Victoria Memorial, Kolkata

Balaji

After a very long time I joined my sketch group today to sketch along with them. But given the prevailing covid scenario it was only an online sketching event. The host shared a number of photo references and we all decided on one of them and each of us sketched our own interpretation of it, and in the medium of our choice, in a little over an hour. I chose to sketch with pen and ink and this is what I came up with.
CWA#499 Victoria Memorial, Kolkata.jpg

That’s a clever response to an unfortunate situation. Do you know where the photo was taken? This is very nice. I like how you handled the reflection. It does seem as if the pond might be closer to the building for the amount of detail you have in the pond surface. Or, I’m looking at it wrong, regardless, very nice.

Nice sketch and a good way to at least bring your sketching group together.

Anne

I agree - very nice for the time involved here. You have an entire scene, with lots of detail. Well done!

Good stuff, Balaji! I've so enjoyed your recent watercolors, but it's also fun to see you picking up the pen again! And I like seeing India (a place i may never be able to visit) through your work.

This is lovely. Hope your group gets to go out and about soon. I much prefer that to on-line plus we have poor internet for Zoom stuff.

That’s a clever response to an unfortunate situation. Do you know where the photo was taken? This is very nice. I like how you handled the reflection. It does seem as if the pond might be closer to the building for the amount of detail you have in the pond surface. Or, I’m looking at it wrong, regardless, very nice.
Thank you. The photograph was taken at Kolkata about 9 or 10 years ago by my friend who hosted the virtual sketching session.

This is lovely. Hope your group gets to go out and about soon. I much prefer that to on-line plus we have poor internet for Zoom stuff.
Jo...I too do not care too much for this online sketching session. But it was good to get together with the group. Hopefully we should be able to sketch out in the open soon.

Good stuff, Balaji! I've so enjoyed your recent watercolors, but it's also fun to see you picking up the pen again! And I like seeing India (a place i may never be able to visit) through your work.
Thank you Lamar. I moved to watercolours not only because I wanted to learn to paint but also because my hand is not steady enough these days for pen and ink sketching. But I have now decided that I should not give it up and should rather learn to cope with that unsteadiness.

Back