Study of Chalk Tree.

16ga

I was asked to do an oil painting that looks like a chalk board drawing. Having no clue what I was doing I started with a quick study.
This is 5.5”x7” on paper and done with only paynes grey and titanium white.
021.jpg

Criticism, tips, and advice are welcome.

Pretty good idea of chalk board. I think Paynes was a good choice. (y) (y)

I guess one would have to do a chalk drawing to know what to look for. Like it but fail to understand the light underneath the tree.

This is really cool, especially the background, as it looks like a chalkboard. The marks, if thinner, would look more like chalk marks I think. Or (if you're going to make them thick), making each mark blunt on each end might do the trick, like you made them with a stick of chalk. If you get what I mean.

Thanks everyone!

I guess one would have to do a chalk drawing to know what to look for. Like it but fail to understand the light underneath the tree.
Never did chalk drawings myself. I have some pictures I was using for reference.
The bottom is supposed to be a grassy patch under/in front of the tree but it ended up too strong.

This is really cool, especially the background, as it looks like a chalkboard. The marks, if thinner, would look more like chalk marks I think. Or (if you're going to make them thick), making each mark blunt on each end might do the trick, like you made them with a stick of chalk. If you get what I mean.
I agree on the lines. The real painting will be bigger so the lines will effectively be thinner on it.

Back