Split Concrete Sphere 2

Hermes2020

Since regaining my energy levels after recent therapy sessions, I've made this 300mm diameter split concrete sphere with stainless steel elements. The aim was to get my hands dirty again in preparation for a planned much larger concrete bird feeder sculpture. Although the concrete shell is hollow and the walls are only 15mm thick, the piece weighs in at 13kg. The natural colours and textures of the rapid set concrete are sealed in with a light polymer sealant. I guess it may be too brutal and raw for some people, but I am quite pleased with the result.

Split Sphere 300mm 1.jpg

Split Sphere 300mm 2.jpg

Split Sphere 300mm 3.jpg

Split Sphere 300mm 4.jpg

Split Sphere 300mm 6.jpg

Awesome! Wow this is so cool, Hermes! As a person who is waiting patiently for a couple of bones to knit together so I can have my hand back I immediately thought the texture of the concrete looks so very bone-like. The rod structures could be seen as bringing the halves together or holding them apart. (In my case they represent healing!) It's so good to know you are feeling better and getting back to creating the amazing work that you do.

Awesome! Wow this is so cool, Hermes! As a person who is waiting patiently for a couple of bones to knit together so I can have my hand back I immediately thought the texture of the concrete looks so very bone-like. The rod structures could be seen as bringing the halves together or holding them apart. (In my case they represent healing!) It's so good to know you are feeling better and getting back to creating the amazing work that you do.
Thank you Donna. I like your interpretation very much. I obviously wanted to express certain things when I made it, but for now I will just let each viewer interpret it personally. Good luck with your healing process.

I love it. I have a great tactile response to this piece: meaning, I want to reach out and touch it, feel the texture and test its weight. I love the delicate stainless steel grid-like pieces. ❤️

Very unique. A prototype for a bird feeder sculpture, you say? Wow, can't wait to see it!

I love it. I have a great tactile response to this piece: meaning, I want to reach out and touch it, feel the texture and test its weight. I love the delicate stainless steel grid-like pieces. ❤️

Very unique. A prototype for a bird feeder sculpture, you say? Wow, can't wait to see it!
Terri, your response is very much in line with my motivation for making it, so thank you for that. This is not so much a precursor to the bird feeder; more a kind of exercise to get me back into the physically demanding process of making a life size concrete sculpture. The bird feeder is going to be a semi abstract kneeling nude man holding a tray aloft. The tray will hold the dishes of bird food.

I love it. It's the sort of thing I could look at for a long time. I love how the heavy concrete elements are held together by such a delicate steel structure. Well done. 👏

I love it. It's the sort of thing I could look at for a long time. I love how the heavy concrete elements are held together by such a delicate steel structure. Well done. 👏
Thank you. Those wires are only 1mm in diameter, but there are so many that the structure is rock solid with zero wobble. The power of a united group effort! I enjoy working out the very necessary engineering of my stuff as much as the artistic aspect.

So many different interpretations to this piece. I looked at it yesterday, and then again today - and both times I get a different impression based on my mood. I think this is simply brilliant!

So many different interpretations to this piece. I looked at it yesterday, and then again today - and both times I get a different impression based on my mood. I think this is simply brilliant!
I am so happy that you seemed to get something out of it. Thank you for calling it brilliant!

This is a beauty Hermes! Hope all is well...
Thank you so much, and sorry I didn't see your comment before now. I am doing well and have regained my strength. I can report that the person I made it for is really very pleased with it.

Back