What are you up to?

I would LOVE to see some hippos meandering through the streets or out in the wild! But no...I don't want to see a snake, and haven't so far, although there are plenty around here. I do tend to keep my eyes as much on the ground as I do looking up and around. But instead of showing you all MY colorful and dramatic flora and fauna (as if), how about I show you something BROWN...for a change? :rolleyes:

Magnificent desert landscape. The petroglyphs are fascinating. Around here you also get some, and rock paintings, done by the San people, some dating back many centuries.

Brian: I'd love to see those strolling hippos - I think! Gotta wonder what would happen if you needed to back out your car, and they weren't ready to move out of the way. :LOL:

For all their goofy appearance, hippos are cantankerous and extremely dangerous. Apparently they cause more human deaths than any other mammal in Africa. So I would suggest a bit of patience until they go park themselves somewhere else. :D

And more pretentious artsy photos. Around here, because of the rampant crime, people live behind high walls and electric fences, even here in my neighborhood, which is boomed off and probably safer than most places in Sweden. Thus, one cannot look into and photograph all the pretty gardens, and one is therefore forced to look at the world in a different way. Check out the spikes on the wall - they are not for decoration. I found the juxtaposition (obligatory art speak term) of thorny roses and a thorny wall amusing:

20240226_065151.jpg

And more shadow patterns. To my annoyance, it was only when I got home that I noticed that the blasted cell phone camera has once again done what it does: focus on the background rather than the foreground. I salvaged the picture by simply reducing its size, so now it looks marginally more sharply focused that it actually is!

20240226_070212.jpg

. Nobody really knows what the symbols mean or why it was done, but maybe this is their own version of...ancient graffiti. Just leaving their art mark on the world.
View attachment 39042
This one is easy! The hand means "slow down", and the shapes above the hand are a child playing "catch" with a dog! So it's a "Slow down, children at play" sign!

--Rich
(FWIW, I strongly dislike the implications of "Slow children at play" signs.)

I haven't been "up to" much in the past several months. In September (and, it turns out, through the summer) I had a series of TIA strokes. Finally had one in September that landed me in the hospital for a few days and that got me diagnosed with TIA's and a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Then, in November, on my birthday, my left foot peeled in thick layers of skin and exposed an open sore about the size of a quarter (American money) and I've been hobbling around trying to get that healed up, with only very slow progress. I've had peripheral neuropathy for about 10 years but wasn't diagnosed with a reason for it for all that time. I also had a stent and two balloons put into my femoral artery on the left side which I thought had done a good job of "fixing" my left foot, but obviously not, it looks like I was mistaken.

So to cut a long story short about that part of my life. I haven't been very physically active in several months now. And at present, I'm sitting looking out my window at the snow. I'm not going to take my limpy, gimpy foot out into this slippery white mess so instead I'm just looking out at it and hoping it's going to be spring soon.

Living in the mountains like I do, my internet is very unreliable, so I have a constant lover's quarrel with it. I've been entertaining myself with watching movies, which is very un-like me, and trying to get inspired to do some painting. I'm not a prolific painter so I stare at the blank page a lot.

I came to make this post because of something very odd and maybe just peculiar to me but maybe talking about it will help me get past it. When I bought a palette of Senellier paints a couple years ago, it had in it this color called "caput mortuum" and I fell madly in love with the color. It's the most beautiful reddish brown color I've ever seen. However, then recently I ran across information on that particular color and now I almost gag when I use it because I'm reminded of what I read. Isn't that silly? But what I read is that the original caput mortuum was made from the drippings of fluids from mummified bodies. It isn't now, I'm sure, but that's how it originated the article said. They used the fluids that dripped into the bottom of the sarcophagus.

I just had to share that and see if it would help me just get over it, for Pete's sake. I won't stop using and enjoying the color. I hope if anyone else loves the color but didn't know the origins of it they won't be turned off by my sharing. I feel kind of silly sharing it but does anyone else have squeamish reactions to stuff like this? I worked in medical settings (hospital, ER, ICU, etc.) and I married into a family of doctors and nurses and in college my Minor was Criminal Justice. Wouldn't you think I wouldn't be so darned squeamish about something so silly?

It's not silly at all, Grizabella - what you described up there is disgusting! Not a pleasant association for a color you just fell in love with. :(

But- yes, it's a process of the past. It's not happening now. You can enjoy this beautiful color and let yourself have fun with it.

There's a lot of unpleasant history involved with art media, most of it involving using animals. It's what was available during certain times. Much has evolved.

So sorry to hear about all your health issues. Art is healing and restorative, and hopefully that can be what helps you settle back into your artistic groove. ❤️

It's not silly at all, Grizabella - what you described up there is disgusting! Not a pleasant association for a color you just fell in love with. :(

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with burned sienna, thank you. :D

And another nature walk...

2024 Blesbok DSC_7704.JPG

Blesbok

2024 Cape white-eye DSC_7712.JPG

Cape white-eye

2024 Grey-backed camaroptera DSC_7669.JPG

Grey-backed camaroptera - quite a mouthful of a name for such a small little bird. :)

2024 Guinea fowl feather DSC_7662.JPG

Guinea fowl feather - much easier to photograph than the birds themselves, which tend to be very skittish.

2024 Morning glory DSC_7707.JPG

The morning glories are not indigenous, and indeed something of an invasive pest, but still make for pretty pictures. :)

2024 Peekaboo DSC_7685.JPG

Peekaboo!

2024 Yellow-billed kite DSC_7698.JPG

Yellow-billed kite.

2024 Weeds DSC_7650.JPG

I'm quite fond of these humble and more or less benign weeds. They persist, despite all our very best efforts to eradicate them, and one day when we are gone, they will be first to colonize our precious lawns and sidewalks.

I haven't been "up to" much in the past several months. In September (and, it turns out, through the summer) I had a series of TIA strokes. Finally had one in September that landed me in the hospital for a few days and that got me diagnosed with TIA's and a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Then, in November, on my birthday, my left foot peeled in thick layers of skin and exposed an open sore about the size of a quarter (American money) and I've been hobbling around trying to get that healed up, with only very slow progress.
Take good care of that foot! I lost my lower right leg to Type 2 and infection! What I find really helps with my blood sugar is NO! carbohydrates. No sugars, no starches. (I love spaghetti and pizza, but they are basically poison to me. 😭) With this diet, and meds, my A1C went from 8+ to 6-something in 3 months! Also, read the nutritional info on everything! Who'd'a thought there was sugar in mayonnaise, fer pete's sake!
I came to make this post because of something very odd and maybe just peculiar to me but maybe talking about it will help me get past it. When I bought a palette of Senellier paints a couple years ago, it had in it this color called "caput mortuum" and I fell madly in love with the color.
It is a nice color, but I was wondering why they called it "dead head" — I didn't think the Greatful Dead fans were around that long! 🥴
I just had to share that and see if it would help me just get over it, for Pete's sake. I won't stop using and enjoying the color. I hope if anyone else loves the color but didn't know the origins of it they won't be turned off by my sharing.
Nope. My granny, born in 1891 was an RN. (The nurses did all the dirty work back then.) So I'm kinda de-squeamified!
I feel kind of silly sharing it but does anyone else have squeamish reactions to stuff like this? I worked in medical settings (hospital, ER, ICU, etc.) and I married into a family of doctors and nurses and in college my Minor was Criminal Justice. Wouldn't you think I wouldn't be so darned squeamish about something so silly?
Nah, if everyone was the same, the world would be quite boring!

--Rich

That's a ring-necked parakeet, they're a wild bird here now, enough birds have escaped for them to establish a breeding population. They're most common in the south east but they're also further north and I think they breed in Glasgow now too. My granddad use to get them in his garden in the midlands.

Such a nice shot - love this little bird! :) That's so interesting to hear, Kay, that this type of parakeet is now considered wild in your part of the world. The parakeets on this side of the pond are called "budgies," smaller and unlikely to do well in the wild, except in the warmest of environments.

Thanks Kay,Terri. The strange thing is I lived in Brazil a decade and these birds used to be prolific in the garden there. It just seemed really strange seeing it here among the typical British birds as I shot this afternoon.
There's some really interesting photos in this thread and I really enjoy viewing.
DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0206 (1).jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

That's a ring-necked parakeet, they're a wild bird here now, enough birds have escaped for them to establish a breeding population. They're most common in the south east but they're also further north and I think they breed in Glasgow now too. My granddad use to get them in his garden in the midlands.

Yup, they've established themselves here in South Africa as well, and one sees them all the time. In fact, they're in the process of becoming a bit of an invasive pest. But very attractive birds.

2023 Rose-ringed parakeet DSC_5217.JPG

As I recall they are now found in many countries in the world. Apparently very adaptable, but it remains to be seen if they'll be able to adapt to the British climate. They're from sub-Saharan Africa, so it might be a bit too cold, but who knows...

Back in October I had scheduled a stay in a favorite bed & breakfast in Ohio wine country as an anniversary gift. Unfortunately, my wife came down with a nasty case of Influenza resulting in 5 days in the hospital. She came home for 2 days when it became Pneumonia resulting in another 7 days stay. I rescheduled our visit to my Spring Break so I'll be off line for a number of days as we enjoy our stay at the bed & breakfast, and enjoy some nice dining and wine tasting... before returning home to the nightmarish final weeks of school.

Back in October I had scheduled a stay in a favorite bed & breakfast in Ohio wine country as an anniversary gift. Unfortunately, my wife came down with a nasty case of Influenza resulting in 5 days in the hospital. She came home for 2 days when it became Pneumonia resulting in another 7 days stay. I rescheduled our visit to my Spring Break so I'll be off line for a number of days as we enjoy our stay at the bed & breakfast, and enjoy some nice dining and wine tasting... before returning home to the nightmarish final weeks of school.

Glad to hear your wife is better. Enjoy the break, and good luck with the educational nightmares. :)

It sounds lovely! Eat, drink and be merry!

And then get ready for the daytime nightmare. :LOL:

What I'm up to now is a few things, actually. First of all, I just had my third transfusion---not a walk in the park exactly but I sure feel better than I did this time last week. I'm looking for a primary care physician which is kind of a hard chore here in my area right now, but they tell me I need to find one and ask him to order IV iron because I can't take it orally and I'm an elderly person with a condition I don't remember the name of that causes an anemic condition.

And I'm moving into a much bigger place in a location I like a lot better within the same RV park I've been living in for about 5 years. I move next week. I'm very, very excited about that. I'll be surrounded by trees and flowers and with the creek running right by, so I'll have lots of fresh things to paint. The creek is more like a river---it's a large creek that flows year round. The osprey's nest is right across the creek from the new place and the man who used to live over there said you have to be careful when the chicks start flying and learning to fish in the creek because sometimes they misjudge and can't gain altitude when they catch a fish so they drop it and it can land on your head or your house. LOL I'll even have a second bedroom that I could use for art and beadwork but I'm probably going to just use it for a guest bedroom because all my big windows are in the living room.

Once I'm moved to the bigger place and settled in, I'm going to work on making some watercolor greeting cards or postcards. I think I'll try using that wax finish on them. I think I can find an outlet to sell them in the little town nearby, possibly.

I'll probably also do some beadwork. I haven't done any of that in awhile but I've got tons of beads in storage I'm bringing into the light of day again with this move.

What I'm up to now is a few things, actually. First of all, I just had my third transfusion---not a walk in the park exactly but I sure feel better than I did this time last week. I'm looking for a primary care physician which is kind of a hard chore here in my area right now, but they tell me I need to find one and ask him to order IV iron because I can't take it orally and I'm an elderly person with a condition I don't remember the name of that causes an anemic condition.

And I'm moving into a much bigger place in a location I like a lot better within the same RV park I've been living in for about 5 years. I move next week. I'm very, very excited about that. I'll be surrounded by trees and flowers and with the creek running right by, so I'll have lots of fresh things to paint. The creek is more like a river---it's a large creek that flows year round. The osprey's nest is right across the creek from the new place and the man who used to live over there said you have to be careful when the chicks start flying and learning to fish in the creek because sometimes they misjudge and can't gain altitude when they catch a fish so they drop it and it can land on your head or your house. LOL I'll even have a second bedroom that I could use for art and beadwork but I'm probably going to just use it for a guest bedroom because all my big windows are in the living room.

Once I'm moved to the bigger place and settled in, I'm going to work on making some watercolor greeting cards or postcards. I think I'll try using that wax finish on them. I think I can find an outlet to sell them in the little town nearby, possibly.

I'll probably also do some beadwork. I haven't done any of that in awhile but I've got tons of beads in storage I'm bringing into the light of day again with this move.
This sounds exciting, Ellen! Congrats on moving to a larger place. The area sounds beautiful, with a lot of painting inspiration!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's hard to get inspired when you have to battle through the aches and pains just to get set up.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work with the beads, and the greeting cards sound fun! What kind of wax finish goes over that? 🤔 Like a cold wax medium?

Less than half an hour from where I live is a rather nice nature reserve, but since it has some potentially dangerous animals, you can't walk through it unaccompanied, and since I don't have a car I seldom have occasion to visit. But my landlady's sister from Canada is currently visiting, and since she's very much into nature, whenever she visits, we go visit Rietvlei Nature reserve near Pretoria. I took a boatload of pics, far more than I can post here, so just a somewhat random selection:

2024 Buffalo DSC_8545.JPG

And this is why you can't just walk through there...

2024 Buffalo DSC_8548b.JPG

Cape glossy starling:

2024 Cape glossy starling DSC_8262.JPG

General scenery:

2024 Clouds and shadows DSC_8606.JPG

2024 Cumulus DSC_8519.JPG

2024 Dead tree 0326_154729.jpg

Ostriches somehow manage to be simultaneously goofy and graceful:

2024 Ostriches 0326_163104.jpg

2024 Ostriches DSC_8634.JPG

Being right next to the city, the place is crisscrossed with power lines, which many people find an eyesore, but not me; such scenes of heavy industry have always held a peculiar fascination for me, particularly in the kind of overcast weather we had early in the day:

2024 Pylons DSC_8288.JPG

2024 Red-knobbed coot DSC_8303.JPG

2024 Rietvlei dirt road 0326_154718.jpg

Stone chat:

2024 Stone chat DSC_8269.JPG

Slow and steady wins the race:

2024 Tortoise DSC_8501.JPG

Saw these geese fly past and took a sort of quick, spur of the moment snap. It didn't look like much when I downloaded it to the laptop; the geese were somewhat out of focus and the sky looked fairly drab and featureless. But when I desaturated the color and enhanced the contrast a bit, it made for a surprisingly dramatic picture:

2024 Two geese DSC_8312c.JPG

Wattled lapwing:

2024 Wattled lapwing DSC_8462a.JPG

Zebra with passenger in the form of cattle egret. They often accompany grazing animals, picking up insects disturbed by the animals' hooves:

2024 Zebra DSC_8530.JPG

Back