What are you working on?

Hi John, thanks for the words of encouragement. I really like your new style of influence. The above painting is fantastic. In many ways, it reminds me of my love for Lisa Sanditz's landscapes. This is also something that got me into a bit of a dilemma because there was no way I could incorporate her style into mine, or at least it hasn't happened the way I'd like it to yet. I wish you the best of luck on your work going forward and hope to see your progress. Will you be sharing it here?

If you like what you are doing.......just do it! What does “the gallery” know?
Hi PSA. I can do whatever I want and my gallery will support it, but my concern is that I need to produce a body of work if I want have another solo show. That's traditionally how I make money every couple of years.

After much soul-searching, I think I'm going to go back and work on those bag pieces. I think I need to get them out of my system at least, even if I never show them in public.

Other than that, I have never worked on any "series" in chronological order in my life, but I have many of them. I have to stop thinking about it so much and follow my heart, work on what I want to at the time, and allow for the pieces to fall into their categories as they will. There's not much else I can do about it. It just takes time I guess, and a show (of some sort) will accumulate eventually, most likely my "eye-book" paintings.

I won't be posting quite as often for a while. I'm working furiously on two Christmas commission portraits. Dumb Margaret, just doesn't know how to say no. :cautious: :giggle:

I started the outlines for a painting that is using this (mock-up) drawing on a 20 x 20 inch canvas. I'll have to wait for the paint to dry before I add all the color. (Olive, I swear drew this before I saw your beetles!)

batcakesnakeoutline-mock-up72.jpg

In the meantime, I will move onto a new grocery bag that has this basic composition:

bagtestcomp2.jpg

The split pink section is going to be two different types of printed fabric, and the hot pink stripe will be thick paper collage. The rest will be painted (the black lines, white circle, thin red circle, and the bottom olive/army green). This is just a sloppy mock-up I made in Photoshop.

Thanks sno. I am feeling much better the last two days. A little bit of stomach issues, but that's about it. I know the worst is over now. They say it takes a few weeks for this thing to leave my system, but it's been two now and I just finished my antibiotics for the infection. I may even take a walk today.

Ditto what sno said. Both projects look promising. Glad to hear you are feeling better and are back in the saddle. I love beetles! Not so much cockroaches. I found this last night in the clothes drier and thought we had an infestation!
20201204_201332.jpg

It's plastic. And there I was summoning the courage to negotiate the suspected creepy crawly into a jar with a paint brush. Wasted half the night. Ha!

I have been thinking about posting this. I don't know why I love the muted colours.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--261724996.jpeg

And btw sno, I really like your rattlesnake drawing.

I've been stalking...I mean viewing your work on FB. 😁

Btw, I spent last night trying to ID what species of cockroach I found. Plastic! I am glad I did not upload it for identification! Plasticus Cockyroachus.

Yes, scratchboard works. I didn't know the term. That tiger is immense! As a tiger should be. All your work is amazing though.

Last edited:
Hi John, thanks for the words of encouragement. I really like your new style of influence. The above painting is fantastic. In many ways, it reminds me of my love for Lisa Sanditz's landscapes. This is also something that got me into a bit of a dilemma because there was no way I could incorporate her style into mine, or at least it hasn't happened the way I'd like it to yet. I wish you the best of luck on your work going forward and hope to see your progress. Will you be sharing it here?

Finally responding to this LOL. I guess I missed it.

Thank you. Yes I would love to share it here. Being able to show my paintings here is my only outlet to the "public". It's huge motivation to be able to do so. I know being a pro artist must have it's negatives but being able to get your work in pubic must be nice.

I looked at Lisa Sanditz. Yes her paintings are great and I see some similarities between you and her. I can see why you like her.

This one is a bit like the above Hong Ling. Dense and beautiful. IRL this must be really nice. Also reminds me of the Les Nabis school.

swamp_sm.jpg

Amazing Iain, how much work you've put into this. So much variety in something that is basically repetitive. Very enjoyable to examine. ❤️

John, That Sandiz painting is one of my favorites.

Iain, I love this new drawing you're working on. Is it done? It looks it. I love all the detail in it. It's repetitive, but it seems each section is unique, which is what makes it so cool. Everything you post seems to be getting cooler and cooler! :)

Thank you Artyczar. What I posted is the finished half. The other half of the page is blank. I cannot seem to draw the structure then add colour. I need to do it as I go. If i didn't, it feels like I would lack the belief, drive, or something.

Back