What are you working on?

I'm feeling slightly positive today.
I've been in a bit of a slump, artwise, over the last year or so. Not sure whether it was due to lockdown or something else. I want to get back into art, I keep seeing things I want to draw / paint, and just looking at them. I haven't created anything in months.

So today I bought myself a new sketchbook. And I'm going to trash it. By which I mean, I don't care what I fill it with or how, so long as it gets filled. If all I feel like putting in there one day is a straight line, that's what's going in there.

So I've started that today. I copied a picture straight out of a book, so don't know if I should share or not. But I'm just really happy I did something. 🙂

I'm feeling slightly positive today.
I've been in a bit of a slump, artwise, over the last year or so. Not sure whether it was due to lockdown or something else. I want to get back into art, I keep seeing things I want to draw / paint, and just looking at them. I haven't created anything in months.

So today I bought myself a new sketchbook. And I'm going to trash it. By which I mean, I don't care what I fill it with or how, so long as it gets filled. If all I feel like putting in there one day is a straight line, that's what's going in there.

So I've started that today. I copied a picture straight out of a book, so don't know if I should share or not. But I'm just really happy I did something. 🙂
Sounds like a wonderfully positive step to me! It doesn't matter what we do to work out of the inevitable slumps. Just put something in that wasn't there before.

(That last sentence is a quote, I should find the poem.)

Sorry you've been sick Arty!
I've been working some more on this one and will probably call it finished, since it was just an experiment anyway. But I will give it its own thread in the oil painting forum.
HorseOnNews.jpg

Kay, good for you for getting a sketchbook and planning to destroy it! (y) I saw a sketchbook in the bookstore once that was meant to be destroyed. It had prompts on every page and I remember that one said to bring the sketchbook in the shower with you. I always thought that would be a good way for it to lose any preciousness it might have. I'm not creating much either but when I'm able I have a page ready for a line or a scribble. At the end of the day it feels good to know that I did something! I hope that one drawing will lead to another and another for you.

Ayin, so sorry you've been sick! Take it easy and we'll see you when you're better.

Sno, that horse painting is amazing! Wow!

Always apprehensive about showing work in progress here, but I'm working on a new series now. Impressions of family photos. Here's the first one--a little blurry. It's a little whack (the way I want it), but it's coming along I think.

And She Rose From the Bed, oil on birch wood, 24 x 30 inches, in progress:

mom672.jpg

Always apprehensive about showing work in progress here, but I'm working on a new series now. Impressions of family photos. Here's the first one--a little blurry. It's a little whack (the way I want it), but it's coming along I think.

And She Rose From the Bed, oil on birch wood, 24 x 30 inches, in progress:

View attachment 23181
Maybe it could become an illustrated version of Shrapnel (the book that you published) ❤️

Yes! What Desforges said…!

I can see one of your hand-made artist books using patterns and stitches, with some of your own words from the book on one page, and on the opposite page these new family drawings. (I want to see more…)

It (what exactly?) all comes together,
and maybe wrapped in a big Arty-styled bow.

Thank you, Olive. That version sounds pretty cool. I will think about it. ;)
I don't know if you know, but I took my book out of distribution. There are a few new ones left to be sold, then the rest people can only get used. I came to regret publishing it.

Oh, well I suppose I’m sad to hear that but nevertheless, I have MY version right here. I can see it as I type this…in my pile of books stacked on the floor, waiting for new bookcases to come. I remember that when it arrived, it came in the same package with new underwear. Haha! I don’t know why that makes me laugh but it does. The book was sad and harrowing but as I‘ve told you…it still had your humor. Look, I liked it, will treasure it, and will probably reread it again some day. And maybe someday YOU can repurpose a different version/style/telling of your story that will feel more comfortable. In any case, your work be good and interesting. No doubt.

Oh, well I suppose I’m sad to hear that but nevertheless, I have MY version right here. I can see it as I type this…in my pile of books stacked on the floor, waiting for new bookcases to come. I remember that when it arrived, it came in the same package with new underwear. Haha! I don’t know why that makes me laugh but it does. The book was sad and harrowing but as I‘ve told you…it still had your humor. Look, I liked it, will treasure it, and will probably reread it again some day. And maybe someday YOU can repurpose a different version/style/telling of your story that will feel more comfortable. In any case, your work be good and interesting. No doubt.
Ditto
I value this book.

I love this new one, Ayin! So stylized, and the palette is vivid. Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

I've not seen the book, just recall how your feelings about it changed. ❤️

Back