The Austrian Incident

Hausamann

Over a decade ago I travelled to Austria for the World Masters Cycling Championships - Road. On race day I hit the deck head first and got knocked out for 40 minutes before paramedics awoke me. For me the race to the end was replaced for a race to the hospital. I broke two teeth and got eleven stitches on my jaw. I have no recall of what happened. All I remember is a sudden forward rush towards the bitumen. As a result, I suffered minor brain damage which took about 5-6 months to heal.

I was able to leave the hospital later the next day. Back at the hotel I took a photo of myself through the bathroom mirror.

IMG_8711-400.jpg

My carbon bike was broken into four pieces. My helmet, watch and sunglasses were broken. My riding kit was damaged and bloodied. To try and remember the incident I thought perhaps an art therapy exercise might trigger some recall. Because I had a lot of damaged material to take home, a collage would be ideal.

I had to wait a few months for my cognition was well enough to put the collage together. At the end, I still don't recall the crash. It was a hard lesson to realise that when you're unconscious you're unconscious :D.

The foreground
AUSTRIAN INCIDENT prep.JPG

This is framed and hanging up in my bike and gym room. Reminding me of what can happen at a blink of an eye. And that providence, in this case, was my saving grace.
Size 1200 x 900mm
AUSTRIAN INCIDENT_ 1000x758.jpg

Wow, what a horrible experience and I’m so sorry that happened to you! It hurts my head just to read this. Do you have any residual physical problems today, or are you completely healed? Have you gone back to bike riding or have you decided…umm no thanks?

I like this work…a lot. You get immediately that there was a tragedy and you wonder what really happened to this Australian in Austria. The composition is good, too and I like your choices of background bits and the clouds reflecting in the….propeller thing (??) near his head. When you worked on it, did it trigger any new memories?

(And aren’t I annoying with all these nosy questions??)

<if you think Olive's annoying--->

Yup- more trauma from which to make art. At this rate, you will likely never have to see a therapist (of the head-kind. Other body parts, not so sure).

I get you're lying on the road- there's blood and apparent xrays of the damage. But I am kinda missing more parts of your bike. A gear or two, maybe bent up handlebars. But it works without- I just don't like guessing things.

As is, without your story that this was a race, I'd not have known. Could've been knocked over by rotor-wash....

(The MediVac is an excellent touch)

You will likely never remember the actual incident- it's a trick of the brain: When it is involved in the trauma, it is so busy reacting [OMG! I've been HIT!] it forgets to move incidents from short-term memory to long-term storage. Probably for the best- nearly dying is not often considered a healthy memory.

Wow, what a horrible experience and I’m so sorry that happened to you! It hurts my head just to read this. Do you have any residual physical problems today, or are you completely healed? Have you gone back to bike riding or have you decided…umm no thanks?

I like this work…a lot. You get immediately that there was a tragedy and you wonder what really happened to this Australian in Austria. The composition is good, too and I like your choices of background bits and the clouds reflecting in the….propeller thing (??) near his head. When you worked on it, did it trigger any new memories?

(And aren’t I annoying with all these nosy questions??)
Thanks for your concern but there is no need to.
To answer your questions:
I still get a bit wobbly on my feet know and again, but I am very steady on the bike - which keeps me up and balanced.​
I still ride and race.​
The 'propeller thing' is a beam of healing grace from providence. The top part in the beam is a hand of light. It all becomes clearer when looking at the real thing.​
No memories came from it.​

<if you think Olive's annoying--->

Yup- more trauma from which to make art. At this rate, you will likely never have to see a therapist (of the head-kind. Other body parts, not so sure).

I get you're lying on the road- there's blood and apparent xrays of the damage. But I am kinda missing more parts of your bike. A gear or two, maybe bent up handlebars. But it works without- I just don't like guessing things.

As is, without your story that this was a race, I'd not have known. Could've been knocked over by rotor-wash....

(The MediVac is an excellent touch)

You will likely never remember the actual incident- it's a trick of the brain: When it is involved in the trauma, it is so busy reacting [OMG! I've been HIT!] it forgets to move incidents from short-term memory to long-term storage. Probably for the best- nearly dying is not often considered a healthy memory.
Thanks for funny remarks to lighten it up.
Some things work better as a mystery, or remaining unresolved, so the observer can have their own part of the story in the painting, and consequently become part of it.
There is some truth in what you say about memory transfer for storage, and no memory helps the body to deal with the needed repairs.

Oh my--so sorry that happened to you. Really glad to hear you are--have--healed so thoroughly from this event and that you're back riding. You've produced a wonderful, vivid piece about it, and I love the beam of healing Grace. Best wishes to you for more adventures!

Oh my--so sorry that happened to you. Really glad to hear you are--have--healed so thoroughly from this event and that you're back riding. You've produced a wonderful, vivid piece about it, and I love the beam of healing Grace. Best wishes to you for more adventures!
Thank you ntl for well wishes and encouraging words.

I absolutely love this piece. It's raw and authentically charged. The colors are cool too. I'm sorry about the incident. I've had concussions before, and they are just plain weird (the memory thing). I'm just glad you're okay now and it wasn't worse! Art is the best medication, always. Pain killers work too. ;)

Oh my gosh, what a story! It’s good to hear that you still ride and race and your artwork is an amazing testament to your resilience!

Back