studios

Wow Kay, that is so cool. But do you get any men to brave the pink? Or maybe that's the idea. :)

What am I saying. Real men aren't afraid of pink. :)

My studio/office is now a warm white and much more empty/minimal than it was.

So now I want to do a large colorful abstract thing. Where we paint influences what we paint. It's an obvious thing but something we forget perhaps. I challenge anyone in a large white space to paint a small tonalist landscape. :)

This has me thinking. When I started out painting over 40 years ago the idea of a studio was totally intriguing, but money wasn't there.
Then when we bought our home and the kids came, the idea of a studio was again intriguing as a getaway as much as a work space, but the time wasn't there and eventually neither was the space.
Now that the kids are long grown and away and I'm about to retire, my wife floated the idea of a studio in the garage. I'm not fooled, it's merely her way to goad me into cleaning up the garage, while she has not offered the 3 kids' former bedrooms that have turned into her auxiliary closets. But the idea is no longer intriguing, as I've turned into a totally outdoor painter and my studio is as cheap as dirt literally!
Still, the idea of a lovely stone well lit studio in Provence or Tuscany could lure me. Anybody offering??????

57B6902D-87AD-44E2-A5F1-419CC4BB353F.jpeg
646AB15B-415E-419F-9B5E-F907125D5C01.jpeg

My studio is always a mess. There is a nice storage closet to the left of where I’m standing and west facing windows in back of me. The table near me is a big drafting table that has drawers for paper and tools. I mainly wanted to show you the shelves. Gene put up rain gutters for me. I can store framed and unframed paintings, clip on stuff, put bottles and other items. No painting needed and you can make them as long as you want. I’ve had the rain gutter shelves in my studio and galleries downtown. I’m getting a new iMac in a couple of weeks. This one is from 2007 and can’t be updated anymore. Maybe I’ll get organized for that!

Doing this makeover of "the room" was a little emotional I must say. Reckoning with a past and clearing a way for the future. Filling holes in the walls and changing their color. Taking away all the unneeded books of my old interests. Finding a photo of my grammy sitting in a chair. The chair is rigid and square but she stretches out low on it, finding comfort, refusing to be constrained by it's rigid structure, letting gravity win a little.

So this is the new state of things. I'm liking how this is looking now. The table can be moved to under the light and made flat or tilted up. The pallet table also rolls around. Who knows how long it will stay this neat but..... I do want to put up a few paintings. Not too many!

And with all these brushes, maybe two are filberts. So I need more brushes. :)

1668210623465.png

1668211289496.png

The top row on pegboard is oils. Middle is acrylics and the small tubes are watercolor. Top shelf is acrylics. Should have gotten larger clips as they barely fit on the hooks.

Wow John! How fantastic is all this!? It looks awesome! ♥️

I would never be able to keep my paints on a pegboard like that. I use oils and most of the are leaky, different size tubes, etc. It's just easier/neater for me to keep them all in a big caddy bin and pull them out as needed.

Earlier this week, I bought a new, used set of flat files and early this morning I set them up. I had to sandwich them between the two I already had, so it was a lot of work, plus I cleaned all the insides of the drawers, as they all needed to be rearranged anyway. Now everything is organized! :)

flatfiles.jpg

newflatfiles.jpg

Back