Dave Woodman AKA Dave Woody

Artyczar

We are very honored and excited to present this month's spotlighted artist to you and are sure you will be tickled to read about him. We know him and love him as Dave Woody, and his art has made us all smile. Now we have the opportunity to get to know him a bit deeper and hear more about his interesting point of views and the personality we've all come to know.

We'd like to thank Dave for participating in this interview, as it was an entirely special experience for us. :)

1. From what part of the globe do you hail and is this where you spent your childhood?

I am a bit of a mongrel…I was born at home: 129 Broadoak Road, Wythenshaw, Manchester England. My dad was an electrician in the coal mines, and we emigrated to South Africa when I was 6 where he got a job working in the gold mines in the Highveld, Johannesburg.

When my folks divorced, I was 13. I followed my mom to the Lowveld, a small town called Nelspruit. I had the best ever childhood, teenage years, and my school friends from High School are still my best friends. I moved back to the UK to avoid joining the SA army in 1983 and have lived in London since then but return to SA every other year. I feel very, very lucky to have SA as my "home." It is where my heart is.

dw1-needleandthread.jpg

"Needle and Thread," acrylic on cheap canvas, 30cm x 30cm.
I like this, it's quite deep, procreation, the beginning of making something, etc. Surprised myself at being able to deliver such a 'nice' image.

2. How did you get started in painting?

March 2017. I saw a photo of a man mowing his lawn as a Tornado is seen looming in the background. His wife pleaded for him to stop mowing and come inside, but he wouldn’t. I remember thinking, this story will only survive a day on electronic news feeds, but if I painted it, it would be seen all the time, so, I painted it. I just felt compelled to document the story. This started my whole ‘documented’ paintings philosophy. My good mate JP (from High School) commented, "Dave, you're not a great painter, but you tell a good story." And it really struck me that I have a little niche to pursue and, the stories by far outweigh [my] painting ability. I am not precious at all about lack of talent with a brush, or depth, or real-life. I just love putting out pictures with a story. That grew into ‘painting and targeting a story to individuals.' My first success came when I painted a moment in the 2017 F1 season where Verstappen overtook Raikkonen, off the track, to claim a podium position, only to be demoted after the race.

The head of Redbull F1, Sir Adrian Newey, lives 12 minutes from us, so I thought, Local painter, memorable F1 moment, delivered by Lee, our postie, gonna take a chance, nothing might happen.

I painted the scene scruffily, as I do, and included a well thought-out letter, handwritten, offering it as a gift (hang it or hide it, it’s yours), and had it delivered. He wrote back to me a month later gratefully accepting the gift and wishing me well in my painting career. YAY...Wow...and...I can’t even paint properly. The story is everything to the individual.

I have nearly 200 pictures documented around the world, telling stories (and another 130 stuffed in the shed, homeless).

dw-fries.jpg

"Fries," acrylic on board, 20cm x 12.5cm.
Early piece that worked so well, I realised I was able to capture more by using my fingers from a paint pot, than I could ever do with a brush. This I sent to one of my school friends who lives in USA, but...unless the light captures it jus' right (as in this pic), it is just a flat and charmless dabble. He never responded to me about it, so I figure he's never seen it in the best light it needs.

3. What other types of art-type things are you involved in?

Only music. I am a guitarist by trade, but I don’t care to gig anymore...40 years has been long enough.

4. Do you have any other specialized backgrounds?

Bored with guitar, [in] 2009 I took up learning Blues harmonica…wow, what a joy.

Started a band, wrote an album of songs, and in 2014 came 2nd in a band competition on BBC Radio.

Job done. I still have the mics and harps amps, but don’t play much anymore.

dw-goodlistener.jpg

"Good Listener," acrylic on board, 25cm x 15cm.
Sometimes, you just have to paint what comes in your head. Mix of finger and brush work. My son likes this one and won't let me give it away. I am particularly happy with this, half decently painted, believable story etc.

5. Can you share with us what you do for a living?

I love my day job. I am an Aviation Security Trainer.

I love aviation. I work with fantastic people. I get to drive airside and time manage my work without supervision…perfect.

6. How do you get your ideas for your artworks?

I actively create them or find inspiration in what I see and hear going on in the world. I work on a Monty Python sense of humour, coupled with minimal finger strokes…knowing when to STOP trying to make something better. If it looks like a car, leave it. If resembles a person after only 4 or 5 strokes, then don’t try and make it better by adding more. I am not precious about being any good, just…colourful and descriptive.

7. What are your aims and intentions when you are working on a painting (what do you want your audience to know)?

I think I really want them to laugh, mostly, then realise I am quite the minimalist, i.e.: Goodness me, a person made up of only 4 or 5 strokes?

I want these days and this age to be documented: people on phones, Trump, shopping, home life, mostly. Documented by someone who has no ability to make it true to life but captures something truly about life.

dw-smallboat.jpg

"Small Boat," acrylic on canvas, 15cm x 10cm.
All fingers. An Attempt at something "arty." Given to my 1/2 brother in SA who loves images of boats. Took me 20 minutes to do.

8. What are some of the roadblocks you have faced that you have managed to overcome so far?

Since I have no interest in being commercial, the only roadblocks I can comment on encountering is the postal Service in South Africa failing to deliver and having works returned a year or more sometimes, after they were posted. Some disappeared too! The only other roadblock is me…knowing when to stop and recycling pictures that I really should have kept. Because my son and wife have very little interest in my works, I sometimes looked at them thinking, who in world wants a picture of a sheep in a pub going "Baaaaa."

9. What advice do you have for artists starting out?

I have no idea except...If it looks good to you, it will probably look good to someone else.

dw-pred.jpg

"The Predator," acrylic on canvas, 30cm x 30cm.
Early 'comment' attempt. Plastic bags in the oceans. Owned by family member.

10. If you could bring three things with you to a deserted island, what would they be?

My son, a telescope to stargaze with and a sofa.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I truly, truly am grateful when people respond to my pictures. My local art gallery will not hang or try to sell my work because it isn’t what their customers are after, so my targeting of individuals continues, with recent success in the form of Drew Pritchard.

Thanks so much for sharing your life and history with us, Dave! You had a unique childhood - lucky you! :) Very interesting to read how you approach your work.

Thanks for this! ❤️

Dave, I found your story fascinating; thank you for sharing with us. I wasn't aware of your South African connection. It is an interesting country for many reasons! I have visited Nelspruit a number of times to train operators of Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry instruments in a laboratory that analyses citrus oil for export to perfume manufacturers in France.

Dave Woody said:
I want these days and this age to be documented: people on phones, Trump, shopping, home life, mostly. Documented by someone who has no ability to make it true to life but captures something truly about life.
I, for one, love your observations and documentations! I've never seen it written that art has to be "true to life," so I bring no expectation of such to your work. It's brilliant the way you capture the essence of a situation in that free, expressive, and wry way of yours. And the fondness for the characters around you is so often evident in your slice-of-life paintings, and they come across as the creations of a man of good will :) Your painting above - Good Listener - is a great example of your powers of observation - it bitingly captures a scene that we're all too familiar with, but it doesn't seem judgemental.
My local art gallery will not hang or try to sell my work because it isn’t what their customers are after...
You need to find the person or gallery behind the promotion of Albert Willems' art. Seems as though there is a market for your kind of works!

Good on you to remain true to your convictions on art. Nice interview. You only need to please yourself as you sure can't please 'em all.

I thank all of You for taking the time to look at my stuff, commenting on them and continually encouraging me.

I swoon when I see the art here, outrageous talent and ability, I am happy to be the loon, you are all so kind. Thank you.

Dave, I found your story fascinating; thank you for sharing with us. I wasn't aware of your South African connection. It is an interesting country for many reasons! I have visited Nelspruit a number of times to train operators of Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry instruments in a laboratory that analyses citrus oil for export to perfume manufacturers in France.
Citrus...oh yes, we used to ride our 50cc's through the orange groves as kids. It is so cool to know... you know my home town.

I, for one, love your observations and documentations! I've never seen it written that art has to be "true to life," so I bring no expectation of such to your work. It's brilliant the way you capture the essence of a situation in that free, expressive, and wry way of yours. And the fondness for the characters around you is so often evident in your slice-of-life paintings, and they come across as the creations of a man of good will :) Your painting above - Good Listener - is a great example of your powers of observation - it bitingly captures a scene that we're all too familiar with, but it doesn't seem judgemental.

You need to find the person or gallery behind the promotion of Albert Willems' art. Seems as though there is a market for your kind of works!
I was given a heads up a few months ago about AW. Sent a few emails to a dozen people associated with him and hus work, but, no responses as of yet.

Great interview Dave, thanks for sharing it. You have lived a fascinating life. Keep on being "you".:giggle:

Very interesting interview; thank you! Your work is so refreshing and unique and I always like the people and the stories that you feature!

We are very honored and excited to present this month's spotlighted artist to you and are sure you will be tickled to read about him. We know him and love him as Dave Woody, and his art has made us all smile. Now we have the opportunity to get to know him a bit deeper and hear more about his interesting point of views and the personality we've all come to know.

We'd like to thank Dave for participating in this interview, as it was an entirely special experience for us. :)

1. From what part of the globe do you hail and is this where you spent your childhood?

I am a bit of a mongrel…I was born at home: 129 Broadoak Road, Wythenshaw, Manchester England. My dad was an electrician in the coal mines, and we emigrated to South Africa when I was 6 where he got a job working in the gold mines in the Highveld, Johannesburg.

When my folks divorced, I was 13. I followed my mom to the Lowveld, a small town called Nelspruit. I had the best ever childhood, teenage years, and my school friends from High School are still my best friends. I moved back to the UK to avoid joining the SA army in 1983 and have lived in London since then but return to SA every other year. I feel very, very lucky to have SA as my "home." It is where my heart is.

View attachment 28145
"Needle and Thread," acrylic on cheap canvas, 30cm x 30cm.
I like this, it's quite deep, procreation, the beginning of making something, etc. Surprised myself at being able to deliver such a 'nice' image.

2. How did you get started in painting?

March 2017. I saw a photo of a man mowing his lawn as a Tornado is seen looming in the background. His wife pleaded for him to stop mowing and come inside, but he wouldn’t. I remember thinking, this story will only survive a day on electronic news feeds, but if I painted it, it would be seen all the time, so, I painted it. I just felt compelled to document the story. This started my whole ‘documented’ paintings philosophy. My good mate JP (from High School) commented, "Dave, you're not a great painter, but you tell a good story." And it really struck me that I have a little niche to pursue and, the stories by far outweigh [my] painting ability. I am not precious at all about lack of talent with a brush, or depth, or real-life. I just love putting out pictures with a story. That grew into ‘painting and targeting a story to individuals.' My first success came when I painted a moment in the 2017 F1 season where Verstappen overtook Raikkonen, off the track, to claim a podium position, only to be demoted after the race.

The head of Redbull F1, Sir Adrian Newey, lives 12 minutes from us, so I thought, Local painter, memorable F1 moment, delivered by Lee, our postie, gonna take a chance, nothing might happen.

I painted the scene scruffily, as I do, and included a well thought-out letter, handwritten, offering it as a gift (hang it or hide it, it’s yours), and had it delivered. He wrote back to me a month later gratefully accepting the gift and wishing me well in my painting career. YAY...Wow...and...I can’t even paint properly. The story is everything to the individual.

I have nearly 200 pictures documented around the world, telling stories (and another 130 stuffed in the shed, homeless).

View attachment 28146
"Fries," acrylic on board, 20cm x 12.5cm.
Early piece that worked so well, I realised I was able to capture more by using my fingers from a paint pot, than I could ever do with a brush. This I sent to one of my school friends who lives in USA, but...unless the light captures it jus' right (as in this pic), it is just a flat and charmless dabble. He never responded to me about it, so I figure he's never seen it in the best light it needs.

3. What other types of art-type things are you involved in?

Only music. I am a guitarist by trade, but I don’t care to gig anymore...40 years has been long enough.

4. Do you have any other specialized backgrounds?

Bored with guitar, [in] 2009 I took up learning Blues harmonica…wow, what a joy.

Started a band, wrote an album of songs, and in 2014 came 2nd in a band competition on BBC Radio.

Job done. I still have the mics and harps amps, but don’t play much anymore.

View attachment 28147
"Good Listener," acrylic on board, 25cm x 15cm.
Sometimes, you just have to paint what comes in your head. Mix of finger and brush work. My son likes this one and won't let me give it away. I am particularly happy with this, half decently painted, believable story etc.

5. Can you share with us what you do for a living?

I love my day job. I am an Aviation Security Trainer.

I love aviation. I work with fantastic people. I get to drive airside and time manage my work without supervision…perfect.

6. How do you get your ideas for your artworks?

I actively create them or find inspiration in what I see and hear going on in the world. I work on a Monty Python sense of humour, coupled with minimal finger strokes…knowing when to STOP trying to make something better. If it looks like a car, leave it. If resembles a person after only 4 or 5 strokes, then don’t try and make it better by adding more. I am not precious about being any good, just…colourful and descriptive.

7. What are your aims and intentions when you are working on a painting (what do you want your audience to know)?

I think I really want them to laugh, mostly, then realise I am quite the minimalist, i.e.: Goodness me, a person made up of only 4 or 5 strokes?

View attachment 28148
"Small Boat," acrylic on canvas, 15cm x 10cm.
All fingers. An Attempt at something "arty." Given to my 1/2 brother in SA who loves images of boats. Took me 20 minutes to do.

8. What are some of the roadblocks you have faced that you have managed to overcome so far?

Since I have no interest in being commercial, the only roadblocks I can comment on encountering is the postal Service in South Africa failing to deliver and having works returned a year or more sometimes, after they were posted. Some disappeared too! The only other roadblock is me…knowing when to stop and recycling pictures that I really should have kept. Because my son and wife have very little interest in my works, I sometimes looked at them thinking, who in world wants a picture of a sheep in a pub going "Baaaaa."

9. What advice do you have for artists starting out?

I have no idea except...If it looks good to you, it will probably look good to someone else.

View attachment 28149
"The Predator," acrylic on canvas, 30cm x 30cm.
Early 'comment' attempt. Plastic bags in the oceans. Owned by family member.

10. If you could bring three things with you to a deserted island, what would they be?

My son, a telescope to stargaze with and a sofa.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I truly, truly am grateful when people respond to my pictures. My local art gallery will not hang or try to sell my work because it isn’t what their customers are after, so my targeting of individuals continues, with recent success in the form of Drew Pritchard.
Quote:

Well done, and well said. Perfect purpose for art, or that's what I think 😀. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to meet you. Jen

Dave, your interview and art are both thoroughly engrossing. You have a rare talent of capturing things to which one can immediately relate. You must be fascinating to meet and discuss just about anything! Like so many other posters, Good Listener appealed to me. And the tube symbol brought back memories of riding when I visited London decades ago. The motion of the thread toward the eye (of the needle) seems imminent in Needle and Thread. Since (one) of my artistic problems is overworking, your ability to simplify a subject to its essence is greatly admired. Obviously your work is dissimilar in style to Japanese paintings, but the principle is the same in that minimal information is used to convey the subject.

Many thanks for sharing your life and art with us!

Ayin, thank you for your time and effort in this outstanding interview. The brief "story" behind the featured works is an inspired idea, and really adds to the viewing experience.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read the interview and equally a huge thanks for all your replies and comments.

I am frivalous with paint, but sincere when thanking you ....

I rarely comment on your art (time restraints) but enjoy looking. It is always fun and tells a story. Nice to hear your story as well. Keep slapping on the paint and have fun.

Amazing story and profile. Very well written. Thank you Dave Woody and Arty for this interview.
I would like to see the painting of Max Verstappen fight against Kimi Räikkönen!

Back