Stuffed toy. First attempt at oil pastels.

16ga

This is my first attempt at oil pastels.
OP001 Stuffed toy.jpg

Working with oil pastels wasn't exactly what I expected and I'm still not really sure what I think of them.

You’ve done very well. Nice clear colours. When I tried them, all I could get was muddy colours.

You certainly laid down some nice, bright colors here. Cute!
Working with oil pastels wasn't exactly what I expected and I'm still not really sure what I think of them.
hmm...that doesn't sound like a rave review. ;) What brand were these? The colors look very rich. I am also noticing the texture of the paper - Mi-Teintes or similar, by any chance? Although this paper is really pushed as being great for pastels, I personally do NOT like it for oil pastels. I find trying to blend in all that heavy texture too labor intensive. Maybe I'm just lazy. ;) But a smoother paper might make them easier to handle.

I'm interested to know what challenges you had while you worked with them. :)

Thanks everyone. Not having a lot of colors to work with or experience mixing I wanted to find something with bright colors without too many different shades.

The pastels are a cheap crafters closet set of 15.
paper is strathmore pastel paper 400 series. I should have pointed out its a smaller 4.5”x6” sheet.

Most of my issues were simply from being inexperienced with the medium.
First I sorta expected them to cover better and hadn't expected the pencil lines to show though.
The pastels themselves were unconformable to work with as I prefer something more square. Plus the edges wear down quicker then I expected while trying to do more precise work.
Blending of course wasn't as easy as I expected which made the highlights and shadows come out somewhat wield. But I also found it to be a challenge trying to blend without pushing color outside of the intended area.

First, I found your pencil lines a charming addition of detail. :) But this is how you learn about opacity in various brands. Mungyo Gallery Soft have, by and large, excellent opacity and blend well together. You might consider a small set. They're a decent size, though not square.

Also, I find blending OPs is easier with tools, from regular paper tortillons to silicone-tipped clay shapers. You'll have better control staying within your desired areas.

A little trick to sharpening an OP stick is just to keep scrap paper nearby and use it to rub an end of an OP to get it flattened, which gives you a nice edge. Softer OPs only need a few swipes.

Also, depending on the brand, the thing I like about OPs is that, after a few layers have been added, they become much easier to move around and blend. One thin layer on textured paper can be difficult to manage. Once they're built up, though, you can use the clay shapers to push them around, and get some nice texture in there.

I keep returning to oil pastels, never quite embracing them, but never junking them :unsure: One thing they're particularly good for is studies; you can lay down a lot color quick and easy, and get a pretty good idea what a final piece - in whatever medium - might look like. Terri is the best for advice beyond that (y)

I will say that paper as rough as what you used would drive me mad! And I didn't even notice your pencil marks, but you taught yourself something about oil pastels there - they're generally fairly transparent (in my experience).

This is my first attempt at oil pastels.
Nice job! I like the rainbow effect.
I kinda like OPs. They fit my style (Quick-n-Simple) rather well. I use canvas paper and canvas board for the support. Sometimes I'll use a brush and turpentine to "melt" the color into the support, especially when I don't want the white to show through. Best advice I can give is to play (errr, experiment) with them. 👍

--Rich

I’ll go with smother paper next time and try some tortillons.

And thanks Terry. I just looked the Mungyos up and if I get a better set I might go with those. But I’m kinda just experimenting with things to see what mediums besides oil plaint to get into.

This is so cute and happy. I like it very much. Terri knows what she's talking about here, and I do think smoother paper will help with blending. Good first attempt, me thinks. ❤️

You might be interested in this video of Sandi Hester (thanks again, Hermes2020) reworking an oil pastel painting starting at about minute 14:20. It's a good illustration of someone using some of the favorable properties of OPs. Also interesting that she's using black paper.

You might be interested in this video of Sandi Hester (thanks again, Hermes2020) reworking an oil pastel painting starting at about minute 14:20. It's a good illustration of someone using some of the favorable properties of OPs. Also interesting that she's using black paper.
Interesting link - thanks for that, Lamar! I always enjoy seeing how others work with oil pastels. She's using Neocolor II for most of this video - the water soluble ones. Fun stuff!

It's very cute! As for coverage and such; Gallery by Mungyo are the best inexpensive pastels I've tried, and I highly recommend them. I got my 48 set for around $20 on Amazon. Even with Mungyo, you'll want to lighten your under sketch as much as possible, just in case.

Oil pastels are tricky, but once you get the hang of them, they're a lot of fun. Good luck!

Back