completely different paintings on 1 canvas ha and can't get a grip on one or the othet.I think I'lk end up slapping white on and stsrting again😄

laf.art said:
I'm dithering and procrastinating over the next steps on a 100x100 canvas. I started with enthusiasm, stopped when I realised I was producing nothing cohesive🙂 and that I actually had 2 completely different paintings on 1 canvas ha and can't get a grip on one or the othet.I think I'lk end up slapping white on and stsrting again
Lyn, you do a great job of tying things together, I can't imagine you would have to paint it out and start over. 😊

For the last few hours, I've been working out the compositions for the next five bag pieces I'm going to do. I do them in Photoshop after scanning in a sketch, then I color them in the program.

I have had distractions every day and haven't got back to mine. And tomorrow will be another lost day. We have to go rebuild a wall at my sister's house.

Ha! I went WAAAYYY back into the archives for this thread.

So. I decided I didn’t want to stretch large canvases anymore. It’s too hard. I (simply!) bought some 18x24 flimsy, little pre-made canvases and then....I painted them with beige latex house paint and then....scanned old family photos and enlarged them and added a sketch filter and then...used white acrylic and a mechanical pencil to sharpen the image after I printed it out and then...put a whole jar of crackle medium onto the canvas surface leaving a 1” border and then...took a picture of the drawing and projected it onto the canvas.

B9DA3829-FFE6-4DD4-9CB3-1214DDCA89CD.jpeg

That’s where I am now. It’s “interesting” painting with oils on top of crackle and yes, I know it’s for acrylics. I think. Doesn’t matter. It makes for a very dry and matte and quick-drying finish. I’m not sure what a fresco painting involves, but maybe this comes close? Maybe not.
E3F016AC-05D9-40FB-8AD3-A3860693B9D8.jpeg

It’s funny that during all these years of doing figures, I’ve only done two realistic paintings of people in my life and both were failures. (And so, she tries again.) I’m actually not trying to capture a likeness; I just liked the composition and colors. This is the first of three. I don’t know the year or place but I do know the people...Paul, Bernice, Vinnie, Rita, and Gene. Connie took the picture. She did a good job, I think. B is wearing a magenta shirt, R has on orange pants and a yellow and pink striped top, V’s dots are red, P is wearing blue jeans and unfortunately, G’s bland outfit blends into the pale yellow wall. Might have to jazz him up...

Only P is still alive.
Dead Relations.

Is it because acrylic will crack on oil?? You’d think I’d know that by now but if it does...then...hmmmm. Why wouldn’t THAT make a nice crackly effect, without bothering to use a medium?

Using water-based or acrylic paint when painting over oil-based paint is likely to cause peeling or chipping because those formulas don't bond well with the naturally glossy surface of oil-based paint.

This is fantastic Olive. I love it!

I have a painting where I purposely put some acrylic over the oil to get a crackle effect and it worked well, but I had to "fix"(varnish) it after in case any of the crackle bits might fall off. I don't know if that "fixes" anything, but so far so good.

spin-flip.jpg

From now on, I would go this route (what you did in the first place) where I'd make the underneath the crackle and put the oil over the acrylic. That would be a more efficient way of doing it to be safe. Oil on acrylic=okay. The other way around=not okay.

Arty, the varnish might hold it together for a time anyway. If pieces start falling off you can just retitle it "Oops". ;)

Back