What Are You Listening To?

IMG_0951.jpeg

This is an old favorite of mine… and might be more up Hermes’ alley.

View attachment 42904

This is an old favorite of mine… and might be more up Hermes’ alley.

Ravel is certainly up my alley! :)

I have L'Enfant et les Sortileges conducted by Charles Dutoit with the Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal in my collection but not Rattle's version. I am a bit ambivalent in my response to Rattle, although I and many others admit that he is a very accomplished conductor. It is probably unfair of me to say that I sometimes get the feeling that he tries a little to hard to be "with it". Having said that, I like his version of Ma Mere l'Oye Ma Mere l'Oye with the Berliner Philarmoniker on that very CD you show in your post quite a lot.

Lest you think that I am prejudiced against Simon Rattle, I think his 2015 recording of Das Rheingold comes very close to Solti's monumental recording. I have both in my collection, as well as the stunning 2022 remastered reissue of the Solti version. On my setup the eight double bases at the beginning of the Prelude sound absolutely wonderful on both recordings.

Nana’s version is my favourite of Who Know Where The Time Goes?”. That and Seasons in the Sun, turns me into a crying mess. Some themes when done so well to music conveys all the exquisite feelings we cannot fully put into words. Both videos show these songs sung exquisitely live in concert. I saw her as a child maybe 11 years old front row centre in 1982 or 83. Yes, she was that good.

Last edited:
Was Nana Mouskouri influenced by Joan Baez, or perhaps the other way round?

I am reminded of the old joke: what is yellow, wears glasses and sings? Banana Mouskouri.

Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances. One of the very great moments in 20th century orchestral music.

The first movement's central section is vintage Rach - a slow, sad, and irresistible melody; the outer sections full of energy:

The second movement has been very aptly described as evoking a haunted ballroom:

The third movement starts slowly, somewhat tentatively, and then gradually builds up into complete frenzy, leaving the listener breathless:

A bit of gently pleasing indie folk, with scenes from Boyhood, in which the song was used, and a movie I found strangely compelling despite the fact that pretty much nothing happens in it. :)

Philip Glass - harpsichord concerto:

I have a number of Glass's works but this is new to me. Thanks, sounds like Phil :). I can't imagine how many different recordings of his music must be out there.. I have maybe eight and that barely scratches the surface. His "Heroes" symphony is one the more unusual ones. Mostly because he is borrowing some other music from Bowie and Eno.

And I like his soundtrack for The Illusionist.......great movie also.

I have a number of Glass's works but this is new to me. Thanks, sounds like Phil :). I can't imagine how many different recordings of his music must be out there.. I have maybe eight and that barely scratches the surface. His "Heroes" symphony is one the more unusual ones. Mostly because he is borrowing some other music from Bowie and Eno.

Sounds nice, and one more piece for me to go look into.

And I like his soundtrack for The Illusionist.......great movie also.

And speaking of Glass and film footage, I see that at least for the moment, one can watch Koyaanisqatsi on YouTube:

Thanks, Brian. It will be good to watch Koyaanisqatsi again. This time I will download it and save it on one of my drives with my other favourites.

I am not a believer in any religion, but certainly venerate the artistic by-products of many religions. In the case of Hinduism the dance has developed to high levels, as in the Shiv Tandav shown here.

Sounds nice, and one more piece for me to go look into.

And speaking of Glass and film footage, I see that at least for the moment, one can watch Koyaanisqatsi on YouTube:

I saw Glass and his ensemble perform that piece while the movie played. Quite amazing. That was a few years ago now.

Back