Tripod recommendation?

Bartc

Nothing wrong with my Dolica for plein air, once I added a truly heavy duty pan head mechanism to hold heavy pochades. But it is getting old and wearing out and after all this is gift season - and my spouse if bugging me for a list!
Manfrotto is the master, but it's wayyyyy too expensive.
Anybody have a recommendation of a great pan/tilt head collapsible travel tripod for under $150?

Long ago (2012 I think) I had to buy a tripod from my new (at the time) camera. The camera was small in size and rather lightweight. In the shop, the clerk proposed a Hama Star (perhaps 61, not sure about the model number) low priced, although I was ready to pay more for a good tripod. He told that for that camera there was o need to pay more for a tripod. The tripod is stable for a lightweight camera, up to 1.60 m high, with quick release socket. One problem I faced was that it didn't allow to tilt the camera, so it works for horizontal frames. Of course I can turn left-right, up-down, and move the entire camera up-down. I'm not fully satisfied because I find the camera isn't absolutely horizontal. As I can't tilt it for, say, a few degrees I have to look for something to put under one of the legs so that the camera stays very horizontal. It was the first time I bought a tripod. Next time I'll pay much more attention to such (essential) details.

If you have to use it with a heavy camera, you have to look for a heavier model. A professional grade camera with a big lens can't stay on a lightweight tripod. Velbon is a brand I trust (more expensive than Hama and loved by advanced amateurs). I'm not aware of the tripod market now (I bought the Star about 26 euro in 2012, now I see it is "solded" around 35 euro in the web). The best would be to try it in a shop with your own camera. Be sure that it allows all kind of rotations. I didn't do so, and I didn't find the small but annoying problems.

Buy the heaviest tripod/head within reason. You'll have to carry it. Even for a lightweight camera, a lightweight pod will invite camera shake. I suggest scanning through some of the online dealers like B&H Photo, Amazon, but I suspect you already have.

This would be my pick

Slik Pro AL-523-3WFC Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with Arca-Type 3-Way Pan-Tilt Head​

and a dual screw release plate
(or you could modify/add a screw to the one that comes with the Slik)

This tripod checks all the boxes
3 section more stable than 4 section type
flip locks easier to operate and less likely to get jammed with dirt
pan-tilt head more stable than ball type
Arca-type release (with 2 screws) eliminates twisting on the release plate.
2 screw release plate
you might find something better or cheaper and I've no experience with this particular set up

Last edited:
Folks, let me clarify: this is not for a camera, it's for my various painting pochades, which tend to be much weightier than cameras, larger and therefore require a 22 lb. capacity. I already have such a pan/tilt head. Just seeking the base tripod legs portion that is lighter, but yet sturdy and reliable without extremes of cost. Thanks.

Benro TAD27A Series 2 Adventure Aluminum Tripod​

I happened to be casually looking at tripods myself. I have a Bogen 3021 I bought over 30 years ago. Still works great, one of the clamp springs needs "exercising" - stretched, so it clamps tighter, other than that - also a bit heavy but I don't have to carry it far. Thinking now just going to keep using it, 'cause don't use it than often now-a-days anyway.

This one is 3 sections and uses flip locks (not twist locks) which are my preferences.

A 22 lb pochade box must be a monster! My 1/2box French easel is <11# and my gear bag - including my lunch inside - comes in around 10#.

Last edited:
Bongo, that might work. Would love something like that a pound lighter, but a good tip.
I don't believe my pochade at the largest weighs over 12 pounds, but maybe. I just find that a tripod head that handles 11kg (22lb) works best.
Remember, it's not just the weight of the pochade, it's also the torque you put on it pressing your pastel or brush onto the painting surface that is attached to the pochade top or mast. That puts a lot of torque against the small area holding the head to the shaft of the tripod. People forget that this isn't just standing still as a camera would, it's being pushed hard!

Bongo, that might work. Would love something like that a pound lighter, but a good tip.
I don't believe my pochade at the largest weighs over 12 pounds, but maybe. I just find that a tripod head that handles 11kg (22lb) works best.
Remember, it's not just the weight of the pochade, it's also the torque you put on it pressing your pastel or brush onto the painting surface that is attached to the pochade top or mast. That puts a lot of torque against the small area holding the head to the shaft of the tripod. People forget that this isn't just standing still as a camera would, it's being pushed hard!
Yes, but I think you'd have to pay dearly to shave another pound of those legs. Good point about the torque. When I first started exploring plein air kits, the thing that turned me off about Pochade boxes was the tendancy to twist on the tripod connection. That's why I was suggesting a quick connect that attaches with two screws instead of one. the Arca-swiss type or one of it's immitators that use a longish connector would allow you to attach to a Pochade with 2 screws

Yes, but the torque issue remains. I never had difficulty with the one screw plates. You do have to construct the pochade (I do DIY) carefully to balance the loaded weight over the screw, though. Lots of folks make the mistake of trying to center it, which is not necessarily the center of weight.
To be honest, I don't know if all the expense is going to be worth the result of a new tripod. My old one was inexpensive and still holds up with the heavy duty pan/tilt head, but it is a bit wobbly.

I bought two Chinese carbon fiber tripods off of amazon last yea r, both in the $100 range and the mechanism to Extend the legs broke on both Within a week. so Don’t get those.
My dolica lasted a long time, several years, and so did my easyL, but there has to be a better one for the price.
of course, the manfrottos are the ones that will last a lifetime.
it seems Like there is e aspects to buying a tripod:
cost, wont break, weight
and you can only have two

I know it’s maybe more easel than you are looking for, but the take it easel is extremely easy to set up,doesn’t weigh much, and is the sturdiest plein air easel made. One of my friend uses a pochade box on the shelf for the palette, so you wouldn’t have to ditch the pochade. Just my 2 cents I know you probably are looking for a tripod and I’m looking for one as well as like I said, mine are all broken.

I have a Dolica, Kyle. It works and was inexpensive, but I had to swap out the tilt/pan head for a much heavier duty one due to the stress of my pochades. It's still a bit wobbly and I've had to replace parts. Workable, so I don't have to rush into this.

Looking at the Zomei someone recommended, but likely have to swap out the ball head for my tilt/pan preference. Key for me is much greater stability and if possible lower weight. Hard to do on a budget; hard to do any time!

Back