What are you working on?

That sounds like what I was going through last week. I even asked myself why I could not express that, and I could find no legitimate reason. That was progress for me.

I know you don't lack ideas, but maybe you should paint a huge JT boulder, then SMASH it half with one Hong Kong Phooey karate chop!

Yes, Iain, thanks for that...
Don't give up the day-job.

I just wrote out a long blog post about how I was feeling and I may post it tomorrow. I feel like maybe I figured it out, but that happens a lot, and then I soon realize afterward that I didn't figure it out at all. So I don't know. At this point in time, I "realized" I need to get back to one of my sketchbooks.

I would be interested to read the blog post if you decide to post it. I started reworking something that went wrong, probably due to too much "hot sauce." That knocked my confidence a bit. But I went back to the sketchbook to drawing and that has seen me through - for now.

With me, thinking and decision-making come later, after the initial euphoria of hitting on something new, a new direction. And doing without thinking has lead to interesting results, while thinking has often lead to stalemate, twenty year's worth. 😲

You have plenty of ideas, but indecision stops you from following up. Maybe if those ideas were placed to the side, the indecision would follow. The eye-book seemed to be working for you, before the move. I think I was suggesting something similar.

If I am being presumptuous, apologies. I am often full of shit. Despite the hot sauce.

Yes, your suggestion is definitely helpful. But what you say about the indecision stopping me is right on.

It's like those bags I started. I was SO excited about doing those. I made all these plans, sketched out over a dozen compositions for them, bought various supplies, cut up and glued all the bags. I even created a new space in my garage to make and photograph them. So happy. Then I made a couple and they turned out just how I wanted them to. But after that, something stupid happened. Something that normally doesn't happen to me, and I nixed the whole project. Since then I've been floundering and jumping from one indecision to the next. It screwed me. I'm mad about it too. I usually don't give a rat's ass what other people think, but it being my gallery not liking them, that messed with my head I guess. Now I don't know what I'm doing. I broke my own rules of letting someone else's opinion bother me. I'm just realizing this today while taking a good hard look at it.

So, back to the drawing board, literally.

You're not being presumptuous. I really appreciate you caring and helping! ❤️

Maybe you will exorcise the experience through using it as material for a future project...grist for the mill, as I've heard said.

Excuse my editing. The indecision sounds like it could be self-consciousness due to the nixed project. It's like you had so much faith in that project and it didn't come to fruition, then that plants the seeds of doubt to future ones. I don't know if that corresponds, but it would make sense.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth those paper bags are what caught my interest in this site! I found The idea inspiring. Since the pandemic Trader Joe’s won’t allow our reusable bags and as a result I have a good supply of grocery bags which I use for various art projects. 🙂

I just wrote out a long blog post about how I was feeling and I may post it tomorrow. I feel like maybe I figured it out, but that happens a lot, and then I soon realize afterward that I didn't figure it out at all. So I don't know. At this point in time, I "realized" I need to get back to one of my sketchbooks.
I really get this. I had a long rant to post and never press post. I thought that I’ d get locked up or locked out of somewhere or...
I am still working on that last oil, three strokes and I am out like.
This is where I am at at this point, birds are appearing by themselves and they are pissed.

Attachments

• 828FBB7B-EE98-41DB-9D7A-28203EB75158.jpeg
    828FBB7B-EE98-41DB-9D7A-28203EB75158.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 132
For what it’s worth those paper bags are what caught my interest in this site! I found The idea inspiring. Since the pandemic Trader Joe’s won’t allow our reusable bags and as a result I have a good supply of grocery bags which I use for various art projects. 🙂

❤️

That means a lot to me PSA. Thank you for telling me that. It helps to hear that actually. I don't want it to be all about the validation. I don't think that's what it is about exactly. I guess it felt like a waste of time if my gallery didn't believe in it, which meant my vision of showing them fell flat. Maybe that was it. Not sure. Still trying to figure it all out.

Jocelyne, I really love how this piece is coming along! Keep going...or sign it soon. I know how you're feeling though. Sometimes it goes slow like molasses.

❤️

That means a lot to me PSA. Thank you for telling me that. It helps to hear that actually. I don't want it to be all about the validation. I don't think that's what it is about exactly. I guess it felt like a waste of time if my gallery didn't believe in it, which meant my vision of showing them fell flat. Maybe that was it. Not sure. Still trying to figure it all out.
If you like what you are doing.......just do it! What does “the gallery” know?

Working on this, people on their 'phones on the Tube.
Got my text all ready, waiting for it to dry.

Dave, this is brighter than your usual stuff. It’s very cheerful. I think it’s done. Nice one!

While I'm feeling a bit better. (That medication has a week-long half-life and the doc took me off), I don't know what I'm working on now. Nothing! I'm back to feeling, well, uncertain. About everything. I hate admitting it. I feeling like I can't admit that, but it's the damn truth. So I'm going through an all new crisis for the moment, again. Too many ideas and not knowing which way to go.
Glad to hear you're feeling better Arty. Maybe as you feel better you will gain more certainty.

I think it's common to have times when the muse is not there or we are unsure which way to go with our art, or lives. I know I feel that way. I'm getting a very cheap french easel for doing plein air, because well, I paint landcapes and it's supposed to be so great. Problem is, I'm getting bored of the usual landscapes. So now at least I'll be bored outside. I've been looking at all kinds of art, trying to find something that excites me and I think I've found it. I've always liked Chinese landscapes and particulary contemporary ones. Hong Ling. https://www.rte.ie/culture/2016/1025/826658-in-the-picture-hong-ling/ This is the kind of thing that excites me. For now at least.

I will shamelessly copy some of this if I can. Just have to reduce the sizes from 8 feet long to, well, something smaller.

f53f9702-e4e0-4a15-9295-ea514f922221.Jpeg

Back