Weekly Art Event: November 12 - 19

Not sure my pear is quite so pleased with itself - I think it'd like to be one of the apples. Pastels on construction paper, A2.
The pears seem to be having some kind of troubles; they run the gamut from mine with delusions of grandeur, to yours with an identity crisis!
Your fruity trio(?) looks great, whatever the hidden stories behind them :) Those loose and rough strokes of color and line have a wonderful confidence.

Here's my "Odd One Out." This was done from an image on pixabay in Artrage Digital Oils in multiple layers.

This turned out to be much harder than it looked. The perspective is where the challenge was for me. I ended up doing it by what "felt" right. Despite that, it was fun. Can you spot which is the odd one out?

Thanks for hosting this week Maureen.

20211112D Dice (WAE 11-12-21, Pixabay).jpg

The pears seem to be having some kind of troubles; they run the gamut from mine with delusions of grandeur, to yours with an identity crisis!
Your fruity trio(?) looks great, whatever the hidden stories behind them :) Those loose and rough strokes of color and line have a wonderful confidence.
Apple & Pear painting is really nice and I do love that pear!

Here's my "Odd One Out." This was done from an image on pixabay in Artrage Digital Oils in multiple layers.

This turned out to be much harder than it looked. The perspective is where the challenge was for me. I ended up doing it by what "felt" right. Despite that, it was fun. Can you spot which is the odd one out?

View attachment 13032
Anne, a very clever digi! Great! And yes it's the top dice with only one on it - all the others have more numbers?

Last edited:
Here's mine for this week. I have no trouble painting from photographs OR real life, but trying to think of something to paint for the prompts was difficult. So finally went out and picked some Pansies and brought them inside and created some sort of a composition. Thanks for Hosting this week Maureen! Now all I have to do is think up some sort of a prompt for next week!
My "Odd one Out" painting is Watercolor and Watercolor Pencils - on watercolor paper - 25cm x 30cm
WAE.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind comments. I love all the stories about the fruit - that's something I really want to think more about when I'm drawing!

and it works really well on the pink paper too.
I have a stash of coloured sugar paper & choose pretty randomly, but pink is a bit of a favourite. I'm trying to learn more about working on coloured surfaces.

ams - Great idea, and I like that you went with doing the perspective by feel. Love the result - very striking, and the subtle reflections are so well painted!

Vivien - Beautiful, delicate work with the watercolours - perfect for the pansies, and fun to hear how you worked out the theme.

Very pretty, Viv. It’s nice that they’re from your garden. Pansies have cheeky little faces!

Lovely work Triss, super use of the medium …. I actually feel quite sorry for that Holden pear towering above his lowly neighbours!!😂
Oh dear ... apologies for the typo..... should read 'golden pear'🙄

Nice one Anne ... it's the only one showing only odd numbers ... rest are evens!

Viv, such a pretty display of pansies .... hmmm .... now which one shall I choose as 'odd'?😂

Last edited:

View attachment 13032
Very good, Anne. Is it that all but one has a set of four spots?

Vivien, love your pansies. I like how you did the leaves too. It all works so nicely together.

triss, thanks for your comments. I had to soften and dim the reflections a lot more than I thought I would need to. It was nice working with them on their own layer digitally, I was able to just make the layer partially transparent. I've used that technique doing shadows too.

Thanks Kay. Glad the surface came through the way I wanted it to.

Thanks Penny.

Thanks for your comments and guesses on the "odd one out." what I had in mind when I painted it was what Maureen saw. All but one die had only even numbers showing, one die had just odd numbers.

Nice one Anne ... it's the only one showing only odd numbers .

Such beautiful, delicate pansies, Viv! And the leaves and background work so well with them. Your pansies look like flowers that might grow on clouds :)

Ha! Clever, Anne! It took a few seconds to spot the Odd One. I counted the dice first.

Well, not a self portrait but nonetheless there is always one different one in any group. A sketch, 9x10 ink and watercolor cows, featuring one of them with the number 7 on her forehead, and her friends at the feedlot, done with black Tombow brush pen on hot press sketchbook paper. I've omitted the other cows and extra background clutter and worked from a black and white photocopy.

Feedlot.jpg

Love your lonely blue bottle, Lamar, it is a nice one!

Triss, also love your pear and apples. Pastels on construction paper looks so neat and painterly of a sketch!

Anne, is it the center one? A hard ref to do for sure!

Viv, your fresh pansies are a delight!

Back