Sobriety

Hausamann

Way back in 1981 I was diagnosed as an alcoholic. After detox and rehab I stopped drinking for two years. But that does not mean I had any resemblance of sobriety. I was a dry drunk. As the say, 'If you take the alcohol out of a fruitcake you still have a fruitcake'. Then I relapsed for several months and became abstinent for a few months, then relapsed and so on for the next seven years. In 1988, homeless and destitute, I was bleeding from every hole except my ears. I stopped drinking again.

When two years of sobriety approached I became anxious about relapsing again like my first attempt. To help me through the two year spell I decided to do a painting about what sobriety means to me. That is how this painting came about.

Not long before I started painting it, I lost everything in a fire. It seemed like a test for me, but I eventually embraced it as a new beginning. I moved to the city, got a job in electronics and rented a unit to live in. My furniture was a mattress on the floor and two chairs. One of the chairs became my easel.

Nth Ryde Studio.jpg

Even though I have been offered good money for this painting, I treasure it too much to sell it.
It has now been over 35 years since I've had a drink or drug.

sobriety1.JPG

Oh wow… you have been through so much and I hope your better days continue. Awesome painting - no wonder you can’t part with it. It holds so much meaning and maybe even provides a sense of strength and comfort when you need it. I’m sure many of us can relate to the images in your head like the can of worms and burning the candle at both ends!

What a stunning painting. So intricate, full of symbols- one to study on and ponder. No wonder you've been offered good money for it - and no wonder you can't part with it.

Thank you for sharing your backstory. The figure passed out on the park bench is riveting. Great work!

Hausamann, that's a great painting. Thanks for sharing your story, you're not alone on that path. I've been there, a lot of good people have been there, a lot are still struggling every day with alcohol.

Oh wow… you have been through so much and I hope your better days continue. Awesome painting - no wonder you can’t part with it. It holds so much meaning and maybe even provides a sense of strength and comfort when you need it. I’m sure many of us can relate to the images in your head like the can of worms and burning the candle at both ends!
Thanks Donna T for your kind words. Glad you can relate to the images.

What a stunning painting. So intricate, full of symbols- one to study on and ponder. No wonder you've been offered good money for it - and no wonder you can't part with it.

Thank you for sharing your backstory. The figure passed out on the park bench is riveting. Great work!
Kind words indeed. Thanks.

Hausamann, that's a great painting. Thanks for sharing your story, you're not alone on that path. I've been there, a lot of good people have been there, a lot are still struggling every day with alcohol.
Thanks ZenDruid. I agree with you about a lot of others having been there too. Let us hope that we all can become an inspiration for others to rise above their own life challenges.

Congratulations, Hausamann, on your sobriety. What a story is told by your wonderful painting. The symbolism in it will always be a reminder to you of what you've been through. Thanks for sharing your story and your painting. ❤️

Wow, that's hard journey you've been on. Seriously well done for coming out the other side. I love your painting, so full of meaning. I like how you've blended the landscape with the figure too. Thank you for sharing.

Once you realize you ain't missin' a thing, it gets a whole lot easier.

Terrific piece of art- you may want to trot that one by a gallery- it qualifies as the one that may make your name. Of course, that's a whole 'nother set of challenges, but I'm pretty sure you will surprise even yourself.

Congratulations- never give up, never surrender.

This is a few months late but I have to say your story means a lot to me. I stopped drinking August 2nd and haven’t gone back. Binge drinker since I was a teen. The painting gives me encouragement not to be “dry drunk” and Im starting to get what that means.

This is wonderful to see so many others who are members here who are "trudging the path to happy destiny" right beside me. It's wonderful to know there are others here. Thank you all for sharing about it!

I had my last drink on 5/5/'85 but I first started my effortts at sobriety in July of 1982---fell off several times, but it finally stuck in '85 when I buckled down on the rigorous honesty part. People have sometimes commented that I must have had my last drink at a Cinco de Mayo celebration but the truth is, I hadn't ever heard of Cinco de Mayo at the time.

I recently had a few TIA strokes and landed in the hospital for a few days where I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic as well. That got my attention, let me tell you! I'd bought a bunch of spendy watercolor sets and other supplies with a small inheritance a couple years ago and haven't used them very much, so my mind tells me I'd better kick myself in the pants and get busy or I won't have used hardly any of them before my time is up here on this earth. It would really break my heart, too, if I were to have a "big" stroke and just not be able to paint anymore and had to watch the stuff sit there unused.

During my sobriety I was widowed when my husband committed suicide via a heroin overdose. He was the love of my life but has been gone over 23 years now. We met in recovery but he just couldn't make it in the long run. I've also had two kids who are also addicted, one in recovery now but one still struggling. I raised two grandchildren from birth (one I got when she was less than 24 hours old, the other at five weeks) and I raised both till they were grown, most of that time as a disable widow but thankfully, in sobriety. Their mom is in recovery now, too.

I didn't have any time in a recovery center because mostly what was available here was just detox centers that a person had to pay for and even though it was only $7 a day, I didn't have that. I got sober in a nasty old basement by myself where people pee'd and I've been homeless and lived under bridges and stuff. I won't give my whole story because it really isn't interesting here I'm sure and besides, my "drunkalog" is pretty tame to most people's.

I'm glad I found this thread.

This is a few months late but I have to say your story means a lot to me. I stopped drinking August 2nd and haven’t gone back. Binge drinker since I was a teen. The painting gives me encouragement not to be “dry drunk” and Im starting to get what that means.
Welcome! Just keep hanging in there and putting the effort into it. It will work! I can tell you for sure that life sober beats the heck out of life drinking. I'm happy you're staying sober, :)

Thank you for your words Grizabella. You are brave. You have been through so much. HUGE hugs to you. ♥️

Back