Weekly Art Event: 10-17 December

Anne, I really like your tomatoes on the vine and would vote for you to take them further. The greenery is very graceful and artistic.

I really appreciate your lovely comments on my coffee cup. Although, my name is not Claudia, and I'm happy to just go by "monarch" on the forum. 😊💗
Thanks for your comments about my tomatoes monarch. I agree that it could go farther but this sketch book tends to start lifting pigment with multiple wet layers so I'm not sure how far I can go. Real watercolor paper works better if I want to do more than a sketch.

Sorry about the name mix up. I've been participating in a few multi-page threads and I obviously got mixed up about who started which thread. :cry:

Monarch, that’s excellent! Real coffee … ahhhhh, bliss!😉

Anne the toms are lovely and it’s sad (and annoying) when the paper prevents developing the work!

I decided to try pushing the color a little more by adding another layer. This time, I made sure everything was totally dry and used normal watercolor rather than the watercolor pencils. I also made sure I didn't use too much water since the paper is designed for light washes but not a full blown wet-on-wet watercolor painting. I was pleasantly surprised at the result. I was able to add more color by laying down the color and then leaving it alone (difficult to do sometimes!).

Monarch, thanks for the encouragement to go a little farther. I don't think I would have tried it otherwise.

Water Media Dec-Tomatoes.png

What wonderful entries are already in this thread. Beautiful work, everyone!!

Thank you for hosting, Kay.

And thank you to Kay Smith for the use of her reference photo of a mug and saucer, which both seem round but are actually ellipses… o_O 😅 I find ellipses very tricky! 😆

This is gouche 7x7 on mixed media paper.
View attachment 15015
I love your coffe cup, so bright and cheerful.

I decided to try pushing the color a little more by adding another layer. This time, I made sure everything was totally dry and used normal watercolor rather than the watercolor pencils. I also made sure I didn't use too much water since the paper is designed for light washes but not a full blown wet-on-wet watercolor painting. I was pleasantly surprised at the result. I was able to add more color by laying down the color and then leaving it alone (difficult to do sometimes!).

Monarch, thanks for the encouragement to go a little farther. I don't think I would have tried it otherwise.

View attachment 15056
I like the colours of your tomatos. They look tasty!

Reactions: ams
Thank you for the lovely comments, Maureen and Penny.

Anne, I’m so glad you took the tomatoes further! They look summery and delicious. Glad you could figure out a way to layer successfully. I’ll try to remember your leave-it-alone technique for the next time I‘m in a similar situation and struggling to stop myself. 😆

Anne, I’m so glad you took the tomatoes further! They look summery and delicious. Glad you could figure out a way to layer successfully. I’ll try to remember your leave-it-alone technique for the next time I‘m in a similar situation and struggling to stop myself. 😆
Leaving it alone isn't easy to do! I feel as if I should sit on my hands or something. :giggle:

Leaving it alone isn't easy to do! I feel as if I should sit on my hands or something. :giggle:
Anne I know that feeling and have often experienced it! Sitting on my hands when I'm tempted to add more to an art piece is definitely something I should do! I like your more finished tomatoes but also liked them in your first artwork!

Jessie - lovely, and very creative. It has a dreamlike quality to it.

Monarch - great work on the cup of coffee! Lovely reflections and the bubbles are a nice touch.

Anne - lovely work on the tomatoes. I liked the first version you posted, but I like how you developed it. Love those colours!

Well it's pretty poor form for the host not to post anything ...

I do have an idea for an abstract piece that I was quite excited about, but once I'd designed it I realised I couldn't do it properly without a compass and protractor (I want my 'rounds' to be round!) and I don't have those things here ... my picture may appear at a later date ... sad.

Of course you're forgiven Maureen! 🙂 It's often difficult to find time for everything, especially at this time of year!

It works for me Lamar! I see plenty of round shapes here. I like the colours you've used and the arrangement of shapes. Thanks for joining in. 🙂

Works for me too Lamar - and I appreciate the difficulties of tiny screen and fingers!!!! Nice idea, definitely!

I have managed to get my idea made real!:D
It's ROUND, definitely - The Winter solstice/Yuletide/Return of the Light ........ Acrylics on a cd!

DS Winter solstice dec 2120211222_09403777.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AES
Back