What are you working on?

Thank you, Terri and Flowercat. I appreciate your nice comments. Luckily, I have a friend coming in town for a visit so I won't have to feel the impatience for a day or two. And maybe I'll be able to finish it up before next weekend...fingers crossed. 🤞

I guess I should sometimes talk about my art and not only about my New Mexico. But one is a newer love so I just get more excited about it. You understand, I’m sure.

So, I decided I wanted to do a series of “lost empire” paintings. I don’t know if that’s what they really are, but that’s what I’m calling them, for now. I did a lot of research, landed on 24 regions/times/objects, put them all into a handy little reference chart, and began! It was fun at the start because they were simple and easy and not too big so they went quickly (a month each). Plus, I was mixing cold wax into the oil paint. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do exactly, but it made the paint dry very quickly. And so when I brushed layer over lighter layer over lighter layer, it created both an old(ish) and slightly textured look. There’s also hammered black, spray painted over frayed fabric, with colored threads attached. This messy mix of relaxing tediousness…is so me.

But now…I’m 6 in and as usual…I’m bored. I wonder if I should push through the boredom and get to the end, or at least do 12. I mean, I’ll get bored even if I start something totally new and different, so it’s not SO much about what I’m working on. I think I’m just bored of painting. I mean, come on…it’s 40 years of moving my arm up and down all day long. Well, the “all day long” part has only been since retirement where I now have time to spare but weirdly, also feel time is quickly running out.

But what else is there to do?!?

IMG_4654.jpeg

(Look, I bought that Mark Ryder plate in this weird little art gallery in Algodones. Isn’t it cute?) Anyway, I can’t be yakking to youse all day…I have an Antefix from the Etruscan period to paint! Duh.

I don't care that much for the subject matter, but the technique is flawless. Well done, O.O. ❤️

These are spectacular Olive! But I'm sorry you're bored. I totally understand! The same thing happens to me every time. I forgot how interesting hard wax is. Maybe I'll start trying it again. And you don't have to do all 24 if you don't want to. You can do 12, or do 6 for now and come back to it. I never work chronologically and TRY not to worry about it. Well, I worry about it quite a lot, but I just can't because I get too bored of working on a series non-stop.

I guess I should sometimes talk about my art and not only about my New Mexico. But one is a newer love so I just get more excited about it. You understand, I’m sure.

So, I decided I wanted to do a series of “lost empire” paintings. I don’t know if that’s what they really are, but that’s what I’m calling them, for now. I did a lot of research, landed on 24 regions/times/objects, put them all into a handy little reference chart, and began! It was fun at the start because they were simple and easy and not too big so they went quickly (a month each). Plus, I was mixing cold wax into the oil paint. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do exactly, but it made the paint dry very quickly. And so when I brushed layer over lighter layer over lighter layer, it created both an old(ish) and slightly textured look. There’s also hammered black, spray painted over frayed fabric, with colored threads attached. This messy mix of relaxing tediousness…is so me.

But now…I’m 6 in and as usual…I’m bored. I wonder if I should push through the boredom and get to the end, or at least do 12. I mean, I’ll get bored even if I start something totally new and different, so it’s not SO much about what I’m working on. I think I’m just bored of painting. I mean, come on…it’s 40 years of moving my arm up and down all day long. Well, the “all day long” part has only been since retirement where I now have time to spare but weirdly, also feel time is quickly running out.

But what else is there to do?!?

View attachment 34308
(Look, I bought that Mark Ryder plate in this weird little art gallery in Algodones. Isn’t it cute?) Anyway, I can’t be yakking to youse all day…I have an Antefix from the Etruscan period to paint! Duh.
These are great! You do beautiful work, Olive. I agree with Arty - if you're getting bored, no need to force it. Go do something else, and eventually circle back around to these when/if the spirit moves you. Forced art never feels successful, even when it looks good. Make yourself happy!

Thanks, Ayin and Terri. You’re both right!

I think I might be realizing some reasons why I’m bored. And now I’ll bore YOU all just enough to say, it has something to do with my move here, increasing anxiety about every frigging thing, and the struggles about the way I naturally work. It’s all mixed together.

So. Since I have two more canvases set aside, I think I’ll just use them up and call this series done. While I won’t go back to stretching my own canvases like I used to, I DO want to go back to a more comfortable 48-60” size with heavy duty stretchers and 3” sides. Storage be damned. Besides, these flimsy thin canvases and smaller sizes are aggravating. I now live in an expansive landscape, inside a bigger house, and with a studio where I FINALLY have space to work larger. And instead, I’ve gone smaller!

After these, I will have finished 36 paintings (since 2021) all while gritting my teeth, whining aloud, aching my shoulder and flattening my butt. I’m definitely going to trash 6 of them, and I only can stand looking at another 6 or so. The others are just dead weight taking up valuable real estate on the storage rack. Oh well. I’ll have to try and let my guilt go about leaving all this stuff behind for somebody else to deal with.

In the meantime, while painting, I’ll have to try and remember to stand up and stand back (haha) and move around more so I can “shake myself loose.” I mean, I’m not dead….yet.

And I thank you for listening in to my internal neuroses. 🫤

Olive, I totally understand! I had to move twice in the last five years or so, and both times it totally screwed up my mojo. My process and routine, as well as my inspiration, plans, work cycle, motivation, time, and decisions...everything turned upside down. I didn't know what was happening to me. I was beginning to think I wasn't an artist anymore. I've been here four years now and there's still no "regular" work process for me. But, I'm no longer young and can't work like a robut-machine anymore.

Now, I try to work on accepting what it is. It is what it is, as the kids say. Do they really say that? I do what I can on the days I need and want and don't when I can't. I put time in on the things that interest me and less time on things where my interest is fading. It's our rules, remember. ;)

I'm wowed by your current work- these four are well-done, just stunning and iconic to the history of the desert Southwest. Pat yourself on the back for these no matter how much you must twist to do so because they are that good.

And then, get back to work.

See, that's the thing: Physical art is no less work than writing; and writing, lemme tell you, is gey hard work. At first, the story comes pouring out in a rush, and it's colourful and glittering with bright bits of background and pops of personality- it's GREAT! And that's the good part about writing because after that comes the hard part: The work. The editing, the looping back to hook this bit to that bit and keep all the bits cohesive, fleshing out characters you already know, and it is hard work. There's no feverish excitement as the story flows anymore, there's no drive to get it all out- that's done, over, it's out. And now you have to do the work of cleaning it all up, and making it what you knew it would be in the first place: Your Idea Made Real and True.

You need to do at least two more right now to finish this idea, this, face it, series. It's still a-borning, Dear, tired of it as you may be, it's not done yet. Two more are needed- these four, as eye-catching and inventive as they are, are cut-off, alone, they need more of themselves to stand alone as they do. Two more. Do the two that scare you the most. Do the work- two more.

And, it would not surprise me, if you push through and do the work, that you find your way back to this series again, perhaps bigger, perhaps another half dozen, perhaps another stunning series in differing mediums. All because you did the work.

Thanks to you too, Jae. I appreciate your pep talk!

I did four with a “cheesecloth” background. The Olmec Baby isn’t shown here. On the easel is the Etruscan Antefix, done over a burlap background (like the one on the far right). So the last two (TBD) will also be done on a burlap background and then that will complete the entire kit and caboodle. It will be 8 in total which will be - ENOUGH.

One last thing and then I’ll shut my yap.

So, “Sargon” (with the curly beard) was King Sargon of Akkad, who established the first empire in Mesopotamia around 24thc BC in what is now Iran/Iraq/Syria/Turkey. This Akkadian Empire was named after him. Of course. It’s all his fault.

“Shakokidogu” (with the googly eyes) are these strange little clay figurines, possibly fertility goddesses, which were made in Japan during the Jomon period, around 14thc BC. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen lady boobs quite like this….

“Ms.Lazuli” (with the gigantic eyes) is an alabaster head with lapis lazuli eyes from the Sumer Civilization, around 45thc BC, also in Mesopotamia. As the oldest piece in the series, I hate to say that she looks a little like my Italian side of the family.

“Bactria” (with the missing face) is a fertility goddess or princess, made of limestone, from the Oxus Civilization in Central Asia, around 23rdc BC. Apparently, she’s from the “Bactria-Mariana Archaeological Complex” and…I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT IS and frankly, I don’t care.

So there’s your ancient artifact history lesson for now and I’ll post the final four when done. Yes, Yes…please try to contain your excitement. Until then, thanks again to all…!

So there’s your ancient artifact history lesson for now and I’ll post the final four when done.

I LOVE the history lesson! Thank you for all this context on your work. You have put a lot of time and effort into these - I'm looking forward to seeing the "final four." ❤️

Olive, I totally understand! I had to move twice in the last five years or so, and both times it totally screwed up my mojo. My process and routine, as well as my inspiration, plans, work cycle, motivation, time, and decisions...everything turned upside down. I didn't know what was happening to me. I was beginning to think I wasn't an artist anymore. I've been here four years now and there's still no "regular" work process for me. But, I'm no longer young and can't work like a robut-machine anymore.

Now, I try to work on accepting what it is. It is what it is, as the kids say. Do they really say that? I do what I can on the days I need and want and don't when I can't. I put time in on the things that interest me and less time on things where my interest is fading. It's our rules, remember. ;)
I completely understand and identify with this! You know how involved and tedious my move was, because it wasn't even linear from place-to-place, I had to move in with my mother and spend a few months clearing her place out to help her transition to assisted living. THEN my hubby and I were able to start looking for a house because, as anxious as she was to sell her condo after she moved, she graciously let us stay for the duration.

There's just no art time in the middle of all that. I packed my art supplies in small boxes to keep them close, and I moved some oil pastels around on paper a couple of times, and played with colored pencils, but couldn't really get my head into anything.

Now that I finally have a new printer, I am cautiously beginning work again. It feels nice just to be at this point!

I am currently working on a cartoon digital art design with my procreate. I will be finishing up my CFA exams in the coming November. Hopefully, 2023 will turn out to be a successful year for me.

This is the commission I am working on. I'm struggling with it and have quite a ways to go but thought I would show it.

View attachment 34431
Quite a ways to go?!? If you handed this over to me as it is, I'd be over the moon. There's plenty of detail in this right now to satisfy the eye. Expressions are adorable.

Can't wait to see the final version, up to "Sno standards" because you're rocking it already.

Back