What are you working on?

Sno, what are you struggling with? It's looking really great. Can't wait to see it finished!

Bethany, I love this one. It's lovely!!! ♥️

I've been setting up for the upcoming Open Studios Tours for the month of October, a big event here. I'm sharing a small studio with two other artists, so I'm mostly showing small watercolors. Yesterday, I spent the greater part of the day getting my wall nearly accomplished and a small shelf organized. I'll probably only need a couple more hours to get the rest finished sometimes next weekend. The other two artists will be doing their spaces next week.

wall72.jpg

shelf72.jpg

Since finishing my last painting (and even before), I've been working on too many things at once. But what else is new? I have the big Open Studios Tour for the next three weekends here. More than 100 artists are participating. Preparing for that has been keeping me plenty busy. While working on this, I've been sticking my foot into a few different projects. I have a solo show scheduled in a year from now. It's a long way away, but of course, I am already thinking about all its elements, one of which is a kind of floor sculpture. I don't know what else to call it. It's really a bunch of existing things I'm assembling together based on a rough sketch:

sculpture-rough72.jpg

It probably doesn't make much sense now, and it really won't once it's finished, either! Its pieces include drums, sewn bits, plush toys, a pillow, baby shoes, ribbons, tassels, and a parasol.

Simultaneously, I'm working on forty-eight little embroideries. Twenty-four will be identical, and the others will also be the same. The first ones look like this:

rx.jpg

I also sketched out the next piece in my Discarded Snapshots series and transferred it onto a 20 x 20-inch birch panel. This is the mock-up:

goldenchildmockup.jpg

And lastly, though I have NO time left, I am doing a collaboration project with a photographer/artist. They will be collages, and my part will be fabric pieces whereby we are sort of patchworking our images together. So, I've been trying to design some textiles. This is my first sample:

spoontest2.jpg

And that's the gist of my life lately. Now I'm going back to bed. :sick::sleep:🤪😩😰🥱🤒🤢🤧

Since finishing my last painting (and even before), I've been working on too many things at once. But what else is new? I have the big Open Studios Tour for the next three weekends here. More than 100 artists are participating. Preparing for that has been keeping me plenty busy. While working on this, I've been sticking my foot into a few different projects. I have a solo show scheduled in a year from now. It's a long way away, but of course, I am already thinking about all its elements, one of which is a kind of floor sculpture. I don't know what else to call it. It's really a bunch of existing things I'm assembling together based on a rough sketch:

View attachment 35089
It probably doesn't make much sense now, and it really won't once it's finished, either! Its pieces include drums, sewn bits, plush toys, a pillow, baby shoes, ribbons, tassels, and a parasol.

Simultaneously, I'm working on forty-eight little embroideries. Twenty-four will be identical, and the others will also be the same. The first ones look like this:

View attachment 35090

I also sketched out the next piece in my Discarded Snapshots series and transferred it onto a 20 x 20-inch birch panel. This is the mock-up:

View attachment 35091

And lastly, though I have NO time left, I am doing a collaboration project with a photographer/artist. They will be collages, and my part will be fabric pieces whereby we are sort of patchworking our images together. So, I've been trying to design some textiles. This is my first sample:

View attachment 35092

And that's the gist of my life lately. Now I'm going back to bed. :sick::sleep:🤪😩😰🥱🤒🤢🤧
Your imagination never ceases to amaze me. I'm looking forward to seeing all of this when finished!

This is a busy time for you - so sorry you've been sick. :( You should rest more, but I don't think you will. ❤️

View attachment 35089

View attachment 35090

View attachment 35091

View attachment 35092

I am admiring your creative mind, Ayin!

Thank you for the nice words my friends.

So far the Open Studios Tour has been pretty slow, but there are two more weeks. We'll see. I've only sold my cheapest books and some prints. Not worth it yet. 🥱 :rolleyes:

I remember back a few years ago Cleveland was holding a large Open Studios Tour and our studio was right at the center of the tour. I wasn't interested because I was certain that my work was not likely to be the sort of art that would sell out of tours such as these. My one studio partner, however, insisted we take part. He put away his large "serious" paintings and hung hundreds of his sports paintings: images of baseball, basketball, and football players with abstract backgrounds. He hung a big sign on the front door that read "Sports Art". For 3 hours or more, we didn't have a single visitor. He then tried another strategy. Unknown to me, he hung a different big sign that read "Nude Art". Another 3 hours and nada. After he told me about the second sign, I laughed, imagining what had happened. The Art Tours are commonly a family event. I could just see the fathers seeing the sign, "Nude Art" and looking to their wives who would give a look that made it clear there was no way they were going to be given permission to see such art. Finally, he just posted a sign that read "Open Art Studio". Over the last few hours we had a steady influx of visitors... but not a single sale... although a couple of college professors and music students had nice things to say. We did get one group, however, that I'll never forget. A grandmother came into the studio with her two grandkids. She walked into my studio... saw the nudes... gasped... covered the kids' eyes... and exclaimed, "Well I never expected Shock Art!" and quickly hightailed it out of the studio. :LOL: Granny had obviously avoided the Greek and Roman collections of the Museums, let alone Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt, Keff Koons, and Eric Fischl. o_O

At least the sign didn't say, "Nude Baseball Art!" ha ha ha! :ROFLMAO: ...but that would most definitely make me want to enter.

Who knows? That strategy sounds guaranteed to fail... so it just might have worked. :LOL:

This "cold" we have all gotten in the house turned into a rather virulent strain of Influenza A for my wife and she ended up in the hospital from Wednesday evening on. She's getting better, but we had to cancel our anniversary dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant, as well as a stay in a favorite Victorian Bed & Breakfast in Ohio Wine Country. Our anniversary was Friday, the 13th. We were actually married in October on a Friday the 13th in a costume party wedding. They plan on sending my wife home Monday with a nurse checking in on her every day for a week... so I've been spending the last day & a half cleaning and organizing the house and making it easier for her to walk around until she gets back to her full strength. As we plan on a combined Post-Halloween Party and belated birthday party for me on Friday, November 3rd, I hung up an old painting that I actually made for Halloween one year: Beauty & the Beast:

26. BeFunky_Beauty and the Beast Final.750.jpg

Of course, the painting was a bit of a satire on The Munsters as well as the theme of "Beauty & the Beast" with Herman Munster as the "Beast" and a young Yvonne DeCarlo (who played Herman's wife, Lily Munster) as the "Beauty".

EcLBTe5.650.jpg

I'm feeling better... but my wife is still in the hospital. The flu really kicked her ass. They have suggested that she might come home tomorrow... but have a visiting nurse check in on her once or twice a day.

I'm feeling better... but my wife is still in the hospital. The flu really kicked her ass. They have suggested that she might come home tomorrow... but have a visiting nurse check in on her once or twice a day.
Glad you're better - this sounds awful. Hope your wife is able to come home soon.

The flu can really kick it out of you. I hope you are both better real soon so you can enjoy a belated anniversary.

Back