The Sentinal

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks, This was a hard won painting and I cannot say I am satisfied, its OK (to me) but I have mannaged better.
We had done a lot of travelling and on our return, I spent two days up a ladder picking olives. That was OK, but now I had the start of a sinus irritation. But I was determined to repay myself with some painting.
I packed up my pastel box and my carry bag of bits and my light easel and drove up to the top of the village near the path along the hills. I had painted here before and had a spot in mind. I slung my homemade guerilla box on, and my tote bag (now feeling heavy) and with easel in hand started off along the path. Its rocky, gravelly, steep and twisty. By the time I got to the spot, I despised the easel and I could now see that the 40% slope was no place to set up. Stubborn, I set up on the path, it blocked my view, a little up the hill I could get a solid setting but standing one leg bent against the slope (I only had to turn to reach my pastels on the ground. After a little drawing, I gave it up, pulled the blockout off the board and set a new sheet then scrambled up the slope with my pastel box and board only. At this stage the nose was drippy, yuk.
Anyways, after a bit over an hour I was "done" and feeling lousey, time to go. I packed up but was feeling so flat, sat on the ground and nibbled some trail mix. I pondered the walk back as I was really not feeling so great now, on this path a wrong step would go very baddly. Slowly, dripping and tired I headed back and was ever so glad to see the car. Any ways, here is the result. Sorry, as always, my phones camera has mangled colours but I think you get the idea.
EDIT sorry 30x40 cm. mostly Rembrandts and some strat Fabercastell on Canson MT smooth side
As always, composition, focus, value etc input is most welcome. Best to all.
IMG-120555-PA-Vrulja.jpg

Last edited:
Nice color and the comp is likeable.
When it comes to atmospheric regression of color you seem to have did it to the landscape hills but forgot about the water and sky. Sky regresses from top to bottom and water from front to back and slightly from sides.

MurrayG, sometimes plein air locations are difficult, we face surprises and painting in some places is a struggle. Lovely pleinair and in the end all worth it.

Nice color and the comp is likeable.
When it comes to atmospheric regression of color you seem to have did it to the landscape hills but forgot about the water and sky. Sky regresses from top to bottom and water from front to back and slightly from sides.
Hi Wayne, thanks, your thoughts mean a lot. The water changed soooo much. this is one of the windyest spots (Vrujla). On the left behind the cliff is a gap that funnels the wind in great arcs of lght and dark ruffles. But your input is useful gotta remember it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Lovely painting but yes, could be improved with some variations in the water. ❤️❤️

Murray, you really suffered for your art! Good one and don't be so hard on yourself, neither in creating in situ nor on the painting.

Hmmm. the more I look, the water on the ref photos gives some hints. I may try a studio piece. Useful pointers as always

Murray,
I have not done a lot of plein air but some and I remember reading that one should really take it all in at the moment and then go like crazy using what is before them for color reminders all the while remembering how it was when they started. The whole reason for being out was to get inspired to use different color arrangements as that is what happens with time. In a studio one can get lost in formulas for color arrangements and keep making the same painting. It isn't required that you get exactly what is before you but that you get your inspired moment. You are doing well. The journey is a tough one. A lot is demanded in short order.

Plein air is always an adventure, that is part of the charm and what drags us in.... For an hour, this is a great painting. I like it a lot!!

You get extra points for painting when you didn't feel well, Murray. I think you did a fabulous job of capturing the light and feel of the day! I don't have any wisdom to offer on painting water so I'll trust you to do what's best. Maybe a water study the next time you're out. 'Hope you feel better!

Murray,
I have not done a lot of plein air but some and I remember reading that one should really take it all in at the moment and then go like crazy using what is before them for color reminders all the while remembering how it was when they started. The whole reason for being out was to get inspired to use different color arrangements as that is what happens with time. In a studio one can get lost in formulas for color arrangements and keep making the same painting. It isn't required that you get exactly what is before you but that you get your inspired moment. You are doing well. The journey is a tough one. A lot is demanded in short order.
Wayne, thanks for the very kind and thoughtful advice. Basically, the whole thing ATM is a learning curve. Trying new ideas and lessons learnt without strangling the thing. I think I see progress, I usually use small pleinair as a reminder for natural colour and natures ways and try to get it down later. Sometims, it snaps into place, others... well ;)

You get extra points for painting when you didn't feel well, Murray. I think you did a fabulous job of capturing the light and feel of the day! I don't have any wisdom to offer on painting water so I'll trust you to do what's best. Maybe a water study the next time you're out. 'Hope you feel better!
Hi Donna, been laid up for a couple of days, but on the mend now. Thanks for the encouragement

The gravel and weeds at the bottom of the painting are particularly well done. From that vantage, I get dizzy looking down at the water.

Murray is that scene in your profile picture taken from the same area?

The gravel and weeds at the bottom of the painting are particularly well done. From that vantage, I get dizzy looking down at the water.

Murray is that scene in your profile picture taken from the same area?
Hi Bongo. Same general view. The profile photo was taken after a hike along the upper ridges above the village, looking down along the coast. This drawing was much lower down along a hiking trail along the sea about 300 meters elevation. And yes, from the grass, there are a series of cliffs down to the sea. In other parts, the pines march down the hill to smaller cliffs. The first mountain is Biokovo and the bay (left in the drawing) goes into a windswept but stunning bay, Vrujla. There is a gap in the range just there and the wind funnels through and when it s Bora wind, great sheets of spray race across the sea a couple hundred meters high! Bewitching. That drawing spot is a small gap and the path continues up the hill to overlook the bay. The scale of the place is hard to depict. Thanks for commenting.

Looking at your choice of location I am thinking #1 I would end up rolling down that hill. #2 My supplies would end up rolling down that hill. lol Bravo to you for picking that location...especially when you weren't feeling well. You did a really nice job on this and after reading the comments I agree that there should be a little variation in the color of the water. You have such wonderful detail in the foreground.

Looking at your choice of location I am thinking #1 I would end up rolling down that hill. #2 My supplies would end up rolling down that hill. lol Bravo to you for picking that location...especially when you weren't feeling well. You did a really nice job on this and after reading the comments I agree that there should be a little variation in the color of the water. You have such wonderful detail in the foreground.
Thanks Joan, input appreciated.

Back