What are you Reading?

Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Betty Edwards, 1999. First read this years ago, put it on the shelf, forgot about it, rediscovered it, and reading it again from the start.

Just completed A World Undone by J. G. Meyer. It's been decades since I read The Guns of August and I wanted (and received) a more contemporary study. Meyer's narrative of the First World War is well researched and brings more context to the conflict as it shaped our history.

Louise Penny's newest novel A World of Curiosities came out a few weeks ago, and I finally have a copy! I'm about half way through. Over the last several years I've read each of her novels.
AND! There's a series on PRIME I think, called THREE PINES based on her characters which I'm enjoying.

After years and years on my to-read list, during which I almost started several times and then didn't, and then procrastinated, and then looked at the book again, without starting, and listening to everyone going on about what a classic it is, I have finally taken the plunge into reading Frank Herbert's Dune.

Considering that it's supposedly a classic, I expected dense literature, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it (thus far, anyway), an easygoing read. Intelligent without being incomprehensible, enough action to keep one's attention, but not so much as to descend into complete pulp.

Not sure whether one could call it high literature, but it sure is entertaining.

Read it when I was around sixteen years old, loved it.
So of course also read the whole series, a bit of a mixed bag those as I remember.
Whatever you do, don´t read the books his son wrote much later, I read one of those prequels, and that was one too many. They are ABYSMAL!

Completed my first Hemingway novel (The Sun Also Rises) in preparation for the book "Everybody Behaves Badly". I found the novel accessible (Unlike Hardy's The Return of the Native) but I didn't get the feeling I was reading a masterpiece. I'm now a third into EBB and the plot/character revelations along with the Hemingway bio is fascinating. The action and events surrounding the birth of Hemingway's first published novel have inspired me to take a second read now that the literary characters were based on a number of members of the Hemingway ontourage.

Another new to me, author, Sandra Brown. This is the third novel of hers I've read and there's a bunch more waiting!

I'm around halfway through this, and really enjoying it:

light_3.png

71NlAwl04SL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Currently, I'm reading Les Chants de Maldoror (The Songs of Maldoror) a French poetic novel, or a long prose poem. It was written by the Comte de Lautréamont, the nom de plume of Isidore Lucien Ducasse. The book has been on my shelves for years and years now... and considering my admiration for 19th and 20th-century French Literature (Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mallarme, Paul Valéry, Apollinaire, Proust, Andre Malraux, etc...) it is quite surprising that I haven't gotten around to reading this book until now.

Found this at a second-hand shop, so now I'm reading it:

210803210012_IMG_9843.jpg

The author's parents were good friends of artist Irma Stern, and after their death, she found a box full of letters that the artist wrote to them. The book is a memoir on how she remembers Stern (who often came to visit when she was a child), and contains extracts from the letters.

As huge fan of Stern's work I find it quite interesting. Gotta say, mind you, that my impression of Stern is that she was an absolutely insufferable narcissist, albeit a colorful, larger-than-life one. I enjoy her work; I would not have allowed the person anywhere near me. :)

Back