The Next Sketch Is

My one and only still life. Done in my first and only classroom art class when I first started watercolor 25 years ago when I was forced to paint a still life. Now it's on the kitchen wall.

1721748424553.png

Next, choice.

OK so maybe I lied. I guess this is a still life also. I took some bamboo from a patch in our yard and used it as a model for this painting. Good thing I got a pic of this because I have no idea where this painting went. Maybe it got stained or something and I chucked it.

Watercolor, 16 x 16" ?. I guess that now it's a digital image of unlimited dimensions. LOL

This was fun because it was all about one stroke differential brush loading and brush work. I had discovered SUMI-E at the time. Now that I think about it I would like to get back to doing this in some way. It's meditative and calming for some reason. Ummm, I guess Zen. :)

1721859516104.png

next.................choice

Last edited:
Ayin, love that painting but on my monitor it's too big to see it all. I reduced my scaling to really low and then could see it all at once. Very cool painting.

Ayin, love that painting but on my monitor it's too big to see it all. I reduced my scaling to really low and then could see it all at once. Very cool painting.
Thank you John! I'll try to make my posts a little smaller. Sorry about that! โ™ฅ๏ธ

Being born in the early 70s this piece makes me feel right at home. Decor. But the piece tells us much more. First of family problems and thenโ€ฆthe ironic humour some of these situations we find ourselves in.
Question. And you donโ€™t have to answer if you donโ€™t want to. If this was a personal memory that you are depicting, did it help drawing it out? Literally and metaphorically? I just wonder, Iโ€™ve been thinking about doing something from my past as well and I was wondering how gratifying that would be. I did something through a therapist and it was really helpful and my husband said itโ€™s the best piece I ever drew. Not that it was for artโ€™s sake. You donโ€™t have to answer that if you donโ€™t want to or you can message me with your answer if you just want to privately let me know.
Who is the only piece I can find with furniture.
Pencils and pastel
IMG_6578.jpeg

Last edited:
Being born in the early 70s this piece makes me feel right at home. Decor. But the piece tells us much more. First of family problems and thenโ€ฆthe ironic humour some of these situations we find ourselves in.
Question. And you donโ€™t have to answer if you donโ€™t want to. If this was a personal memory that you are depicting, did it help drawing it out? Literally and metaphorically? I just wonder, Iโ€™ve been thinking about doing something from my past as well and I was wondering how gratifying that would be. I did something through a therapist and it was really helpful and my husband said itโ€™s the best piece I ever drew. Not that it was for artโ€™s sake. You donโ€™t have to answer that if you donโ€™t want to or you can message me with your answer if you just want to privately let me know.
I had to think about this for a minute. But I'm an open book and don't really mind talking about it.

That piece is called "Babysitter," and it's a real scene from my childhood during one of the many times my mom was gone. She had mental illness and had to stay at the hospital at times. My dad didn't know how to take care of us, and this was the time he hired some guy he knew from his work downtown. Dad was a pattern maker in the garment industry. I really don't know where he found this person. He could have been some vagrant for all I knew; I was pretty young in 2nd grade. He watched me and my older brother for a couple of months. He watched game shows and drank beer all day, so we'd ditched school, and no one even knew. But when my dad found out, he quickly got rid of him and hired and nice lady who watched us, cooked, and cleaned the house for the remainder of the time (a few more weeks).

I like drawing and painting real scenes from my past, sometimes exaggerating them for comic effect. It's freeing and releases a lot of anger and pain for me. I'd recommend it. Even happy memories can be healing, too. :)

Thanks so much for answering that question. And I definitely was interested in the story of the piece. I bet having that nice, competent lady come in was very comforting and reassuring.
I totally agree with your assessment about doing work from your memories and past. It must feel like quite an undertaking.

Back