What are you working on?

Been working on a new Artist's book (again), but I guess I only do these every year or two. This one is not as intricate or nearly as involved as my others. It's also more of a storybook about my animal character named Dan. It's going to accompany my solo show that's exhibiting next year, not til November of 2024, but I have many elements to the show I have to complete. It will take a year to do it. This book alone will take at least a month, if not more.

I learned a new binding that I'm excited about that looks like this, and the edition will only be eight books of sixty pages. I've finally figured out the layout, bought all the paper and supplies, and I'm about to cut the paper for it today.

Been working on a new Artist's book (again), but I guess I only do these every year or two. This one is not as intricate or nearly as involved as my others. It's also more of a storybook about my animal character named Dan. It's going to accompany my solo show that's exhibiting next year, not til November of 2024, but I have many elements to the show I have to complete. It will take a year to do it. This book alone will take at least a month, if not more.

I learned a new binding that I'm excited about that looks like this, and the edition will only be eight books of sixty pages. I've finally figured out the layout, bought all the paper and supplies, and I'm about to cut the paper for it today.
Exciting to hear! I love those long stitches for the binding, and think that will look great. Stitching is right up your alley, so these should be wonderful little additions to the show. ❤️

IMG_3267.jpeg

20”x20” first layer of an acrylic painting.. I feel it is successful.. just need to figure out the plan for layer two.

Exciting to hear! I love those long stitches for the binding, and think that will look great. Stitching is right up your alley, so these should be wonderful little additions to the show. ❤️
Thanks Terri. I've been standing and cutting paper all morning. Made a lot of mistakes on all the expensive specialty papers. At first, I wasn't changing my blade as often as I should have. I'm back on track now, but I'm getting pretty fatigued now. And hangry. :devilish:

Thanks Terri. I've been standing and cutting paper all morning. Made a lot of mistakes on all the expensive specialty papers. At first, I wasn't changing my blade as often as I should have. I'm back on track now, but I'm getting pretty fatigued now. And hangry. :devilish:
do you plan on doing all eight books by hand -- times sixty pages == 480 pages? say it ain't so...

do you plan on doing all eight books by hand -- times sixty pages == 480 pages? say it ain't so...
Yes. That is correct. That's how I usually do it, but this time, most of the pages will be printed. Only three of the pages will be originally painted in each of the eight books. (That's 24 little watercolor and ink painting pages in total.) Plus some original sketches throughout. The last book had a lot more original stuff in it, but it was an edition of five. I'm trying to make this one easier, but the binding is more complicated, so maybe it's a wash in it being time-consuming. :ROFLMAO:

I've been working on the colophon this morning. That is typically the page at the back of the book that depicts the basic types of papers, details, and a few techniques that are used in the creation of an Artist's book. I'm going to paste it below to give ya'll an idear of it:

Medicine Dan is a story about a special animal
who heals. He is a cartoon character invented
by artist Ayin Es. This Artist’s book is sixty pages
on mostly Moab Lasal Photo Matte, using digital
color printing throughout with original sketches
and three original watercolor and ink pages on
Arches hot press. It includes imported Thai
Marbled Mulberry, Thai Mango, Thai Unryu,
Lokta, and Aitoh Japanese papers. It also features
rubber stamping, two hand-stitched felt pages, a
folded paper pocket with stickers of Dan, and a
buttonhole binding with waxed linen threads. The
300 gsm cardstock covers are embroidered and die
cut with a silhouette of Dan. This edition of eight is
hand-bound, signed, and numbered by the artist
in 2024.

Yes. That is correct. That's how I usually do it, but this time, most of the pages will be printed. Only three of the pages will be originally painted in each of the eight books. (That's 24 little watercolor and ink painting pages in total.) Plus some original sketches throughout. The last book had a lot more original stuff in it, but it was an edition of five. I'm trying to make this one easier, but the binding is more complicated, so maybe it's a wash in it being time-consuming. :ROFLMAO:

I've been working on the colophon this morning. That is typically the page at the back of the book that depicts the basic types of papers, details, and a few techniques that are used in the creation of an Artist's book. I'm going to paste it below to give ya'll an idear of it:

in 2024.
These are going to be beautiful! And exhausting! ;) But mostly beautiful, I love the description and all the papers mentioned. Wow!

in 2024.
You'll do great, Arty, just like you always do. ❤️

I am putting together an exhibition proposal for a gallery in our state capitol, Brisbane. Have decided to make it an immersive experience, with a sculpture, a post Bo's, voice reading of relevant book of mine and a sticky note blackboard where visitors can leave a question or take a question.

Theme for the exhibition is a diary I keep of my humourously cynical, authentic and sometimes gently cutting, ?, memories of 35 years on what I call my Medi-Go-Round. Title: It's in the Book.

I am putting together an exhibition proposal for a gallery in our state capitol, Brisbane. Have decided to make it an immersive experience, with a sculpture, a post Bo's, voice reading of relevant book of mine and a sticky note blackboard where visitors can leave a question or take a question.

Theme for the exhibition is a diary I keep of my humourously cynical, authentic and sometimes gently cutting, ?, memories of 35 years on what I call my Medi-Go-Round. Title: It's in the Book.
Sounds like a compelling show Jen. I hope you write up a great proposal and it's accepted so that the show happens for you. It sounds like a must-see! I love the interactive elements. ♥️

Sounds like a compelling show Jen. I hope you write up a great proposal and it's accepted so that the show happens for you. It sounds like a must-see! I love the interactive elements. ♥️
Thanks Artyczar. It will be huge for me if it is accepted. It is a great rustic like space, right in the middle of an arty section of the town.

I should have known I would run into bumps in the road, and I've run into plenty so far. I hate when things slow me down. And then there's life that also throws in the wrenches. Ha!

Wrong paper, waiting (for new paper to ship), printer issues, impatience, having to rearrange pages, rethinking illustrations, incorrect measurements (therefore wasted cuts/wasted paper/wasted money), and so on.

However, I'm back on track. I hope! I hand-binded a dummy book that's correct, have most of the paper in my possession, the printer is now set up and working properly, and I'm going to start printing the first few pages today.

working.jpg

This process has been slow going, but I have a few of the illustrations done. Here are a couple that won't make sense, but here they are:

earthoutthere72.jpg

parallel-universe72.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the finishing stages of a commissioned horse portrait. This was a stud horse owned by a friend and she lost him to a very rare disease. I'm having to use 3 different pictures of the horse and another of the background. Trouble is, the horse is white and white animals are very difficult. :rolleyes:

I should have known I would run into bumps in the road, and I've run into plenty so far. I hate when things slow me down. And then there's life that also throws in the wrenches. Ha!

Wrong paper, waiting (for new paper to ship), printer issues, impatience, having to rearrange pages, rethinking illustrations, incorrect measurements (therefore wasted cuts/wasted paper/wasted money), and so on.

However, I'm back on track. I hope! I hand-binded a dummy book that's correct, have most of the paper in my possession, the printer is now set up and working properly, and I'm going to start printing the first few pages today.

View attachment 36529

This process has been slow going, but I have a few of the illustrations done. Here are a couple that won't make sense, but here they are:

View attachment 36527

View attachment 36528
looks like you're off to a good start, plus got all the "mistakes" out of the way early so should be smooth sailing from here :)

Sno, yes, I would think white animals are very difficult, but I know you'll master it. I'm sad to hear about your friend's loss. But I think this commission will really mean a lot to her. It will probably bring a lot of tears and joy for her. Your art seems to do that for a lot of people. ♥️

Back