What are you Reading?

One of the most profound insights from the movie Dead Poets Society: the purpose of language is not to communicate, but to woo women. And get elected. And successfully threaten enemies.

Aesthetic Philosopher, Denis Dutton, made a strong argument for a similar purpose of Art. Like the peacock's feathers, he argued that beauty was an essential component of propagation and evolution. How many artists (Picasso, W.B. Yeats, Klimt, Rodin immediately come to mind) argued in favor of link between sex and art?

Something from the bookshelf I'd forgotten about. Interesting almost ancient perspectives (17th-century thoughts of a Jesuit priest, reimagined/translated by a soong writer) published late last century.
1000002576-01.jpeg
1000002574-01.jpeg

Reading

No longer human- Osamu dazai
The Black witch chronicles series by laurie forest

on hold
The visions of divine feminine by David Kinsley
Black witch chronicles was decently entertaining, exploring fascism and enforced conformity in fantasy world through perspective of a character high in hierarchy in some ways, low in others, might continue the series.

Finished no longer human, the beginning had the most impact on me, later it just wasn't connecting to my experiences or i didnt find it that insightful.

Also have read trans girl suicide museum which brings us to 12 books read in 2023 including some german children's book and short internet published ones, but the list was never picky.

50% through women and other monsters, which is a feminist analysis of monsters from mythology pared with authors lived experienced, a very enlightening and inspiring read so far, probably wont publish my version of medusa here though.

also started reading whipping girl, so far i feel like i know most of this stuff.

divine feminine still on hold, cant get myself to read it :(

I have long enjoyed a lot of Stephen King's books, though with a single exception, I never really found them particularly scary. The one exception was Salem's Lot, which, for whatever reason, creeped me out like no book before or since. But that was years ago, so I decided to reread it, with a twist: I got hold of a Dutch translation, in order to have fun with a book while simultaneously improving my understanding of that rather arcane language.

Verdict: yes, it's as deliciously creepy as last time, even though I knew exactly what was going to happen. :)

General life skill: if people you know to be dead scratch at your windows at night, begging to be let in, it's best not to invite them in. :D

Of course, this does not make for much of a story! 😂 But definitely a longer life!

The townspeople of Salem's Lot (well, some of them, anyway) began to catch on, but the problem is, the vampires hypnotize you, particularly if you look into their undead eyes, and then, however scared you are, you find yourself wanting to open that window. This is of course part of what makes them so creepy. :)

As an aside, a rather grim but absolutely fascinating book (I bought it from the bargain bin many years ago and still have it on the shelf) is Paul Barber's Vampires, Burial and Death, in which he proposes that the classical vampire from actual folklore (as opposed to Stoker's fantasies) evolved in the folklore as a result of people misunderstanding what happens to bodies post-mortem. Read the book if you want to lose weight (you will not have an appetite for weeks). But it's very interesting nonetheless.

51fHbBFijtL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ah, I see critics describe it as "engrossing." Well, pardon the pun.

done with women and other monsters, very good read, makes me want to explore the mythical beasts artistically especially medusa, but she does seem also the most difficult one to portray

finished reading whipping girl in hospital, wasn't much else to do, its good but feels like every insight is too wordy and longwinded

then i felt like reading I'm thinking of ending things, i watched the movie long ago and was frustrated that i couldnt interpret it without help, in book the premise is way more spelled out, less subtle, but there are much more smaller changes, to the extent where just the skeleton of the story is the same. I think one of interesting differences is that in the book Louis (or however you want to call her) is completely fabricated, just complete projection of a woman he considered talking to once, and it isnt clear what would happen if he did approach her, in the movie shes just gay, its made clear it couldnt have worked no matter what, there are other interesting differences but the core of who this imaginary woman in his head is, is the most striking one i think.

After that ive read mother country, 50 pages about life of second generation palestinian immigrant in united states, it was a brief read but it did feel insightful into how that kind of traumas affect people down the line, how damaging can be lifestyle of traditional wife.

Im considering reading reproductive tourism in united states

For some or other reason, I never read Paddington Bear in my youth. I have now fixed that oversight, and can recommend the stories wholeheartedly - they're quite delightful. :)

Right Now ! ... a Sci-Fi novel ... Infinity Gate by M.R.Carey ... a very entertaining Multiverse "epic" which actually uses scientific principles & a good heap of logic to back it up ... unlike some i've read before 😣 ... it fits in perfectly with my interest in the subject ... as my other selves might agree 😁 .

Right Now ! ... a Sci-Fi novel ... Infinity Gate by M.R.Carey ... a very entertaining Multiverse "epic" which actually uses scientific principles & a good heap of logic to back it up ... unlike some i've read before 😣 ... it fits in perfectly with my interest in the subject ... as my other selves might agree 😁 .
I enjoyed Sci-Fi novels years ago. I'll check this book out.

I’m reading Faux Pas by Amy Sillman. I’m on page 81, but I think I’m getting to the meat of the essays. It’s hard to explain, but it’s almost electric to hear all this about color and painting. It’s really clarifying for post abstract expressionism, especially in the USA. So many things are brought up I’ve never heard discussed. I recommend it.

I read quite a bit. Annie O is one I'm half way through. Quite harrowing, not up to finishing it yet.

Darkness Runs Deep, Claire McNeel, an Aussie story, again harrowing, about small rural town and women playing AFL. Thats our 'footy' league. My daughter and granddaughter lived through a lot of the backlash very similar to that described, so I connected with some of the elements in the story

I’m reading Faux Pas by Amy Sillman. I’m on page 81, but I think I’m getting to the meat of the essays. It’s hard to explain, but it’s almost electric to hear all this about color and painting. It’s really clarifying for post abstract expressionism, especially in the USA. So many things are brought up I’ve never heard discussed. I recommend it.
Great book, Mississippi Hippie. Sillman is one of my all-time favorite painters. I have all her books. I also once wrote and published a (kind of) review (or more like a gush) on the book Between Artists, which is a conversation between her and Gregg Bordowitz. It's a short read but very fascinating. The book might be hard to find because it was a long time ago.

There's also a pretty funny short sketchbook of hers about an artist's residency she went to that she seemed to hate. It's more like a little comic book.

Anyway, I love her. Glad you're getting into her work. I can see how you would be attracted to her aesthetic. :)

After two David Baldacci crime romps - entertaining but pretty mindless - I tried out something slightly more literary, in the form of Philip Roth's The Human Stain. As usual, the book is better than the film.

Read some essays on line of Amy Sillman and watched a video of some gallery pro talking about her and her concept of shapes. Very interesting lady to say the least. So much information that my head is swarming as most of it is new to the way my head thinks. She is very right sided and I can learn a lot from her to push me into the right side. I was always looking for a book that would include a glimpse as to how one learns to be right sided and her essays and thoughts have given me a light. Thank you MississippiHippie. And I should have known Ayin would have already been there. (y)

Just finished a shortish biography of Jean-Michel Basquiat, by one Eric Fretz.

One could argue that Basquiat's life was more interesting than his art. But I do enjoy some of his crazy scribblings. :)

Back