Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

MaryKnos

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:

*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #9 Jan 13– Jan 21

Something musical

Something rare

A bird

Something wet

Something you could (or did) find on a walk

Something that fixes

Something red

Something with a weird shape or texture

A toy

Something strong

Something delicate

A vessel

A ring

Something orange

Something pink

Something glass

Something eerie

Something that sparks joy

A landscape

Challenge:
Try Stippling one of your drawings (the creation of a pattern simulating varying degrees of solidity or shading by using small dots.)

I try to do a mixed media with old Thai book + Chinese ink + drawing ink + Derwent Art Bar + markers in a 10x14 inch sketchbook.

#1 toy -- a dog model toy ... well my proportion is a bit off...
#2 pink -- a calculator
#3 bird -- a garden decoration in a bird shape
h9_toy_bird_pinkCalculator.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, that collage is so neat. KreativeK in the watercolor section and all over does a lot of sketches and collage in old books. Fun idea. She makes the book into a sketchbook. Fun!

I wiped off the MiTeintes paper and sketched a 5 minute quickie in soft pastels.
Number 1, something with weird shape or texture - anthurium plant (I think that is what it is)

csshfl9weird.jpg

anthurium.jpg

Hi art buddies, sorry I didn’t comment really, I just looked at all the pages of the last hunt and was wowed!! Beautiful, inspiring stuff!

Mary Knos. Thanks for hosting

Ai -totally cool collage

Jo - yep I recognize those oddball flowers...your pastels ROCK! Lov’em

Thanks for an interesting list Mary.

Ai, off to a great start already, love the collection and especially like the background of pages from an old book.

Jo, those flowers really pop with that great choice of background colour and the highlights.

Ai, that collage is so neat. KreativeK in the watercolor section and all over does a lot of sketches and collage in old books. Fun idea. She makes the book into a sketchbook. Fun!

I wiped off the MiTeintes paper and sketched a 5 minute quickie in soft pastels.
Number 1, something with weird shape or texture - anthurium plant (I think that is what it is)

View attachment 17186

View attachment 17187
Aye jo. In Hawaii they call it the little boy plan. Nicely drawn.

Joe
I try to do a mixed media with old Thai book + Chinese ink + drawing ink + Derwent Art Bar + markers in a 10x14 inch sketchbook.

#1 toy -- a dog model toy ... well my proportion is a bit off...
#2 pink -- a calculator
#3 bird -- a garden decoration in a bird shape
View attachment 17182
Super cool collage. Well done on the sketches.

Joe

Mary, thanks so much for the new list.

Ai, I like your mixed media background for the sketches. Nice dog shape and garden decoration.

Jo, nice job on the anthurium. They always remind me of my cousin who lived in Hawaii for a while. She always sent them to my mother for celebrations.

Our temps hit about 55 today so I took a ride over to the beach. This could have fit many items.
1 - something delicate (beach dunes) - watercolors (We have such erosion of the dunes here every year.)
2 - a bird

IMG_9378.jpeg

Thanks you all for kind words of my sketch.

Jo: Wowza on the uplifting flower/plat power.... love it.

Joan: Superb light effect on such serene beach scene ... well done.

Mary - thanks for the new list. I'll return later with comments but the work posted so far is inspiring!

Thanks for the new thread, Mary. Wonderful sketch of your ukulele, love the clever effect of the wood grain.

Ai - Amazing mixed media page! Brilliant items, and glorious chaos - I love it!

Jo - Great to see your bold and beautiful pastels back. Gorgeous colour contrasts, and I like those fine marks on the leaves.

Joan - Love the colour harmony in your dunes sketch, and wonderful marks for the grasses and the sand.

I'll try to keep up this week and get back to posting stuff. I've been doing lots of playing around with acrylics and oil pastels lately (not always with much success!).

#1 - Landscape. Field track and hedgerow. Acrylics/oil pastel, A2.
landscapesh.jpg

Also trying to keep up this time :)

Joan, lovely 'dunescape' and yes they can be so fragile = I really like your watercolour sketches, so fresh and with a wonderful light, You've probably mentioned it before but what size to you tend to work on when out sketching?

Mary, liking the juxtaposition of the ukele and the stool, good strong shapes

Triss, really like this - the field track looks very wet and muddy like most of those around me at the moment - definitely boot walking weather, Love the movement in the sky too/

Back