Stairway

Bongo

Was supposed to rain that day, but by 2pm still no clouds in sight - so I decided to go for it. Didn't have much daylight left and the pedestrian overpass is less than five minutes from my house - so I went there (again!)
stair1.jpg

I picked an out-of-the-way corner - look how clear the sky was, and how long the shadows were already. The yellow thing is a level. I've learned not to trust your eye when outside for setting the panel level.

The sketch - I've already started the block in
stairs2.jpg

Making progress
stair3.jpg

notice how I've let a brush handle roll into the paint on my palette - that I won't discover until
I've spread it all over my hands and clothes.

"Stairway" - oil on 18" x 14" panel

stairway2.jpg

Attachments

• stairway.jpg
    stairway.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Well done. I like the composition a lot and also you have a nice beige
color on that structure. That vertical pole on the left breaks up
that horizontal movement nicely.

This is wonderful! Your composition is spot on. I love the sweeping lines that curve up so nicely, with the strong vertical line on the left. It's really well done. :)

Very well done! It isn't easy looking at a big scene and picking out a small part of it to paint. You captured the interest very well. ❤️❤️

A good one Bongo IMHO. A nicely balanced composition cleanly presented.
I like it.

You impress me every time with your urban plein airs! It's nice how you simplified the view off to the left so our focus stays on the overpass. I really like this one, Bongo, especially the great graphic design.

Love the result! Your smooth paint handling works so well with this piece, and I'm amazed at what you've made of what (to me) would be a pretty unpromising scene - great job with the colours and composition. Thanks for the inspiration to not neglect views close to home.

It’s all been said already….. composition, paint handling…. A very good job!!

you pick such easy subjects 😅😂🤣

I would look at that and run .. nice work on a complicated scene.

Yes, great eye for an excellent composition Bongo. You did well in leaving out certain elements and focusing on the important parts of this. It's a great one. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Well done. I like the composition a lot and also you have a nice beige
color on that structure. That vertical pole on the left breaks up
that horizontal movement nicely.
Thanks Perry, I tried valiantly to mix the color of the bridge, but could not get it, so just went with the "happy"accident.

Terri - I'm a sucker for telephone poles, street signs, any strong vertical line.

Snowball, Trier, Donna - appreciate the comments. I'm trying to move away from painting people, places, and things, and just focus on design and composition.

Triss - thanks, - the secret to painting things close to home is to be lazy and ill-prepared - that narrows down your options quite easily.

Thanks Nu, you know I love your work too, but we should chill the PDA for a while.

Enyaw - Arty gave the secret to painting complicated scenes - leave out all the complicated stuff.

Lazarus, thanks - I like your drawing on the monthly challenge forum - way cool.

Very good color block in, good feeling of the spaces. Looks like it became more overcast as you progressed.

Really great painting. The composition and colour choices are both top notch, and it's a brilliant example for me of how to simplify a scene for maximum gain.
I also really enjoyed seeing the photos of the set-up and work in progress.

Not sure what you meant there Bongo.
Arty - Enway said he would run from painting a complicated scene. So I passed on your comment to me as advice for him -
"... leaving out certain elements and focusing on the important parts...." -

Barrie, Claudia - thank you for the kind words -- and it was getting dark - the sun sets here this time of year at 4:30 pm.

Back