What Are You Listening To?

View attachment 42159

I'm now playing a recording I haven't heard in quite some time. I think the last time I played it was in my old studio... prior to COVID. I remember one of my studio partners complaining, "Not this one again!" I replied, "What do you mean? I haven't played this in quite some time." He went on declaring that I was "full of shit" and played it far too often. I then challenged him and asked "OK... then who is it?" He bellowed, "Rachmanoff, Mother Fucker!" I then laughed and informed him that the composer wasn't even Russian. I was thinking of this little exchange today before deciding to play this recording again. Richter was an incredible pianist and Kondrashin and equally brilliant conductor. In spite of the fact that this recording is older than me it sounds fabulous.

I discovered the two Liszt concertos in my teens, and have been rather fond of them ever since. Considering what a pianist Liszt was, one would expect a Liszt piano concerto to be absolutely epic; instead, both of these are shortish, but both have their share of Lisztian fire and lyricism.

And how about that other Liszt piece for piano and orchestra?

Some of it is a bit like Stravinsky got hold of a time machine... :)

EDIT: Oops, looks like you can't play it in the browser here; you'll have to click on the link to watch it on YouTube, which you may or may not do, depending on how eager you are to hear some glorious noise. :)

I haven't listened to Totentanz for ages. I see what you mean about Stravinsky, but I could say the same about Mussorgsky. To me this is also reminiscent of his A Night On The Bare Mountain.

I haven't listened to Totentanz for ages. I see what you mean about Stravinsky, but I could say the same about Mussorgsky. To me this is also reminiscent of his A Night On The Bare Mountain.

This reminds me of the day I learned that one really should not go watch a movie on opening day.

Years ago, probably late 1980s or thereabouts, they replayed Disney's Fantasia in movie theaters here. Now at that time I had never actually seen it, and because it is so highly acclaimed I decided to go fill the gap in my cultural education. On the day the film opened.

The theater was packed to the rafters. With old ladies who brought their grandchildren to come see this classic of, er, children's movies. As it goes under these conditions, the kids were rather noisy before the film started, but of course, they would soon settle down once the film started, right? Well, they did, for about five minutes. Then Disney's abstract visual interpretation of Bach bored them, and they started getting restless.

It went downhill from there: within fifteen minutes, the kids were all bored to tears, started talking, then walking around, then running up and down the aisles.. There were about ten thousand of them packed into the theater, all treating it like a playground. I could hardly hear the music above the din.

Then, finally, the Mussorgsky piece. Now THAT quieted them right down, for about thirty seconds. Blessed relief.

Profile_-_Chernabog.jpg

Then the terrified screaming began, and old ladies shuffled out with tearful kids in tow.

And that was my experience of probably the only really good film Disney ever made, but it was my own fault. Since then, no matter how eager I was to see a new film, I always waited a week or two for the crowds to thin out a bit. Not that I have been in a film theatre in many years now anyway. :)

I'm also playing a bit of classical music that is more "bombastic."

600x600bf-60.jpg

This recording dates from 1987 and was among the works that put Simon Rattle on the map. He has a newer recording from 2010 with the Berlin Philharmonic... but this remains one of my "go-to" recordings for Mahler's "Resurrection".

YouTube recommendation:

Turned out well worth a listen - Hummel wrote a great deal of really pleasant music, and would have been far more famous if he didn't have the misfortune of having to share the planet with that pesky Beethoven bloke. :)

I always think of Bernhard Henrik Crusell as being in the same boat as Hummel. Crusell's pleasant clarinet concertos are worth a listen.

I'm discovering the Bartok violin concertos...

They are not as thorny as one may suspect at first. With repeated listening, I think I could really get into them. :)

Turned out well worth a listen - Hummel wrote a great deal of really pleasant music, and would have been far more famous if he didn't have the misfortune of having to share the planet with that pesky Beethoven bloke.

This was surely the fate of many artists. Certainly even Handel and Haydn would loom much larger if not for Bach and Mozart. Gluck, Hummel, Michael Haydn, and many more are worth listening to but often unknown outside of the circles of Classical Music Aficionados.

1200x1200bb.jpg

Listening to some choral music this morning with the marvelous singers, The Sixteen led by Harry Christophers. The music seemed well suited to a lazy morning session working on rendering flowers... but I think I need to move on to something more upbeat now.

YouTube recommended this, so I'm giving it a listen:

It's like a quick summary of the whole trilogy. I enjoyed the films, but found that they do not withstand re-watching very well, for one reason: those blasted whining hobbits ("Oh Sam, what shall we do!?"). After a while I wanted to strangle Frodo myself. :LOL:

I adore Aaron Copland. Here is a video of his Quiet City, illustrated with evocative photos and some fitting Edward Hopper paintings.

This is a video of the ballet Parade by Jean Cocteau and Eric Satie, with costumes and sets by Picasso.

What I find inspiring is the enchanting and gorgeous male dancer and his blue and white costume starting at 14:25. That image of him at 15:48 takes my breath away. The costume may well be the seed of a painting or two I would like to do.

YouTube recommended this, so I'm giving it a listen:

It's like a quick summary of the whole trilogy. I enjoyed the films, but found that they do not withstand re-watching very well, for one reason: those blasted whining hobbits ("Oh Sam, what shall we do!?"). After a while I wanted to strangle Frodo myself. :LOL:

Oh her voice at the 21 minute mark. Chills. His voice at the 20 isn't bad either. All in all that was a moving performance. Maybe slightly schmaltzy but I can be sucker for that.

And they got Patrick Stewart for the spoken words? Why didn't they ask me? :)

I've been intrigued by the neoclassical chamber groups Now Ensemble and yMusic. Seeing how they do this magic on video is very interesting.

Last edited:
Back