What are you working on?

Been doing a bunch of small paintings, and then, to my own surprise, got caught up in the spirit of the season... :)

23-44 Christmas Eve Acrylics on panel, 15 x 10 cm.JPG

Christmas Eve. Acrylics on panel, 15 x 10 cm (= about 6 x 4 in).

Woke up at three so stuffed I couldn’t breathe through my nose. Mucked around on the iPad for a few hours and then went down to my studio at five. I had planned to make a 30 x 40 inch piece for the bedroom and figured this was as good a time as any.
Four and a half hours later I was back upstairs. Tired as heck but happy I got the piece completed. I will post it in a week or two when the paint dulls down to a matte finish as it cures. It will take longer as it’s on board and lots of paint. Had something to eat and fell asleep in my recliner. Sometimes being old, retired, old, and lazy, ain’t so bad.

Started this one about two years ago. Then left it. Changed it, changed it again, gave up on it. Came back to it, finished it, put it to one side. Found it, now altered it yesterday once more. I'm finished now.
view from the bow.jpg

I think.

Quick-sketching my way through Pinterest's vast collection, where one can find some, um, interesting faces. If any of these are family or friends, I apologize... :)

2023 12 20_093556.jpg

Can't for the life of me draw realistically, but cartooning is more fun anyway. :D

These are the references; I daresay they're all recognizable, if not exactly flattering... :)

2023 12 20_093556 reference.jpg

Woman in Pink.jpf.jpg

The Rococo has always been one of my "guilty pleasures". Amadeus was one of my absolute favorite films and my wife and I were married on a Friday the 13th at a costume ball reception with the wedding party all dressed in 18th century costumes. I started this Rococo-inspired portrait not knowing where it will go or what the theme will end up being. Right now I'm just thinking lots of pink... "Think Pink!" I might also be thinking of a couple of contemporary artists I admire who are also clearly fans of the 18th century:

Will Cotton:

Candy_Curls_2006.jpg

Victoria Koursaros:

e82f7c10-d11a-4e3c-bee3-a513fafb3850.jpg

Of course, I finally get to work on my art just as my Winter Break is coming to an end. :(

Started prepping up for my first project of the year ... for this i decided to have a go at a scene from M.R.James final published story "A Vignette" ... i'm hoping to instill the air of potential menace that was never quite realised in the narrative and which so dissatisfied James himself .

This looks intriguing, SLG...looking forward to watching your progress here.

Thanks for the comments... but right now this has a long way to go. The only "colors"... outside of the reddish hues in the underpainting for the patterns... are the color of the paper and the traditional Terra Cotta and Tuscan Red of the pencils which were our usual choices for life drawing in art school... inspired by Michelangelo:

5105525ed7cacf98da17b7f2239e193e.700.jpg

I have been thinking of doing a series of drawings limited to a few earth colors and white highlights on toned paper... in a manner somewhat like Daniel Maidman... one of the artists I follow:

Aileen.700.jpg

Before doing this, I'll need to figure out a working space in the limited area I have in my current temporary abode.

My working manner has always involved numerous changes... some small... some quite dramatic. I even find myself rethinking and changing the "subject". Dekooning famously spoke of his working method... thinking at one point that he was painting a landscape... but it turned out to be a nude woman. :LOL:

One of the greatest lessons I learned in art school involved looking at Rembrandt's famous print, Ecce Homo. In the earlier stage of this print, the artist included a crowd of figures standing before the stage on which Christ stood:

EcceHomosmall.JPG

One of my teachers pointed out that most artists would have killed to have been able to draw that crown of figures... so freely rendered and fluid... almost like Asian ink drawings:

EcceHomoDetail.JPG

But Rembrandt deleted these figures in order to better focus the eye on Christ and the central drama.

18026_A_rembrandt_07.650.jpg

Rembrandt knew that if he wanted to replace the figures he always could... after all, he drew them the first time. What I took from this is that one needs to be willing to change... and even eliminate aspects of your work... no matter how good these may be... if you feel they don't support the main intent. Already I am reworking aspects of my drawing. The face remains the same... but the hair, the clothes, etc... have been changed. I'll likely wait a few more working sessions before I post another WIP view.

I thought it was funny that I have these pictures of my Italian grandfathers and both happen to be standing in this kind of mock he-man pose. So, at the beginning of December, I decided to turn them into a diptych painting. I never make sketches but I created this little layout thing (below) to get me started. The canvases are 30”w X 48”d and I’ve been working on both at the same time so that the colors are consistent and the background design overlaps. However, because they’re very stylized, they won’t end up looking realistic but I’m not going for an exact likeness anyway. Just trying to capture something like matching machismo. Or strutting and peacocking grandpops.

IMG_5148.jpeg

So I only met RAY (in the bathing suit) once, at the end of his life. He was in his 70’s and I was in my 20’s. At the time, he was living in a junky trailer, talked nonstop only about himself, and had the biggest hands I’d ever seen. They reminded me of bear paws and I suppose they came in handy from back in his old-timey football days. His family star diminished when he came out of the Navy, and promptly abandoned his wife and children, including my mom who was 6 years old at the time. The family then had to go onto welfare to make ends meet while he ran off to be with a person named Gertrude Crammer. And yes, that really was her dumb name.

However, FRANK (in the jazzy slacks) was kind and funny and I was his first spoiled grandchild. He worked as an airplane mechanic and had an easy-going, friendly way about him. I thought he was pretty funny too, like when he pushed his false teeth out of his head with his tongue. We grandkids would squeal with laughter while my grandmother yelled, “Stop it Frank…that’s disgusting!” I also remember that for some reason, he liked to eat raw hot dogs. (Yep, we’re a classy bunch.) He also had blue eyes and a nice smile and I thought he was handsome so maybe he was my first crush. I called him Poppy, and he died when I was 10.

Didn’t call the other one anything. But maybe if he had been around, he’d be a different variety of Poppy. (Hence, the poppy flowers in the background.) And I wonder if either were still alive, would they appreciate the painterly corniness oozing out of their oh-so-awesome blabbermouthy granddaughter?

Anyway now, as I make my way to the end, I’m still mulling over titles like The Poppies, Italian Poppies, or maybe I’ll simply use my favorite…Ray and Frank. I tend to usually go with THE most boring, descriptive titles ever.

Cuz it is what it is.
And they were what they were.

Back