Waste Not, Want Not - The Sculpture Edition

Hermes2020

Unlike using up leftover paint, I can't easily do that with rapid set concrete, I usually calculate and measure out the amount I will need at any time, without too much wastage. Concrete is much cheaper than paint, but it still pains me to see it going to waste, so when I had about a kilogram with an expiry date at the end of December, I did something completely free and unplanned with it. There was just enough to make the next tiny sculpture (200mm high), plus the base. It was made by poking random holes and indentations into a block of plasticine, then connecting the holes with 3mm copper wire before pouring the concrete into them. The base was poured and stained separately. I think it is going to be another useful little spontaneous gift.

Untitled a.jpg

Untitled b.jpg

Untitled c.jpg

Untitled d.jpg

Untitled e.jpg

Untitled f.jpg

Thank you, everyone. I hope you will benefit from my experiments as well. This has given me some ideas for new sculptures.

Oh, I just love it. ❤ The texture, colors and design are wonderful. Beautiful to look at.

Great job using up your extra supplies, Hermes. Sounds like it led to new ideas, too - another bonus! :)

Wow! That is a very interesting and beautiful piece. Hands-down my favourite.
Each face works independently within a unity. Can't life be shit 😁

Wow! That is a very interesting and beautiful piece. Hands-down my favourite.
Each face works independently within a unity. Can't life be shit 😁
:giggle: Thanks, Iain! I think I will try this technique on a bigger scale for a commission for a sculpture someone wants to install at a house entrance.

Back